What's new

spdMerlin The future of spdMerlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

From what I've seen, Asus' speedtest inclusion in 386 looks very good, making me unsure if I should continue with spdMerlin as a project.

For anyone running 386, is there anything spdMerlin does that Asus' doesn't, and vice versa?

Been a while, but your project has the ability to run regular speed checks on a schedule as I recall?
I don’t see where that is possible on the new Asus set up...?

For my modest needs though, the Asus nails it.

Been a while, but your project has the ability to run regular speed checks on a schedule as I recall?
I don’t see where that is possible on the new Asus set up...?

For my modest needs though, the Asus nails it.
It does, yes. In addition to scheduled runs spdMerlin can also test VPN Client interfaces. From what I can see in screenshots posted online, that's all spdMerlin does that Asus' tool doesn't :(

From what I've seen, Asus' speedtest inclusion in 386 looks very good, making me unsure if I should continue with spdMerlin as a project.

For anyone running 386, is there anything spdMerlin does that Asus' doesn't, and vice versa?
I find the scheduled runs to be very helpful in monitoring my internet access. At one point, I was having intermittent drops in speed that turned out to be a cable problem,
I also like the export function.

Asus has more eye-candy and it likely great for the casual home user. But, spdMerlin has more useful features for the "advanced" user.

Imo spdmerlin is so much better than Asus' implementation. It supports the automatic Speedtest and there is also a way to specify which servers to use. So much better. I don't like how Asus' speedtest seems simplified. It's prob just for normal users to just click and check their internet speed ASAP.

I appreciate the regular intervals of speedtests so much since it tells me when there are problems with my internet and with connmon it makes these awesome graphs . And I have used those two graph as proof when I was complaining to my isp about it being problematic. Which happens at the same time every day. And the option to output the graphs results is awesome!!

I actually think this and connmon are some of the best scripts out there. And they are the reason I even got an Asus router. Because of Merlin firmware and the awesome scripts made by the community ...

The most useful thing I find with spdMerlin is the scheduled speed tests. I check the speeds every morning before work and kids school starts, and usually can see if there is anything going on with internet speeds due to cable modem reboots needed, etc. It's been very handy for this and while I haven't upgraded to the 386 code base FW to see what the new speed test looks like, this is one options I'd miss.

As i run 3 vpn clients i find you app invaluable for monitoring them ,asus app does not provide that. Thanks @Jack Yaz for all you hard work.:)

I agree with others here....SPDmerlin doing the scheduled test among other things makes it far superior than the Asus tool.

I'm working on some eye candy....

7146b75a86.gif

spdMerlin will stop cake for the duration of the test
Thanks for the quick response. I don't know of the ins/outs but I'm curious as to why cake has to be stopped? Is it possible to run the speedtest while cake is running or it would mess something else up? I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't know of the ins/outs but I'm curious as to why cake has to be stopped? Is it possible to run the speedtest while cake is running or it would mess something else up? I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks again.
cake is turned off to ensure speedtest traffic isn't subjected to qos bandwidth limits, so you always get an accurate picture of your maximum speed

The in-page speedtest is available on develop, if anyone wants to give it a test. Depending on how "busy" the router is, the test sometimes doesn't refresh as smoothly as intended. I'm not sure I can fix that

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!