What's new

Thanks for the forum software update

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One change I noticed is the "Mark forums read" option.

Before you would have a choice to mark just that sub-forum you were in as read or all the forums as read.

Now the only choice is to mark all forums as read.

Go up to the forum/subforum list and use the "Mark read" button to the right at the top of the forum list

Go up to the forum/subforum list and use the "Mark read" button to the right at the top of the forum list

OK I see now we have two buttons one at the top for mark all forums and one in each sub.

Before had like this:

Annotation 2020-07-21 081312.jpg

@thiggins

Request: Is there some way to color the background of stickied posts? aka highlight the background.

Post Highlight Snip 1.png

Aside from being what you are accustomed to, are there any advantages to using Tapatalk vs. the new format?

The most important advantage of Tapatalk is instant push notifications, I use it 100% of the time to browse this forum and from last two days I was pretty shocked that how is it possible that there's no activity on the forum in last 48 hours because I haven't received a single push notification until I opened the app and found out it's no longer working :(

Second advantage is proper dark mode on mobile.

Can't you just enable the plug-in again for those of us who wishes to use Tapatalk?

@adflyer Check the feed now
Unfortunately still looks to be including every new post. Also, part of what makes it so bad (besides the quantity) is that rather than linking to the new post, each entry in the RSS feed links to the start of the thread, it's not even a link to the new post...

Some observations...

Great community tool upgrade... thanks!

I like the current fonts when viewing/editing posts on my 1024x768 display... very sharp and crisp and readable.

I like the unread boldness... it stands out. As others have noted, sticky threads could standout more to improve browsing, but I'm learning their new look which helps.

The title font in forum and thread lists could go a touch smaller here to put more words on one line... perhaps the thread list title font could be more like the child level of posts and less like the parent level forum list.

I notice that there is a 'diskette' tool in the editor toolbar for deleting drafts... that's handy... sometimes I don't like what I write and would rather get rid of it than have it hang around as a draft fail.

OE

It used to be that if you clicked on the message number of post, you could copy the link to paste into another post. Now it just takes you to the post (which is where you already were). You have to right click and copy the link address now to do that.

You have to right click and copy the link address now to do that.

That's how I always do it everywhere... maybe the forum software maker is conforming to this method.

OE

I agree that the fonts are too big. Less information presented is not a good thing when reading the entire forum each day.

Dark Mode is a must-have feature. I hope it gets added soon either as the default or as a toggle-able option.

When clicking on 'new posts' (the only way I read the forums), it doesn't indicate how many there may be, just lists the pages. I miss the old way here too.

Many positive changes with the upgrade, but a couple of more tweaks to carry forward the greatness from the old forum would be ideal. :)

I notice that there is a 'diskette' tool in the editor toolbar for deleting drafts... that's handy... sometimes I don't like what I write and would rather get rid of it than have it hang around as a draft fail.

It was already there - I used that feature a lot in the past.

Anyone else think these fonts are still too big?

I suspect this is to make the interface more touch-friendly. Personally it doesn't really bother me.

It was already there - I used that feature a lot in the past.

Yeah, my first thought when I discovered it... it was probably there all along. :rolleyes:

OE

I agree that the fonts are too big. Less information presented is not a good thing when reading the entire forum each day.

Dark Mode is a must-have feature. I hope it gets added soon either as the default or as a toggle-able option.

When clicking on 'new posts' (the only way I read the forums), it doesn't indicate how many there may be, just lists the pages. I miss the old way here too.

Many positive changes with the upgrade, but a couple of more tweaks to carry forward the greatness from the old forum would be ideal. :)
Agreed, but on a positive note to @thiggins, this current format is vastly improved from the way it initially appeared on the first day of the changeover. I suspect that many of us will get used to the new formatting, after a bit of an adjustment period. Bravo overall.

I suspect this is to make the interface more touch-friendly. Personally it doesn't really bother me.

Just the font is bigger - I lined up the pics so you could also compare the height of the interface on the new versus the old and they are identical.

Now that I have reached a certain age, I find the glare of the white screen quite startling, almost to the point that I can feel my eyes straining. I didn’t realise that I would miss Dark Mode so much.
I am sure it will happen, if that’s the only thing to complain about then things aren’t too bad!

The sticky post styling is really nice, allows them to more easily stand out (they were too often missed/skipped by visitors, as I am frequently reminded by some people's posts...)

One new feature you might have missed is the ability to ignore a user's posts. Click/tap/hover on the user's avatar and the button is on the user profile that pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.