What's new

Anyone tried the ExpertWifi routers yet? EBR63, EBM68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

o-l-a-v

Regular Contributor
I'm looking into buying a pair of EBM68, but there aren't much info as in objective feedback and experience on how well these devices work yet. Here's what I've found so far:
I've read the manual on EBM68 which cleared up some things about VLAN. Seems it can do trunking (all or some), and that SSIDs can be linked to a VLAN.
Does anyone have any experience to share with us here? Some specific questions I have:
  1. AP Mode and VLAN: If I decide to go for something else for the routing part, say pfSense. Can I use EBM68 as AP with multiple SSIDs tied to different VLANs?
  2. Stability on wireless backhaul? I had 2x XT8 back in the day, never got the wireless backhaul stable enough for home office use, had to sell them and go back to Nest Wifi.
  3. Lifetime/EOL/EOS: Any info on what Asus promises in terms of support for ExpertWifi products?
    • Some routers are supported for an unprecedented period of time, like RT-AC68U. While others are EOL-ed way to early, my RT-AC3200 comes to mind (did not get any new features, like AiMesh).
    • Found a support page for Singapore saying EBR63 and EBM68 will reach end of support on the 30th of December 2026 already:
      https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1051375/

Both look very similar to RT-AX58U and ZenWiFi XT9 hardware with different marketing. Both run Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 firmware with white skin on top and mixed elements from standard consumer Asuswrt GUI. Seems like more marketing involved than true business class product. This 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware obviously has some issues causing delays in Pro routers firmware update. Only two models so far have official 3.0.0.6 release. All the rest are on beta. What makes you think this product line is different?

I've been out of the Asus network space for some years. I assumed the "ExpertWifi" branding and "for SMBs" included a greater focus on stability and quality. But maybe not?

This 3.0.0.6 firmware was advertised long time ago and many folks purchased Pro models. They are still waiting. The beta was published about one year ago, but most Pro routers still run 3.0.0.4 firmware. This situation makes me think there are issues to be solved. ExpertWiFi was introduced on 3.0.0.6 and I'm in doubt it's prime time ready.

Both run Asuswrt 3.0.0.6 firmware with white skin on top and mixed elements from standard consumer Asuswrt GUI.
The UI has some unique elements beyond just the color scheme. You can add widgets to the main page for enhanced network monitoring.

I like the changes. Current Asuswrt GUI is from what... around year 2010? Needs refresh badly.

More interesting for me is the fact 3.0.0.6 runs on hardware that appears to be similar to RT-AX58U V2.

I like the changes. Current Asuswrt GUI is from what... around year 2010? Needs refresh badly.
Agreed. Unfortunately, their current plans is to restrict the new UI to the ExpertWifi devices.

I suspect it might still be a work-in-progress, as most of the pages are the old pages shown within a wrapper. Only the first couple of pages are actually using bootstrap. The code also has hints at a dark mode theme, but currently only the light mode theme seems to be there.

their current plans is to restrict the new UI to the ExpertWifi

Like for the information provided, but don't like the information provided. 😒

1. AP Mode and VLAN: If I decide to go for something else for the routing part, say pfSense. Can I use EBM68 as AP with multiple SSIDs tied to different VLANs?
  2. Lifetime/EOL/EOS: Any info on what Asus promises in terms of support for ExpertWifi products?
Very interested in question #1. Getting wired ExpertWiFi EBG15 this week. EBA63 does what you want, so I imagine the EBM68 and EBR63 will work in AP mode that way as well. I may be purchasing EBR63 to act as AImesh nodes.

3 year warranty should mean 3 years of support. I do remember reading that asus is committed to the "expertwifi" line with new hardware already planned.

It should, but should not be assumed.

Warranty is hardware. Not firmware/features (i.e. software).

In Europe, warranty includes software. If the software is broken, it needs to be fixes by manufacturer up to a certain period after last sales.

As for features, there was an interesting result of a lawsuit this week. ASUS has to buy back mobile phones from customers for which it did not release certain features they were advertised with (unlocking so you can install custom firmware).

That means little. I read that as, that they can take up to 3 years to fix the 'software', and afterward declare it EOL.

Doing something willingly isn't the same result as being forced to do something by some arbitrary law.

Which asus routers have had their core, advertised features break while under warranty and asus refused to fix them? i.e. a firmware update that broke all wifi capability

Closest I see is this and they fixed it to avoid warranty claims and class action lawsuits for fraud:

Expertwifi is for businesses who only care about stability and security updates which is all asus will provide during that 3 years. New features being added should not be assumed at all and if that is what you meant, I agree with you.

If that's the best example you can offer, very weak indeed.

The hardware or the software didn't need to be fixed. Server error wasn't on the routers.

Which asus routers have had their core, advertised features break while under warranty

Asus routers have advertised features that never worked properly to begin with. I really want to see if Dual WAN works properly on this ExpertWiFi, or if the Client List recognizes what's connected to the network, or if IPv6 finally works well without breaking something else. What business will accept Trend Micro data sharing agreement, by the way? A doctors office, lawyers office, business processing payments, business licensed for processing personal data? Have you read what you agree to on consumer products? Basically everything Trend Micro needs now or may need from you in the future, straight to their servers in China. A business router running Data Collection Daemon on background? If this thing is the same in ExpressWiFi - it's a no go for many businesses. For some it may not be even allowed to have.

Basically everything Trend Micro needs now or may need from you in the future, straight to their servers in China.
Source?

Because as far as I can tell, Trend Micro DCD endpoints are on AWS, not on random Chinese servers.

Also, Trend Micro is an American/Japanese company. Neither of these countries would be OK with relying on Chinese servers.

Trend Micro DCD endpoints are on AWS

So it's uploading data to servers basically everywhere, AWS has servers in China as well. I guess Trend Micro China and Hong Kong (still China) offices are completely isolated from Trend Micro's global cybersecurity business and they make do on their own. Trend Micro's CEO Eva Chen happens to be married to Daniel Chiang, co-founder of Sina Corporation, but this is perhaps unrelated. True American/Japanese company indeed. The couple did some other honest business together in the past:

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm that the EBR63 can be run as just a AImesh node?

Looking for a vlan aware AX AP with multiple ports, doesn't lock me into a controller, and some kind of external antennas.

Operating Mode

Wireless Router Mode
AiMesh Node Mode
Access Point Mode
I know it lists node AImesh mode, and should work like this, but none of the marketing shows it working like that.

EBG15 wired + EBR63 node + maybe EBA63

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!