What's new

<testers needed> [TUTORIAL] Minidlna through debian-entware-mipsel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How this works for you

• Working fine on my router

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Not working on my router

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Not yet installed

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
I'm still using 1.1.2. Don't know how to create a patch. The new Samsungs can also support higher res thumbnails, I've also tweaked that from 160px standard to 480px.

I am interested in some new features in 1.1.4 and hope to try it soon.

1. what's new container
2. recently played container

I'm still using 1.1.2. Don't know how to create a patch. The new Samsungs can also support higher res thumbnails, I've also tweaked that from 160px standard to 480px.

I am interested in some new features in 1.1.4 and hope to try it soon.

1. what's new container
2. recently played container

Could you Upload in zip files scripts you changed in minidlna?

Attached.

CUSTOMIZED FILES:

1. Fix for both Samsung C & F Series to display thumbnails. The F series require JPEG_SM.
upnpsoap.c
clients.c
clients.h

2. Allow video thumbnails larger than 160px in cache directory
albumart.c

3. Bookmarks/resume playback patch. Included in 1.1.2
upnpsoap.c
clients.c
clients.h

4. Thumbnailer patch.
patching file Makefile.am
patching file albumart.c
patching file configure.ac
patching file inotify.c
patching file minidlna.c
patching file minidlna.conf
patching file minidlnatypes.h
patching file options.c
patching file options.h
patching file upnpglobalvars.h
patching file utils.c
patching file utils.h

5. Remove add an extra folder level if there are multiple media locations
scanner.c - comment out multiple media locations
http://sourceforge.net/p/minidlna/git/ci/cce9a012b32a3c9da23e7925de1118ec728a31e5/

Attachments

• upnpsoap.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Are you using v1.1.1? or you adapted the code to v1.1.4? In this case, please provide the patch.

Hi TeHashX,

Could you create patch for minidlna v1.1.4 based on attached zip file uploaded by hpp8140?

This worked extremely well for me on my N66, thanks.

However, since I installed this, I see the CPU has been pegged at 100%. I'm not noticing other performance drops, but it still seems not optimal.

What would be the best way of uninstalling debian? I know it must be a noob question.

This worked extremely well for me on my N66, thanks.

However, since I installed this, I see the CPU has been pegged at 100%. I'm not noticing other performance drops, but it still seems not optimal.

What would be the best way of uninstalling debian? I know it must be a noob question.
Cpu will go up only when is creating db, after that is idle, if you still want to remove it, stop S99debian and delete debian directory.
Warning!!!
If you don't stop S99debian, all media files will be deleted because media directory is mounted in /debian/mnt/

Last edited:
Thanks, and thanks for the warning.

I must have done something wrong along the way, because I am at 100% for days.

Sometimes Minidlna doesn't start up

Dear friends, I tested this amazing piece of software and it seems to work on my RT-N66U. Unfortunately I'm still having some issues: sometimes when I switch on the router, minidlna server doesn't start up automatically. I cannot understand why. I've installed Entware and minidlna stuff on a microsd plugged in a microsd-usb converter, connected to one of the usb port of the router. I suppose that sometimes the converter doesn't work properly, but I'm not sure. I'm going to use the microsd directly in the bay inside the router and see what will happen. You have to know that I'm a really newbie about Linux stuff, so if you have a smarter suggestion to test this problem, I'll try your ideas. Thank you for your time, and thank you to TeHashX for this wonderful enhancement.

Thanks, and thanks for the warning.

I must have done something wrong along the way, because I am at 100% for days.

Are you sure it stays 100% all time? Where do you see this, in System Status? wait for some time and see if will decrease because every time I open router home page will show cpu 100% and after 5-10 seconds shows idle.
Use top to see what is using your cpu
Code:
top -b -n1
9iwx8l.png

Dear friends, I tested this amazing piece of software and it seems to work on my RT-N66U. Unfortunately I'm still having some issues: sometimes when I switch on the router, minidlna server doesn't start up automatically. I cannot understand why. I've installed Entware and minidlna stuff on a microsd plugged in a microsd-usb converter, connected to one of the usb port of the router. I suppose that sometimes the converter doesn't work properly, but I'm not sure. I'm going to use the microsd directly in the bay inside the router and see what will happen. You have to know that I'm a really newbie about Linux stuff, so if you have a smarter suggestion to test this problem, I'll try your ideas. Thank you for your time, and thank you to TeHashX for this wonderful enhancement.

