What's new

Fiber coming -- time to replace the RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

torchddv

Regular Contributor
It was more than enough when speeds were limited to 3MB down / 1MB up and still ok with current 25/3, but the specs say it won't take full advantage of the 1GB fiber coming soon. So time to upgrade.

I currently have the main network on 2.4 and 5 MHz bands, a guest network on 2.4 and a third 2.4 network to keep IOT devices like cameras and sensors isolated from the data. I have an IPv6 tunnel and a startup script to set that and some custom firewall commands. I have a large property so range to the cameras and sensors is important. Currently one antenna is extended to another room to reach the furthest camera. Reliability is also important. The router is running Merlin 380.7, the last version available for that model. I currently do not have any WiFi6 devices, but a new laptop is in my future and who knows what the grandkids will bring over. I'm not a gamer, but again: grandkids come over. Also, I might be interested in VOIP telephony to replace the current land-line. I have one line, but two numbers -- fax answers the second based on ring pattern.

The Asus has been running reliably for years, so I'm inclined to stick with Asus and Merlin. From what I can determine, the AC86U would meet my current needs and is the cheapest option of the 3 I'm looking at. The AX86U would add WiFi6 for potential future needs, at about $75 more (north of the border), which is not a deal killer as I plan (hope?) to keep this for a while. Oddly, I can get the AX88U for slightly less than the AX86U right now, and from what I can read it might be better for my needs due to the additional 2.4 band capability and extra antenna.

Comments? Suggestions? Opinions? Other options?

I would not consider buying any Asus AC class router today. The firmware for those models has been confirmed to stay on 386.xx, while AX class routers are enjoying 388.xx level firmware today.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

Note that in the link above, a single RT-AX68U was superior (throughput) to 2x RT-AC86Us in AiMesh mode.

The best, long-term, bang for the buck, you can get today is the Asus GT-AX6000. It is the most balanced hardware available today with 2x 2.5GbE ports (WAN and LAN), AX Class, and throughput that is superior to even the RT-AX86U (and matches it for low latency too).

Personal opinion, Get some opinions from Members, look at some reviews and wait 2 weeks for Black Friday! You may get something x10 better and in the same Budget. This is what i am doing, recently upgraded to Fiber myself 1500Mbps/940Mbps and need a new Router. I am looking at the GT-AX6000, just out of my price range right now. Hold off on the buying if you can, it might be worth the wait.

My fiber will be "up to" 1000MB, so the 2 higher speed ports of a router like the GT, optimized for gaming, won't really be worth the extra $150 to $200 to me. but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure how much of a "Black Friday" deal I'm likely to find north of the border. That seems to be more of a US thing, but maybe I'm just out of touch. Any Canadians care to weigh in on waiting for a killer deal?

My fiber will be "up to" 1000MB, so the 2 higher speed ports of a router like the GT, optimized for gaming, won't really be worth the extra $150 to $200 to me. but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not sure how much of a "Black Friday" deal I'm likely to find north of the border. That seems to be more of a US thing, but maybe I'm just out of touch. Any Canadians care to weigh in on waiting for a killer deal?
Yea we don't get killer deals up here, but any savings can help in buying something a tad bit better. Lower end AX models at bestbuy start at about $100, so at that price probably get $20 off. It's up to you if you want to wait or not, i will be waiting only because the AX6000 is $500 right now, 2 weeks ago it was at $429, hoping it goes to $400 or at least back to $429.

@torchddv, if you want a current router to be as long-lived and useful as your 'N66U was, the GT-AX6000 is the best bang for the buck (period). If you want an Asus router along with RMerlin support.

The 2.5GbE Ports are not gaming ports. They're 2.5x the performance of the 1GbE ports from the last 30 years. With the equivalent reduction in latency too.

Your ISP being 1Gbps capable now is not going to stay there for long if it doesn't have to. Higher speeds are coming. At least within the expected lifespan of the GT-AX6000.

Even an extra $200 today is cheaper than whatever the routers will be 'worth' in a few years' time (and you'd have to buy at an expected $500 and up).

Black Friday deals are all over the world, at differing degrees of savings. Take advantage while you can. ;)

Last edited:
@torchddv,
Your ISP being 1Gbps capable now is not going to stay there for long if it doesn't have to. Higher speeds are coming. At least within the expected lifespan of the GT-AX6000.
I like your optimism, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that -- not around here, anyway <lol>. We still don't have DSL out here -- the only wired option is dial-up. The only reason we are getting fiber is a government Covid grant to get high speed service into rural areas and the only reason I (and two others) are getting it is because we're near the start of the road -- they buried the trunk 1/2 way down the road when the grant ran out.

Any Canadians care to weigh in on waiting for a killer deal?

If up to Gigabit is enough for you, AX86S will be a good fit. It's CAD200 now in Canada Computers. The cheaper version of popular AX86U with the same Wi-Fi performance. Avoid AX58U and AX68U. First one is software limited to AX3000 class, second had a long history of connection issues and not very popular here on SNB Forums. It's quite ugly too. I've got one AX86S for a friend of mine for CAD180 about a month ago, BestBuy.

Not that you are looking on this Price range..Asus GT-AX-6000 is on sale at Staples(delivery only) for $380, so that's $120 off this week. So i am sure deals will be popping up for something in your price range, just have to keep checking sales.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!