What's new

Time Parental filter can be bypassed by changing the IP address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlezZ

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

Running 386.3_2 but this problem also happened on previous versions.

If I set time scheduling for a device it is possible to bypass and access the internet by just changing the IP address on the device.
I assumed the filter is being applied by MAC address and not IP!

If this is the case this filter is useless.

Hi All,

Running 386.3_2 but this problem also happened on previous versions.

If I set time scheduling for a device it is possible to bypass and access the internet by just changing the IP address on the device.
I assumed the filter is being applied by MAC address and not IP!

If this is the case this filter is useless.
you can bind ip number and mac addresses and it prevents and then they must be online for you to be able to bind together in the router because you must be able to see ip number and mac to bind them together, you go to the router AiMesh or at the app then you can do it whenever you want when you have the ip and mac addresses, on the app you go to settings or options if it is called in English then you go to Lan and then ip binding

Yes, thanks.
I have already MAC filter enabled and IP reservation but you can still set an IP manually on the device. An IP reservation in the DHCP table does not prevent anyone from setting an IP manually.

Yes, thanks.
I have already MAC filter enabled and IP reservation but you can still set an IP manually on the device. An IP reservation in the DHCP table does not prevent anyone from setting an IP manually.
try to go to wan pch then deactivate UPnP and see if it helps and get extra protection as children may use vpn to bypass, I have opendns as an extra choice in the router because it stops a little more and you have to make some settings on that website once you have installed opendns

Parental controls is an Asus feature and not specific to Merlins fork firmware.
As such you need to contact Asus tech support about your findings to see what they can do.

Parental controls is an Asus feature and not specific to Merlins fork firmware.
As such you need to contact Asus tech support about your findings to see what they can do.
you can enable that in the firewall in the router and
dos protection
enable ap router asus also, I use rt-ax92u to fix it, wants asus to listen to me about my suggestions and I can say that merlin asuswrt has better firmware than what asus has on its update page, my dad has rt-ac86u and it is better firmware and if I knew that rt-ax92u would not get any support on merlin asuswrt website then I would never have gotten me and my sister that router

The support you can get here are for the features enabled or specific to the Merlin fork.
Parental Control is an Asus feature. Not specific to or added by this fork.

parental control in Asus is just there to allow Asus to adversities that it is present. To be honest it is joke and the lowest priority for Asus and most router OEMs.
if any1 need this feature is using Synology routers.

The support you can get here are for the features enabled or specific to the Merlin fork.
Parental Control is an Asus feature. Not specific to or added by this fork.

Just for completion. I will post this here again, just for you SLIDERMIKE!

@slidermike
This is a very useless comment! Sounds like someone from support is trying to get rid of someone who needs help.
This is a forum where people help each other or point someone to the right direction.
Please list all Merlin specific features which are supported in this forum, we can then pin this thread to avoid others asking questions about non Merlin features.
And also to be clear this happens only with the Merlin firmware, are you happy now?!

try to go to wan pch then deactivate UPnP and see if it helps and get extra protection as children may use vpn to bypass, I have opendns as an extra choice in the router because it stops a little more and you have to make some settings on that website once you have installed opendns
Yes, thanks for pointing this out. I have UPNP always disabled.

parental control in Asus is just there to allow Asus to adversities that it is present. To be honest it is joke and the lowest priority for Asus and most router OEMs.
if any1 need this feature is using Synology routers.
I did not know they make Routers too. Will check it out. Thanks!

well try to press feedback at the bottom and then you type in a bit and send in the log when sending in info that is sent to them, well it's not good to hear from you if you ask for it,
yet I have noticed when I have submitted that it changes more on the log than usual,

hope it is fixed otherwise for then block and unblock at nights and days

have a good day

Just for completion. I will post this here again, just for you SLIDERMIKE!

@slidermike
This is a very useless comment! Sounds like someone from support is trying to get rid of someone who needs help.
This is a forum where people help each other or point someone to the right direction.
Please list all Merlin specific features which are supported in this forum, we can then pin this thread to avoid others asking questions about non Merlin features.
And also to be clear this happens only with the Merlin firmware, are you happy now?!

You need to cool down.

The issue is not Merlin specific it happens with ASUS stock firmware too , it is a known problem with smart kids getting around parental blocks.

What slidermike is trying to say is that this is not anything that can be changed by Merlin , the feature is outside his control.

In your router GUI > Administration < you will find a "Feedback" tab , there you can contact ASUS with your issue and maybe get an answer.

Doesn't matter if it's MAC or IP-based, both can be worked around. The only solution is to not provide admin privileges to the children on their devices, to prevent them from spoofing their MAC or setting a static IP.

Doesn't matter if it's MAC or IP-based, both can be worked around. The only solution is to not provide admin privileges to the children on their devices, to prevent them from spoofing their MAC or setting a static IP.
should have done it from the beginning when the children were smaller, well I have experienced that parental control is not working as my sister's son has found a bypass again and I think it is not possible to stop him as he is stubborn, I have heard from me to Asus and told them and that he bypasses the system

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!