What's new

Thecus N5550 - HDD capacity vs count question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hoochee

New Around Here
Specs are for a max 25TB that is always stated as 5 x 5TB. Can I install 4 x 6TB? Or is the board going to see only 5TB of each.

You can also put 2x 14TB but for what purpose? You won't be able to use the other drive bays except for hot spares (if the Thecus allows that) and even that is not the best use of those bays (all drives installed share many common possible 'faults').

What is special about a 4x 6TB configuration for you? Myself, I would get 5x 6TB drives and maximize as much as possible that 25TB 'cap'. I would also know/prepare myself for a new NAS when/if that capacity is close to full too. ;)

What’s special about the 4 x 6TB is that it’s 24TB vs the max capacity of 25TB with no wasted space (so no wasted cash). 6 x 5TB would have 5TB completely unused, and unusable.

I suppose the 30TBs might be a consideration since it gets me to an actual 25TB usable space since in the 4 x 6TB scenario I’d be less than 24 w the drive overhead.

Yes, that drive overhead would be the issue. Depending on the actual drive capacity, with 4x 6TB you will be only at about 21.82TB. With no redundancy.

With 5x 8TB+ drives in a RAID5 or better configuration, you will at least have some redundancy while easily hitting the 25TB 'cap'. If that 'cap' is really there on the latest firmware/NAS os. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!