What's new

The RT-AC68U is up for preorder!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FYI mine shipped arrived early! I set it up last night - My first AC router. We only have one AC compatible machine (my wife's macbook air), and the network connectivity on that FLIES!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/AC1900?rank=6

ASUS has a big problem in 2.4 GHz uplink.

Couldn't get the PCE-AC68 to link at 600 Mbps with it or the NETGEAR R7000 either.

Tim - does the (more or less) graceful degradation of the Netgear 2.4ghz uplink between approx 30-45dB of attenuation vs the pretty flat performance of the Asus model (in that same zone) give you any insight on where the root of Asus's problem may lie? Or is it so weird that it's difficult to speculate?

Tim - does the (more or less) graceful degradation of the Netgear 2.4ghz uplink between approx 30-45dB of attenuation vs the pretty flat performance of the Asus model (in that same zone) give you any insight on where the root of Asus's problem may lie? Or is it so weird that it's difficult to speculate?
The IxChariot plots show the ASUS has consistently low 2.4 GHz uplink throughput.

I could guess a lot of things. The point is, ASUS has the problem, NETGEAR doesn't.

The IxChariot plots show the ASUS has consistently low 2.4 GHz uplink throughput.

I could guess a lot of things. The point is, ASUS has the problem, NETGEAR doesn't.

Fair enough, I figure that you see/test many manufacturers that use similar or identical SoC's and/or radios and might see these kind of weird results from time to time. These both being such similarly spec'd units (BCM4708/9 SOC w/ 2 x BCM4360 radios and 3 external antennas) that it's (hopefully) something Asus can improve upon w/ f/w updates and probably not some systemic problem w/ the underlying components? I'm not "rooting" for either, I couldn't care less, it's just interesting to see such a disparity in that test.

Thanks again for posting some #s on these two such new items, it will be interesting to compare full benchmarks on them to potential re-tests down the road aways when they've had more time to work on & improve the f/ws. And if client devices get released that can actually take advantage of any of this stuff...thanks for all your hard work Tim, much appreciated.

I just got my RT-AC68U today. Gonna set it up later this afternoon. Oh Merlin, when can we expect a version of your firmware for this new router?

Not until I get one and have time to work on it.

Tim, since you got to test Netgear R7000 - can you please confirm if it has a cooling fan?

I am curiuos to see if Asus has fixed the issued with the AC-router so I have ordered an Asus AC68U and and Asus USB-AC53 just for the sake - let the money burn away...
Hope to get it in the end of the week....

Not until I get one and have time to work on it.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/AC1900?rank=6

ASUS has a big problem in 2.4 GHz uplink.

Couldn't get the PCE-AC68 to link at 600 Mbps with it or the NETGEAR R7000 either.

Yea Ii was a bit disappointed with the asus-PCE ac68, linked to the 5ghz and then the following day could not connect to any of my network whether it was 2.4 or 5ghz .:mad:

Uninstall the Asus software and reinstall and still the same. Gonna return it and try the Dlink USB AC.

Experience with RT-AC68U from Newegg

Well I have my RT-AC68U from Newegg... It was not being nice at all...
It took no time flat once I realized the factory firmware was NOT the most recent and the wireless kept shutting down... and would take almost 30 min to authenticate to Verizon... Was pulling my hair out..

Flashed it to the "Release" firmware, cleared NVRAM, PPPoe authenticated on the first try.. Still deciding on SSID's but did get a pleasant surprise.. Hooked my Clear Informark up to the USB 2 port, enabled dual wan, and it just worked... Also changed the ratio since my DSL actually is slower than the clear, but a bit more reliable uplink... Load balancing.. JUST WORKS... Trying to set aside blocks of IP for DHCP reservations and it keeps kvetching about the VLAN range.. No where have I found where the range is set for VLANs.. Have a proxy server and a few devices I want on fixed IPs, like an access point, network printer, proxy server and a few other server devices...

Yes there seems to be some wireless glitches in range and such, but overall its not a bad router, esp if you need/want connection load balancing and fallback.. This feature seems to work pretty darn well...

Really looking forward to Merlin and SSH logins to the modem =)
-J

Still waiting for mine - is going to be tbe shipped on the 24:th of october. I find it funny that Asus on their top rank router does not even bother to have the latest f/w installed when they ship it......
Just get the money and the buyers to ..... ????

I wond3r how the Linsys EA6900 users are having for experiences ?

Well I have my RT-AC68U from Newegg... It was not being nice at all...
It took no time flat once I realized the factory firmware was NOT the most recent and the wireless kept shutting down... and would take almost 30 min to authenticate to Verizon... Was pulling my hair out..

Flashed it to the "Release" firmware, cleared NVRAM, PPPoe authenticated on the first try.. Still deciding on SSID's but did get a pleasant surprise.. Hooked my Clear Informark up to the USB 2 port, enabled dual wan, and it just worked... Also changed the ratio since my DSL actually is slower than the clear, but a bit more reliable uplink... Load balancing.. JUST WORKS... Trying to set aside blocks of IP for DHCP reservations and it keeps kvetching about the VLAN range.. No where have I found where the range is set for VLANs.. Have a proxy server and a few devices I want on fixed IPs, like an access point, network printer, proxy server and a few other server devices...

Yes there seems to be some wireless glitches in range and such, but overall its not a bad router, esp if you need/want connection load balancing and fallback.. This feature seems to work pretty darn well...

Really looking forward to Merlin and SSH logins to the modem =)
-J

Still waiting for mine - is going to be tbe shipped on the 24:th of october. I find it funny that Asus on their top rank router does not even bother to have the latest f/w installed when they ship it......

How can they install a two weeks old firmware on inventories that were mass manufactured in the past 4-6 weeks?

When a new product gets launched, production is launched a few weeks before the product hits the shelves, so they can be enough inventories in the pipeline for all the distributors.

Asus can inform with a sticker on the outside of the box that the first thing is to update the f/w before going on with the set-up- I think for that price that Asus is asking for this product it is not to ask for something to big of them.

How can they install a two weeks old firmware on inventories that were mass manufactured in the past 4-6 weeks?

When a new product gets launched, production is launched a few weeks before the product hits the shelves, so they can be enough inventories in the pipeline for all the distributors.

FYI

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

And this information on the Asus download site :

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.205
The first version of fireware for RT-AC68U
File Size 26.14 MBytesupdate

So I find this not reassuring that Asus has not even updated the latest info on f/w on their own pages.....

FYI

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.217
Added:
- 2.4GHz beamforming UI option.
- Roaming assistant: allow to set the minimum RSSI to disconnect clients and let clients reconnect to Ap with better signal.
- Enhanced the USB and NAT throughput.

Fixed:
- Fixed quick internet setup UI issues when setup the router by wireless client.
- Fixed WPS push button related issues.
- Fixed IPv6 related issues.

Asus can inform with a sticker on the outside of the box that the first thing is to update the f/w before going on with the set-up- I think for that price that Asus is asking for this product it is not to ask for something to big of them.

They did better than that. When you run the Quick Internet Setup, it automatically checks for the presence of a new firmware, and will offer you to update your router.

Not sure if Asus had published that original release for LiveUpdate yet however, but they did everything to ensure that they can have routers updated as soon as they are being configured by new owners.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!