What's new

<testers needed> [TUTORIAL] Minidlna through debian-entware-mipsel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How this works for you

• Working fine on my router

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Not working on my router

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not yet installed

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
Also, if I stop S99debian I can enable or disable iTunes server without CPU usage going up. But if I start S99debian, enable iTunes server, I get 100% CPU. So it's one or the other for me.

I don't have an apple device to test but I installed mt-daapd from debian and started succesfully, cpu usage remain low.
I you are interested I will share debian build.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I moved my 66U on to 48 Beta 2 since it has the inotify workaround.

Next project is to get an OpenVPN client going on an N16U to make a TAP connection to my 66U

Sometimes Minidlna doesn't start up - follow up 2

tried your suggestion, today minidlna works correctly, so I don't know if results are useful, but... here follows what you have asked:

After some other tests I can confirm that the problem was the usb to microsd adapter I used to connect the microsd where I installed Entware and minidlna. I moved the microsd into the internal microsd socket of the router. Now everything works properly and the minidlna server starts up every time I switch on the router. :)
Thank you for your help.

Rescan feature?

Is it possible to add rescan command? I mean: some times I add a new file on the media container, but Minidlna fails to add it to the database, or if I change the name of a file Minidlna doesn't update the db.... so, as far as I know, the only way to force a rescan is to stop the service, delete database directory and restart. Is it possible to add the rescan command? to avoid to go through the clear procedure described above... Maybe this is already available, but I'm a noob, so be patience.

I have a "Media" folder shared with minidlna. I have 159 Tom & Jerry episodes which I'd like to put in a subfolder, so that the media server list doesn't get flooded by Tom & Jerry.
The issue is that the minidlna doesn't show one entry for the subfolder, but instead shows all of the files in such subfolder. Is there a way to overcome this?
Thanks.

Every media file has its own name and will create a new entry in minidlna db, put 10-15 files in one directory if 159 are to much.
Another way is to use a video editing software that joins more episodes in one.

The issue is that in my clients I don't see the folder/subfolders structure. I only see the list of all of the media files, everything together.
I guess this is how DLNA works, but is there some workaround?

How and where do I install this minidlna webmin module?

The issue is that in my clients I don't see the folder/subfolders structure. I only see the list of all of the media files, everything together.
I guess this is how DLNA works, but is there some workaround?

There is an option in minidlna.conf, change to no and rebuild db
Code:
merge_media_dirs=yes

Code:
merge_media_dirs=yes

Also set: root_container=B

That way you get directly to "Browse Folders", without the Audio/Video/Photos structure where it lists everything. I like to rely on my own sorting/ordering of folders manually, and for that purpose "root_container=B" doest the job, making it basically like browsing smb/samba-style.

Code:
merge_media_dirs=yes

Thanks TeHashX, that's exactly what I meant.

Also set: root_container=B

That way you get directly to "Browse Folders", without the Audio/Video/Photos structure where it lists everything. I like to rely on my own sorting/ordering of folders manually, and for that purpose "root_container=B" doest the job, making it basically like browsing smb/samba-style.

Thanks, this is useful too.

Hi,

Occasionally, I download many videos (CES 2015) and cannot easily tell which I have watched. Not sure why many DLNA clients do not have this feature, like xbmc, so I decided to solve the problem.

I have implemented a watched checkmark that only works for Samsung TVs.

Summary:
When a video is stopped, Samsung TVs send out the message "X_SetBookmark", which contains the video position in seconds.
I use this existing function to:
1. Compute percentage of video watched
2. Get minidlna thumbnail location for the current video
2. Run a bash script and pass parameters - this may not be the most secure method, but I'm not a proficient C programmer and it's easier to customize the bash script later after minidlna is compiled.
3. Bash script will execute (graphicsmagick) to place a checkmark over the existing minidlna thumbnail cache

Screenshot:
Green checkmark placed in bottom right corner of "The Verge" video
http://i.imgur.com/94IW9rL.jpg

It works well for my Samsung F series TV, but there are a few caveats for my Samsung C series.

These actions may falsely trigger the script and create a watched checkmark:
1. Samsung C series - resuming a video
2. Quickly stopping a video in the beginning at position 0

More Info.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!