What's new

Thecus N4100PRO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The N4100pro performance/price ratio sounds good.

I imagine that the M3800 performance should be the same, they share the same CPU and ram quantity.

Yes, I did purchase the Thecus 4100Pro from www.buystor.com. I wasn't sure if you allowed us to post any references to sites since some forums forbid that as a form of advertisement. UPS Tracking shows it is in shipment and should arrive on the 29th. I guess what influenced my decision to use them was basically they had it in stock for a cheap price. Took a chance, we will see how it works out.

I ordered four Hitachi Deskstar HDS721010KLA330 1TB drives from newegg.com for $129.99 and there is a $30 mail in rebate. They have already arrived and are just waiting on the Thecus 4100Pro to arrive. Choose newegg.com because all of my friends have used them with good results. Choose the drives because I am cheap. They are not on the approved tested list, but I saw in a forum that someone said that they worked great in the 5200Pro which is very similar to the 4100Pro.

It works out that I should have approx 3TB of storage in Raid5 for a bit more than $800. Not bad at all.

If it all works out, there are about 5 guys at work who will more than likely take the plunge as well. We are all facing the same problem of an explosion of media in the form of photos, music, and now movies with no easy way of storing them in a way where a hard drive failure doesn't kill everything. Used to be able to just burn it on a CD or DVD, but now even Blue Ray isn't big enough.

OS?

Would appreciate if any of the proud new owners of this unit can investigate...

What OS does this unit run? And if Linux, can you telnet into the box w/full root access? Thanks!

What are the major differences between N4100 and N5200PRO BR?

Is there better in the same price for the media to server?

- D-Link DNS-343?
- Promise SmartStor NS4300N?

Thanks!

What OS does this unit run? And if Linux, can you telnet into the box w/full root access? Thanks!

Linux 2.6.23 based kernel. Output from a quick Nmap scan:

PORT STATE SERVICE
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
443/tcp open https
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
548/tcp open afp
631/tcp open ipp
8080/tcp open http-proxy
9666/tcp open unknown
49152/tcp open unknown

Haven't really started to investigate if there's a way into the box yet, but plan on looking at it more thoroughly this weekend.

It's here!!!!!!

Well I just received my Thecus 4100Pro from www.buystor.com and it was in perfect condition using UPS ground. I've already upgraded the Firmware to the latest and just started building the Raid 5 with 4 1Tb drives. It says I will have 2788.9 GB after it is done.

I guess I don't get to play with it for a day or two while it builds..... :eek:

N4100Pro network configuration questions

All,

Just purchased this and am struggling (first time NAS/RAID person) to do the network setup via web interface app.. I simply have a small home network setup. Should I use the LAN or the WAN port? Documentation implies to configure the WAN port. Just want to plug the NAS into my router/switch and be able to let my family access the thing. Not a WAN, on a local home LAN. Do I need to use IP sharing mode if I use the WAN?

Thank you.

- S

The WAN and LAN port nomenclature is confusing and a poor choice on Thecus' part.
Just connect it to your LAN using the WAN port and do not use IP sharing mode.

Specs

Hi,

Can anybody give me specs related to this machine?
not only speed but also noise and power ratings?

At the moment its on my top 3 of nas I want to buy, but I can not find specs any where on the web.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

is it possible to start with 2x1Tb HD as RAID 1 and later add another 2 HD to switch to RAID 5 ?
does it rebuid the RAID 1 -> RAID 5 automatically ? or do I need to create a backup and reformat the array?

is it possible to start with 2x1Tb HD as RAID 1 and later add another 2 HD to switch to RAID 5 ?
The 4100 Pro supports both RAID volume expansion (same RAID mode, but expand to larger drives) and RAID migration (change RAID mode).

Thank you!
one more question

in case of hardware failure (controller, memory etc, but not the Harddrives)

will it be possible to take thr HDs and put them in any other NAS
lets say Dlink 343
or even regular computer with built-in RAID controller and Windows OS ?

in case of hardware failure (controller, memory etc, but not the Harddrives) will it be possible to take thr HDs and put them in any other NAS lets say Dlink 343 or even regular computer with built-in RAID controller and Windows OS ?
Another NAS, unlikely. Filesystem is EXT3, so you should be able to mount the drives in any Linux-based system.

Question about drives

Hi all. New to the forums. I am looking at buying an N4100pro, as it looks like a good deal for me. I'd really like to use:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

But I don't see those drives as being certified for ANY Thecus produces. Does anyone have any info on this subject?

Thanks

Media Player

Hi All,

Very good advice here in the forum, picked up the N4100Pro and I was able to set it up using the Hitachi HD's a poster recommended (1 TB). I have it setup in a RAID 1 config. Now, not being a techie person it has been quite fun getting it up and going. I have copied all my music, movies etc over to the NAS.

Does anyone have any recommendations on software to use in conjunction with the media server module? I'm new in this area and a search in google didn't avail anything.

Thanks to all and my GOD it's a lovely, quiet little beast =)

Matt

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!