What's new

Thinking about ax88u to replace my ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ya that's fair. But I don't have a wifi6 laptop, nor would I buy one right away. So the only device I have is the new samsung galaxy s10+.

I'm sure my next laptop and wife's phone will all have wifi 6. Then i'll be more worth it I think.

Depending on what your test will show with a WiFi5 laptop, it doesn't matter if you don't have a WiFi6 capable one. ;)

I disagree that a handhelf device like Samsung S10+ is not good enough to test router performance. After all, it has more computing power than the router itself and even better than a lot of regular grade laptops. Network speed testing is only some data transfer over TCP or UDP, I think S10+ is definietely capable enough.

Only thing I can think of is that the laptop wifi card may provide better signal strength but if we are testing right next to router, I don't think that matters. What else wifi6 laptop can provide for the network testing that a S10+ cannot provide? More streams? But I assume S10+ would have at least 2 streams which is the same for a lot of laptops.

Please enlighten me.

I disagree that a handhelf device like Samsung S10+ is not good enough to test router performance. After all, it has more computing power than the router itself and even better than a lot of regular grade laptops. Network speed testing is only some data transfer over TCP or UDP, I think S10+ is definietely capable enough.

Only thing I can think of is that the laptop wifi card may provide better signal strength but if we are testing right next to router, I don't think that matters. What else wifi6 laptop can provide for the network testing that a S10+ cannot provide? More streams? But I assume S10+ would have at least 2 streams which is the same for a lot of laptops.

Please enlighten me.

Any handheld device will be biased towards power savings than burning through the battery to provide a nice benchmark. ;)

We don't need a WiFi6 laptop to test with today. A WiFi5 laptop (plugged in or in Performance mode, if it is equivalent) is good enough to see if an AX router is equal to or better, right now than an AC router.

Any handheld device will be biased towards power savings than burning through the battery to provide a nice benchmark. ;)

That is not true, network communication is what the handheld device (here the Samsung S10+) is built for, it will not sacrifice wireless performance for battery when the user is demanding network functionalities. What is the point of pushing faster wifi onto the phone while the phone itself would throttle the performance? It will limit performace for power consumption when phone's wifi is not in use, but not when you are using it for the tests.

That is not true, network communication is what the handheld device (here the Samsung S10+) is built for, it will not sacrifice wireless performance for battery when the user is demanding network functionalities. What is the point of pushing faster wifi onto the phone while the phone itself would throttle the performance? It will limit performace for power consumption when phone's wifi is not in use, but not when you are using it for the tests.

Network communication doesn't need to happen at top speed (and it rarely does). It certainly isn't the standard any phone I know of is built to. I stand by what my experience so far has been with using smartphones vs. laptops to see max network speeds possible. ;)

YMMV, of course. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!