What's new

[Test build] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Busybox 1.25.1 test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running pretty basic setups, but no issues on either of my routers after 24 hours.

Just uploaded to my basic setup. Fine on both so far.

I'm using 380.65_A2 on RT-AC87U no issues worth reporting yet. Thanks, RMerlin.

ASUS RT-AC66U works without problems. Questions - When on the reverse side of the router or where not the version of any revision B or A, then it is what revision?

After a manual restart all works fine.
Thanks Merlin & have a Happy Christmas holiday

Busybox is a multi-function binary which allows embedded devices that don't have as much space and RAM as a real Linux computer to have access to a wide range of shell tools used by the OS, normally provided as separate packages. Things like the shell interpreter (ash), awk, grep, ping, the DHCP client, etc... - they are all provided as cut-down versions through Busybox. Since these tools are used extensively throughout the firmware, a Busybox upgrade is always at risk of breaking something in the least expected part of the firmware.

The main reason for upgrading Busybox is security, in addition to a wide range of minor bug fixes. Asuswrt-Merlin was running 1.20, and Asus's original firmware is on 1.17.4. We both had various tidbits backported from newer versions, but only a very limited amount of things were updated that way in the past.

I have uploaded some test builds based on the Busybox 1.25.1 upgrade implemented by theMIROn. This is the only change over 380.64 at this time:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

If you are willing to give these a test run, please do. I've ran it for over a week myself, everything I tested so far was looking good. Please treat this builds as being experimental for the time being. Be ready to do some troubleshooting if you run into any issue, such as re-testing with 380.64 to compare results.

Pretty much everything will need to be tested over time, but what is the most likely to break is any custom scripts users might have written. AB Solution has already been tested and confirmed to be working properly so far - that's one of the most complex scripts typically found on Asuswrt-Merlin routers so far. I also tested Download Master, which was one of the things that broke back when I upgraded to 1.20.2 a few years ago (I had to revert one specific update to fix it).
-----

I don't know if this is related to the new test build, but since installing it, I've noticed that find.synology.com (I have a synology NAS), returns a no NAS found on Lan message. I can still get into the NAS with other methods, and everything that needs to access it for backups and such works fine. Synology says the find approach relies on the NAS passively reporting itself, while the others are more active.

Brad

-----

I don't know if this is related to the new test build, but since installing it, I've noticed that find.synology.com (I have a synology NAS), returns a no NAS found on Lan message. I can still get into the NAS with other methods, and everything that needs to access it for backups and such works fine. Synology says the find approach relies on the NAS passively reporting itself, while the others are more active.

Brad

Try rebooting the NAS, maybe it needs to re-register with the router's dnsmasq.

So far @RMerlin there hasnt been any issues the router works just fine along with all my devices and apps so i guess its safe to move forward with this :)

and Merry Christmas to all of you :)

Everything seems to be working on the RT-AC68U with this alpha (HE IPv6 tunnel, OpenVPN connection, portforwarding)

Try rebooting the NAS, maybe it needs to re-register with the router's dnsmasq.
Thanks. I tried that, but still no joy. Since it used to work, and now does not, I'm thinking something subtle has changed, but I am unsure if it is router related.

Uptime of 380.65 A1 on my RT-AC3100 is at 4 days 23 hours 48 minute(s). Not a single issue. The GUI is really fast :)

I updated from 380.65 Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 and found a problem which doesn't seem related to OpenVPN. Ping Success rates to all of these(ISP gateway, hotmail and Google DNS server(8.8.8.8)) decrease significantly, while ping to router is stable. It used to be about 99.9% success rates in Alpha 1, but in Alpha 2, success rates are about 94-98%. I reverted back to Alpha 1 and everything is back to normal. I haven't done any reset for awhile, not sure if that will help. Does others have similar problem, or I should I try upgrading again and reset to defaults? I play online games such as Dota, so ping success rate is quite important.

I have one very important wish for me....I need the VLAN ID is different when activate IPTV and udpxy port....at the moment WAN and IPTV using same VLAN ID and then ISP's modem all lights start blinking...

I updated from 380.65 Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 and found a problem which doesn't seem related to OpenVPN. Ping Success rates to all of these(ISP gateway, hotmail and Google DNS server(8.8.8.8)) decrease significantly, while ping to router is stable. It used to be about 99.9% success rates in Alpha 1, but in Alpha 2, success rates are about 94-98%. I reverted back to Alpha 1 and everything is back to normal. I haven't done any reset for awhile, not sure if that will help. Does others have similar problem, or I should I try upgrading again and reset to defaults? I play online games such as Dota, so ping success rate is quite important.

The only single change since alpha 1 not related to OpenVPN is now the first hostname in the hosts file will be the user-defined router name rather than router.asus.com.

My guess is you just needed to reboot your router (which is what the flash back did effectively), or it was a temporary issue that disappeared during that time.

The only single change since alpha 1 not related to OpenVPN is now the first hostname in the hosts file will be the user-defined router name rather than router.asus.com.
My guess is you just needed to reboot your router (which is what the flash back did effectively), or it was a temporary issue that disappeared during that time.
I thought I already rebooted, but in any case, it's working now. After coming back to alpha 1, I reflashed alpha 2 and then rebooted the router, now everything work normally. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.