Type in terminal the next commands and post results here:
Code:
uname -a
mount
df
free

I guess I don't have to go much further than the first line:

Mem: 147176K used, 92536K free, 0K shrd, 71948K buff, 26244K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 100% sys 0.0% nic 0.0% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.03 1.01 1.00 2/63 1380
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
1018 1 xxxxxxx R 2636 1.0 0 99.9 mt-daapd -m

mt-daapd shows up twice more with no load. I have Media Server off and iTunes on in .47 firmware on my N66. I have both VPN servers on and the adblocker with combined hosts file activated, but other than that nothing fancy, so I'm not sure what this is.

Before, System Status operated as you suggested, pegged for a few seconds and then down to almost zero.

I guess I don't have to go much further than the first line:

Mem: 147176K used, 92536K free, 0K shrd, 71948K buff, 26244K cached
CPU: 0.0% usr 100% sys 0.0% nic 0.0% idle 0.0% io 0.0% irq 0.0% sirq
Load average: 1.03 1.01 1.00 2/63 1380
PID PPID USER STAT VSZ %VSZ CPU %CPU COMMAND
1018 1 xxxxxxx R 2636 1.0 0 99.9 mt-daapd -m

mt-daapd shows up twice more with no load. I have Media Server off and iTunes on in .47 firmware on my N66. I have both VPN servers on and the adblocker with combined hosts file activated, but other than that nothing fancy, so I'm not sure what this is.

Before, System Status operated as you suggested, pegged for a few seconds and then down to almost zero.

What is mt-daapd, a media server? I see is using 99.9% cpu

I think mt-daapd is the iTunes server. I will try disabling it and see if that makes a difference.

If i dsiable iTunes server, CPU drops to 0. Re=enable it, pegged at 100%, disable down to 0. I dont actually have any music iin the mounted drive, so I don't think it is choking on a file, but I dunno. Some interaction between enabling minidlna this way with the Itunes server.

Sometimes Minidlna doesn't start up - follow up 1

Type in terminal the next commands and post results here:
Code:
uname -a
mount
df
free

tried your suggestion, today minidlna works correctly, so I don't know if results are useful, but... here follows what you have asked:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Sun Aug 17 20:10:02 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U-FE38:/tmp/home/root# uname -a
Linux RT-N66U-FE38 2.6.22.19 #1 Sun Aug 17 16:10:39 EDT 2014 mips GNU/Linux
admin@RT-N66U-FE38:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/Archivio type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)
/dev/sdb1 on /tmp/mnt/Entware type ext3 (rw,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
devfs on /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
proc on /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/mnt type ufsd (rw,nodev,noatime,nls=utf8,fmask=0,dmask=0,force)
admin@RT-N66U-FE38:/tmp/home/root# df
Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                25152     25152         0 100% /
tmpfs                   119856      2296    117560   2% /tmp
devfs                   119856         0    119856   0% /dev
/dev/mtdblock4            5632       408      5224   7% /jffs
/dev/sda1            625129280 476105780 149023500  76% /tmp/mnt/Archivio
/dev/sdb1              7510507    480699   6642044   7% /tmp/mnt/Entware
devfs                   119856         0    119856   0% /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/dev
/dev/sda1            625129280 476105780 149023500  76% /tmp/mnt/Entware/debian/mnt
admin@RT-N66U-FE38:/tmp/home/root# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        239712        85288       154424            0        28892
-/+ buffers:              56396       183316
Swap:            0            0            0

If i dsiable iTunes server, CPU drops to 0. Re=enable it, pegged at 100%, disable down to 0. I dont actually have any music iin the mounted drive, so I don't think it is choking on a file, but I dunno. Some interaction between enabling minidlna this way with the Itunes server.

Also, if I stop S99debian I can enable or disable iTunes server without CPU usage going up. But if I start S99debian, enable iTunes server, I get 100% CPU. So it's one or the other for me.

It's like you said, I tested myself but unfortunately can't do anything, sorry.

Or maybe install mt-daapd from debian and disable router built in version.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!