What's new

[Test build] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Busybox 1.25.1 test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Busybox is a multi-function binary which allows embedded devices that don't have as much space and RAM as a real Linux computer to have access to a wide range of shell tools used by the OS, normally provided as separate packages. Things like the shell interpreter (ash), awk, grep, ping, the DHCP client, etc... - they are all provided as cut-down versions through Busybox. Since these tools are used extensively throughout the firmware, a Busybox upgrade is always at risk of breaking something in the least expected part of the firmware.

The main reason for upgrading Busybox is security, in addition to a wide range of minor bug fixes. Asuswrt-Merlin was running 1.20, and Asus's original firmware is on 1.17.4. We both had various tidbits backported from newer versions, but only a very limited amount of things were updated that way in the past.

I have uploaded some test builds based on the Busybox 1.25.1 upgrade implemented by theMIROn. This is the only change over 380.64 at this time:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bj94sbhrh7e49/Test_Builds

If you are willing to give these a test run, please do. I've ran it for over a week myself, everything I tested so far was looking good. Please treat this builds as being experimental for the time being. Be ready to do some troubleshooting if you run into any issue, such as re-testing with 380.64 to compare results.

Pretty much everything will need to be tested over time, but what is the most likely to break is any custom scripts users might have written. AB Solution has already been tested and confirmed to be working properly so far - that's one of the most complex scripts typically found on Asuswrt-Merlin routers so far. I also tested Download Master, which was one of the things that broke back when I upgraded to 1.20.2 a few years ago (I had to revert one specific update to fix it).

If i install this test build. am i suppose to notice something special?
Only using my router in vanilla config.

If i install this test build. am i suppose to notice something special?
Only using my router in vanilla config.

No, just keep an eye for any unusual behaviour that wasn't there in 380.64. From the end user's point of view, the only "visible" difference is the System Log will report Busybox 1.25.1 instead of 1.20.2 at boot time. This change is something done really done at the inner levels of the firmware rather than at the forefront. That's why I'm focusing on a long-term betatest here rather than a short-term, feature-specific testing.

As @RMerlin says, the current AB3 is fully compatible with this change. Updating to this version will not break AB, even if Entware and pixelserv-tls (ps) is installed.
All development of AB is done on this version now since RMerlin kindly let me have an early build.

Router: RT-AC68U | Hw ver A2

Just installed 380.65_alpha1-g9b6ef84 _over_ 380.64 . No issues with the update and reboot. No unusual log entries thus far (other than log now reports '(busybox 1.25.1)'. Poking around in the webgui, no complaints thus far.

Router: RT-AC1900 with RT-AC68U connected as a wireless media bridge (upgraded both to 380.65_alpha1)

Installed over 380.64 - works fine for me - both IPv4 and IPv6 via Comcast, and a router-to-router openvpn connection to work.

AC-3200, entware running properly (transmission, nano ...)

Just flashed it on Asus AC68U rev C1, everything seems to be working as it should. Tried a few functions, none have any problem.

Goes without saying though - after the hard work, Busybox pushed out 1.26 (unstable), which the release noted that 1.25.1 is now consider the stable upstream release (which is good perhaps)

Goes without saying though - after the hard work, Busybox pushed out 1.26 (unstable), which the release noted that 1.25.1 is now consider the stable upstream release (which is good perhaps)

1.26 will include major changes to ash, so I wouldn't trust it for quite some time.

1.25.1 was chosen because it was a good point in time.

It will also be easier to update in the future, as we just covered a bit over two years of updates.

Upgraded my RT-AC87U from 380.64 to 380.65alpha1 with no issues. Busybox update works. Thanks for your hard work, RMerlin.

@RMerlin despite your post that we should expect a slowdown in your activities, it is impressive to see you still championing to make so many homes safe.

Kudos to you man!

3 months without new Asus GPL to merge freed up some time to work on other things that had been on my todo list for a long time. And in the busybox case, everything was entirely done my theMIROn, I only merged his code in.

I'm here

s.1482411135.jpg

s.1482411541.jpg

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 726
3 months without new Asus GPL to merge freed up some time to work on other things that had been on my todo list for a long time.
Hope there don't introduce too many bugs in that 3 months for you to fix. Maybe they will release almost stable one as they are taking longer time.

I've just flashed this over 64.beta1 on my RT-N66U and it seems fine although my setup is very simple. Performance with Firefox is solid and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.