What's new

Thanks for the forum software update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed many forums choose XenForo now, why is that?
Not sure if the old one was vBulletin but certainly had that early 2000s vBulletin look. I remember it was the king of forum software until it became a bloated mess.

I am surprised by XebForo since its the new kid on the block with paid software, since forums are a relic of the internet. Most people moved to social media and reddit. I feel sorry for phpBB and myBB as they have the noble cause of creating foss forums but the demand is dying.

The new software is definitely more responsive. Thanks for all the hard work!

I could change that setting. But do you really need it to be wider?
I would like it wider but I guess the real test is how does it look on a 4K monitor? Already in 1440 it's a pretty small column in the center of the screen.

I just disabled
Code:
.p-body-inner {
    max-width: 1200px;

}

and I like it. I've looked at some other forums I visit, some have full width, some have fixed width but larger than here currently.

Not sure if its possible, but it would be nice on the mobile theme if there was a page selector for threads on the subforum overview much like the desktop theme

For reference, my miserly 1024x768 here could tolerate a touch smaller and/or lighter body font... back toward the as-installed default... similar to what is currently in the quotes.

OE

Nice to have syntax highlighting in code boxes. Just wondering if it's possible to rename or alias Bash to Shell to avoid confusion.

Bash:
#!/bin/sh

echo "<3"

I noticed many forums choose XenForo now, why is that?

Because it is better than other offerings, has huge community support and is very flexible.

Kier Darby and others from the original vBulletin days are behind XenForo which is now 10 years old.

SNB forums previously ran an early version of XenForo .

Am I the only one here who genuinely preferred the old look? Yes, the new one loads faster, but that's where the improvements stop for me. Fonts on mobile still seem too bold for everything, and still too subtle a difference between read and unread (only slightly bolder) thread headings. It would also be nice to be able to jump to any page in a thread with a control at the top of each page, not just at the bottom.

Edit: It looks like my biggest complaint has been resolved: the default font is no longer excessively bold, and there is now enough difference between read and unread threads to be able to see it easily. Thanks @thiggins

Last edited:
Yes...

And also font choices for Bold/Normal to see new/unread threads.

It's indeed hard to distinguish read from unread posts now, both on this tablet and on my computer's calibrated monitor.

Speaking of this tablet, the responsive layout is very nice, I don't think I'll be missing Tapatalk at all.

Am I the only one here who genuinely preferred the old look? Yes, the new one loads faster, but that's where the improvements stop for me. Fonts on mobile still seem too bold for everything, and still too subtle a difference between read and unread (only slightly bolder) thread headings. It would also be nice to be able to jump to any page in a thread with a control at the top of each page, not just at the bottom.

One great feature I just noticed is you can jump to a quoted post by clicking on that small arrow in the quote header.

Maybe just a placebo effect, but it really does seem like the site is a lot snappier now... Just opening new pages is pretty much instant (it wasn't super slow before, but it's noticeably quicker now)

Looks much nicer too, cheers for the effort over the weekend!

There are quite a few unpleasant ad links though like amazon-adsystem.com, adnxs.com, gooogletagmanager.com etc I count five with red flags by uBlock Origin which makes me much more hesitant now to white list the site as it was before. It does look and run much better though. Great job.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'll be taking another pass at tweaks this coming weekend, perhaps with a new template.
@Killhippie please post a screenshot of the "unpleasant ad links".

Did the font change?

I find it harder to read and I’m not sure why... (too condensed? too bold? ...?)

A touch too big and bold on 1024x768. The defaults after the upgrade and before the tweaks were better for my display.

When experimenting with the next theme, I suggest living with it for a few days before tweaking fonts.

OE

A touch too big and bold on 1024x768. The defaults after the upgrade and before the tweaks were better for my display.

When experimenting with the next theme, I suggest living with it for a few days before tweaking fonts.

OE

There's been a change... looks better!

OE

Status
Not open for further replies.