What's new

Tapatalk support

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What probable reason would an 'app' be chosen?
I will repeat myself:
  • (Automatic) Dark Mode (much easier on the eye in a dark room in the evening)
  • No ads (less distraction)
They both improve "reading (and exchanging) information".

The most important advantage of Tapatalk is instant push notifications, I use it 100% of the time to browse this forum and from last two days I was pretty shocked that how is it possible that there's no activity on the forum in last 48 hours because I haven't received a single push notification until I opened the app and found out it's no longer working :(

Second advantage is proper dark mode on mobile.

Can't you just enable the plug-in again for those of us who wishes to still use Tapatalk?

@XIII and @Asad Ali, we had dark mode before, I'm sure we will again (via the web).

I don't see any 'distracting ads' either with no modifications made to Diversion, Skynet and AiProtection.

Instant push notifications are what I explicitly avoid. I will read the forums when I can. Not when someone posts.

@XIII and @Asad AliInstant push notifications are what I explicitly avoid. I will read the forums when I can. Not when someone posts.

That's your choice and you can disable the notifications if you don't want that but not everyone likes that especially when you're in a one on one discussion with someone and prefers to reply as soon as possible after the other person.

One thing is for sure in case Tapatalk doesn't return, I will be present in the forum a lot less than I used to.

That's your choice too of course. But if I'm in a conversation I don't usually leave the forum either. :)

That's your choice too of course. But if I'm in a conversation I don't usually leave the forum either. :)

And refresh the page every few minutes to see if the other person replied or not lol, that's not practical at all. I prefer ease of use anytime over pretty designs.

Anyways I rest my case here and now it's up to @thiggins if he enables the plug-in or not, it's his decision after all and I respect that.

Fair enough. I'm not refreshing pages. I am merely reading the rest of the forum and each time I click on 'new posts' I see the latest responses (if I don't see the Alerts, first). :)

@XIII and @Asad Ali, we had dark mode before, I'm sure we will again (via the web).

I don't see any 'distracting ads' either with no modifications made to Diversion, Skynet and AiProtection.

Instant push notifications are what I explicitly avoid. I will read the forums when I can. Not when someone posts.
I've turned off the notification sounds in Tapatalk but kept the notifications in my phone's pulldown. I don't read the forums just because someone just posted but I use the notifications as a means to catch up and know if it's worthy of opening Tapatalk. Certainly helpful to know no one has posted in threads I follow so I'm not opening to find no activity.

An app is an app. Browsers and Tapatalk alike are apps to me on my phone. I was using one app for all forums, now I'm using 2. There's 6 forums I follow daily and many more that I've added to Tapatalk just by searching the web and choosing to open in Tapatalk. That's how I added snb forum to my frequent list in Tapatalk. Not a necessity just a tool I use for convenience.

If other forums decided to drop Tapatalk plugin support, I'd be more in line with what you're saying and thinking: why use two or more apps when you could use just one. I still use Tapatalk so I'm not liking using two and posting and browsing in browsers again is odd to me now. I could adapt; I've don't that before Tapatalk.

Trying to learn Tapatalk would be just as odd to you, I'm sure. It was odd to me once too. But once learned, speaking for myself, Tapatalk just became more convenient and natural to me. I'd likely be using pages and bookmarks with a browser to switch pages and forums in chrome. With Tapatalk it's just back and select forum and jump right in to threads I follow. What might appear as symantics is actually preference and familiarity. But I wouldn't switch to browser for all my forums followed unless more started dropping Tapatalk. For whatever reason support is dropped, I don't judge and won't continue to post and complain. I'm just trying to get my request known and explain Tapatalk's use to those not familiar with it. If Tapatalk is easy enough to maintain and isn't a matter of cost, I'd like to keep Tapatalk compatible. If it's cost and maintenance prohibited or even connected to ad revenue in any way, I understand. And I don't need an explanation. It's being considered unfavorable. I'll accept whatever decision is decided.

I wouldn't walk away from the value and shared knowledge I've found in the forum over that. I appreciate a place to go and find that.

Thanks @samep, we are all different and we all learn differently too.

I don't read the whole forum each day (or when I can) because it is casual reading for me, I do so to continually learn something new. Using something/anything for threads I follow would be limited to only what I know, and learning would stagnate I feel, for me.

A browser is not an app if you don't sign in. An app requires signing in and requires you to sell something of yourself too for an unknown future cost. That future cost is what I don't want to bet on.

Thanks @samep, we are all different and we all learn differently too.

I don't read the whole forum each day (or when I can) because it is casual reading for me, I do so to continually learn something new. Using something/anything for threads I follow would be limited to only what I know, and learning would stagnate I feel, for me.

A browser is not an app if you don't sign in. An app requires signing in and requires you to sell something of yourself too for an unknown future cost. That future cost is what I don't want to bet on.

I have a level of comfort too when it comes to signing in. I can use individual forum passwords in Tapatalk, keeping each unique.

I also use an ad blocker that filters trackers and beacons on my mobile and PC devices. That is, for however long a lifetime membership is. Lol. Just hoping that's long enough for however much longer I need it. This lifetime would be plenty; I won't need it where I'm going next. Hallelujah!

That's a weird definition of an "App"!

PS: a browser does often not even need you to sign in to still uniquely identify you... https://panopticlick.eff.org/

The other thing I like about Tapatalk is having most of the forums I frequent in one place, so no faffing with browser bookmarks and multiple tabs, and it's quick and easy to switch between them and it means a consistent UI for all of them.

@XIII, identifying you and giving an app permission to your data are two different things.

@MarkyPancake unless the app can read your mind which forum to show you, there is no effective difference to using bookmarks.

@samep I don't see that as benefits to just an app?

We are just wasting time by continuously arguing about the benefits of Tapatalk or why one should use it or not use it, I believe we've put enough bullet points on its advantages (or disadvantages if any--though the guys who look it as a disadvantage can simply choose not to use it---) so let's just chill out and let @thiggins decide.

Not wasting time, we're exchanging ideas. Regardless of what we discuss here, @thiggins has already decided.

I don't see any benefits to me for an app like Tapatalk, but I do appreciate the people that helped me understand it better. :)

As Tapatalk user i dont
approve the decision. That’s all.

@thiggins has already decided.

I haven't seen his any concrete reply after he asked for the advantages of Tapatalk but it he really decided not to enable the plug-in again then we're actually wasting time.

I'm not wasting time. :)

I'm not wasting time. :)

I've seen that and I don't feel like it's a concrete reply because if he really decided not to revert the decision then he should've simply lock this thread with a proper notice so that we know it's gone for sure. Letting this thread open and and grow will simply cause more trouble.

Hope dies last. :)

Letting people share isn't going to cause trouble, it lets them (possibly) share solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.