What's new

Solved Text Notifications on Android Phones

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't think the DDNS client will work at all based on what Eric said in that thread, with or without a cert. Has it worked before like this?
Maybe it hasn't worked properly since I've had the issue with the Androids for a while but I thought it was just an Android thing, until I started really testing and researching.
I'm not saying the issue with what I was experiencing with the Notifications on the Androids was a result of this...or could it be?
Like I said on my previous post, I basically reset the router and put it how it was except the DDNS option.

I use pihole as well and thought maybe that could have been the issue, but I noticed that even with the Pihole completely offline, I was still having the issue...until I reset the router.
I don't have many configurations at all.. I even use the Pihole using the DNSFilter instead of in the LAN DNS.. I prefer it that way.

But anyway, so resetting the router didn't really remove much.. just a basic DNSmasq for SafeSearch and that's pretty much it. But this issue with the Androids have been there way before me starting using Pihole.. I just learned to accept it....And even though I've reset the router several times, I always ended up setting DDNS...never occurred to me to just try without it and see because I didn't even think it would be causing the issue with the Notifications.... But, I don't know...maybe it's a coincidence that resetting the router may have fixed whatever was causing that issue... I guess I would never know.

So, for now, I guess since I have no option to set the ISP modem on bridge mode.. I will just keep using OpenDns updater little software they have.

You don’t need a Let’s Encrypt certificate to use DDNS, so just set it to None.
I've reading and watching videos on ssl certificates and based on my little understanding.. this is mainly for folks who have websites or servers.. to make them more secure?
Is that right? - I will give this a try and start using with None as the option to see how that goes...it's much easier than having to install and make sure the OpenDns updater software is running on every computer.

What are you using DDNS for? Are you connecting back to your home network from outside via that DDNS host name, or doing port redirection from outside to a local LAN service? An OpenDNS updater client should only need to run on one machine, provided it's connected to the internet constantly, not every one.

What are you using DDNS for? Are you connecting back to your home network from outside via that DDNS host name, or doing port redirection from outside to a local LAN service? An OpenDNS updater client should only need to run on one machine, provided it's connected to the internet constantly, not every one.
Just using dns-o-matic to auto update the IP address to OpenDns. That way I don't have to use the OpenDns software... nothing crazy lol

Just using dns-o-matic to auto update the IP address to OpenDns. That way I don't have to use the OpenDns software... nothing crazy lol
OK. Sorry, was just trying to understand why you need a DDNS client in the first place - maybe I'm missing something. If you're updating OpenDNS with your IP, then are you using OpenDNS as your upstream DNS service from your Pi-hole and using their Family Shield service?

OK. Sorry, was just trying to understand why you need a DDNS client in the first place - maybe I'm missing something. If you're updating OpenDNS with your IP, then are you using OpenDNS as your upstream DNS service from your Pi-hole and using their Family Shield service?
Correct.

OK. Now I have the picture, I too use OpenDNS Family Shield as my upstream DNS service from my Pi-hole's.

I don't think the DDNS client will work in your scenario at all based on the double NAT situation and the non-routable WAN IP the Asus router is getting. My guess is you're best off running that OpenDNS IP Updater Client on a machine to keep your dynamic IP in sync so that the Family Shield settings work as expected.

OK. Now I have the picture, I too use OpenDNS Family Shield as my upstream DNS service from my Pi-hole's.

I don't think the DDNS client will work in your scenario at all based on the double NAT situation and the non-routable WAN IP the Asus router is getting. My guess is you're best off running that OpenDNS IP Updater Client on a machine to keep your dynamic IP in sync so that the Family Shield settings work as expected.
Oh, didn't know that having double NAT would hinder updating OpenDns with my IP using Dns-o-matic. Why would the OpenDns client work, but not through DDNS?
Is there a way to easily test this to make sure ddns is not working?

Oh, didn't know that having double NAT would hinder updating OpenDns with my IP using Dns-o-matic. Why would the OpenDns client work, but not through DDNS?
Is there a way to easily test this to make sure ddns is not working?
Based on what Eric said in that thread, the Asus DDNS client relies entirely on using the WAN IP of the router it's running on to send the update to the DDNS service - in this case it's a 192.168.x.x IP which would not be acceptable to OpenDNS and would fail.

The OpenDNS IP Updater client likely does an "external check" and is able to figure out what your actual WAN IP is when it's reaching out to the Internet (ie: the WAN IP on your ISP modem/router).

Based on what Eric said in that thread, the Asus DDNS client relies entirely on using the WAN IP of the router it's running on to send the update to the DDNS service - in this case it's a 192.168.x.x IP which would not be acceptable to OpenDNS and would fail.

The OpenDNS IP Updater client likely does an "external check" and is able to figure out what your actual WAN IP is when it's reaching out to the Internet (ie: the WAN IP on your ISP modem/router).
but doesn't ddns do an external check according to this?

1632012034355.png

Sounds like that may not be fool proof, perhaps this is one of those situations. I'd have to defer to @RMerlin on the details there as I'm not sure.

AX9fS3q.png
Yeah when reading that, it does sound like it "would" work, but if you're not sure.. .imagine me! haha.

DDNS with external IP detection works perfectly in double NAT, @shabbs.
In that case, this should be working.

@macster2075 - no need for a cert in your use case and you can set that to "none". You should be able to see what IP was updated for your OpenDNS profile to confirm it's working.

In that case, this should be working.

@macster2075 - no need for a cert in your use case and you can set that to "none". You should be able to see what IP was updated for your OpenDNS profile to confirm it's working.
Great... thanks guys for your help!
At least the main issue I had with the Notifications is now gone!
Enjoy the rest your weekend.

I remember even OpenVPN file export picking up the external IP in Asuswrt-Merlin. In Asuswrt I had to edit the file to make it work.

So I should be fine using DDNS with dns-omatic to update OpenDns with my IP then?

Not familiar with this service, sorry. I use No-IP and no problem with double/triple NAT whatsoever. This is how I test Asus routers. None of them gets external IP behind my firewall.

I ended up resetting the router to factory settings and put it back how I had it except the DDNS option which I had it setup with dns-o-matic to update the IP address since I use OpenDns.
Now all notifications work on the Androids. It must have been something weird going on in some setting that affected the Android phones, but not the iPhones.

Is it possible that you had some weird value inside some of the "WiFi / Professional" settings, stuff maybe related to DTIM interval or similar (this is the way devices come out of sleep to check if some packets are waiting on WiFi).