What's new

To ad block or not to ad block

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How did you come up with that list? I see alot of bitcoin affiliates, the rest is unknown.
There is a lot of grinding in that whitelist. Alot of spent time surfing using online services (e.g banking services, shopping services, device connection considerations). Afterall, I service over 150 to 160 devices on my network.

There is a lot of grinding in that whitelist. Alot of spent time surfing using online services (e.g banking services, shopping services, device connection considerations). Afterall, I service over 150 to 160 devices on my network.
Holy fracking crap? Are you a kleptomaniac with a hoarding fetich? How on earth did you come by all these devices in the first place? ..And what are you using them for? 🤣

Besides, how exactly are you educating your family members by exposing them to ads?

I used to work around network security field. The same way I used to educate other people and my employees now. Limiting your home network is like closing a window and installing blinds next to two open windows. Devices now get Internet from more than one networks and many use own DNS services. You think you do good, but in fact you are losing the game fast. All your efforts are gone with one click on disable Wi-Fi. I want my family members to discover things by themselves and ask me questions when I'm still here to answer. It all starts with building trust by talking to kids like adults. I prefer to provide the answers and not some random classmate. As @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow mentioned above - limitation with no explanation only increases curiosity. The results I have achieved so far is event-free home network for years, smart online and in person shopping, two kids in first 10 in school and university. No adblocker or parental controls since the age of 12. Yes, I've spend hours showing them what's good and bad online - on every network, not at home only.

If someone ask's me to unblock something i will do it.

Did someone ever asked you to block something? :)

I used to work around network security field. The same way I used to educate other people and my employees now. Limiting your home network is like closing a window and installing blinds next to two open windows. Devices now get Internet from more than one networks and many use own DNS services. You think you do good, but in fact you are losing the game fast. All your efforts are gone with one click on disable Wi-Fi. I want my family members to discover things by themselves and ask me questions when I'm still here to answer. It all starts with building trust by talking to kids like adults. I prefer to provide the answers and not some random classmate. As @SomeWhereOverTheRainBow mentioned above - limitation with no explanation only increases curiosity. The results I have achieved so far is event-free home network for years, smart online and in person shopping, two kids in first 10 in school and university. No adblocker or parental controls since the age of 12. Yes, I've spend hours showing them what's good and bad online - on every network, not at home only.

Did someone ever asked you to block something? :)

You probably know more about computers than i do, no doubt about that. And i have respect for that.
But you draw conclusions about things that are simply not true. I explain things to people as far as i can explain things, all the time. Nevertheless i see blocking of ads as a mandatory thing.
If you want services unblocked, then argue for it. Pros and cons, i want to hear it all.

Ads. This is why I don't watch TV. I can feel my brain melting.

I have much better things to do than process the constant ads we're subjected to. And no, it doesn't make you stronger to be subjected to them. It makes you more robot-like. Which is why they're used.

Laws about limiting ads would be highly beneficial to society. And would allow companies to focus on providing details about their products/services, instead of selling BS to move their products.

Ads. This is why I don't watch TV. I can feel my brain melting.

I have much better things to do than process the constant ads we're subjected to. And no, it doesn't make you stronger to be subjected to them. It makes you more robot-like. Which is why they're used.

Laws about limiting ads would be highly beneficial to society. And would allow companies to focus on providing details about their products/services, instead of selling BS to move their products.
Yes i so totaly agree with you, you have no idea!
I also skip TV for 99% of the time, i never watch TV with comercial ads anymore. I only watch public service from time to time and mostly the documentarys or the educational ones. The news can happen once in a while aswell. It's the same story anyways.

And the bottom line of all this that we have in this world, comes from a man made idea that we call the economical system. It's not existing in nature, it's not a natural law, it's not growing on trees (something that i heard from time to time as a kid).

People, and the world, are focusing on the absolute wrong thing and i truly put all my hope into this game changer that we call AI. I hope it changes the landscape within this century. God forbid if it didn't.

Nevertheless i see blocking of ads as a mandatory thing.

You don't block ads only with the discussed lists. You block other things creating inconveniences for your network users. As always - it's your decision what you are going to do to your network and your users. They can either start complaining or ignore you completely by turning Wi-Fi off. It depends on your past decisions and responses. I would ask them what they prefer and show them how to do it on every network. Your preferred adblocking solution AdGuard is available on clients running Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. If installed on the client they will work on every Internet connection and not your home network only. You can still use the router version for your TVs. Isn't it better "care and protection" than your one network limited solution?

You don't block ads only with the discussed lists. You block other things creating inconveniences for your network users. As always - it's your decision what you are going to do to your network and your users. They can either start complaining or ignore you completely by turning Wi-Fi off. It depends on your past decisions and responses. I would ask them what they prefer and show them how to do it on every network. Your preferred adblocking solution AdGuard is available on clients running Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. If installed on the client they will work on every Internet connection and not your home network only. You can still use the router version for your TVs. Isn't it better "care and protection" than your one network limited solution?
Except ads, what else am i blocking that i'm missing?
And give one good example of where ads is a good thing? What do i, or anyone else (except the companies) gain from seeing ads?

Except ads, what else am i blocking that i'm missing?

You don't know what's included in your lists?

The default AdGuard blocklist that is pre chosen.
1host light
OISD big list
Hagezi black and white
Language blocklist, in my case i used Swedish blocklist.

You didn't give me an answer how is your limited to one network enforced solution better compared to the same used on client devices for all networks plus user choice what they want to see. You don't protect your loved ones better this way. The moment they leave home your solution stops working. Your entire efforts are out with one click and client devices are "exposed" everywhere outside of your network. This discussion is about what's better, no?

You don't know what's included in your lists?

You didn't give me an answer how is your limited to one network enforced solution better compared to the same solution used on the client devices for all networks plus user choice what they want to see. You don't protect your loved ones better this way. The moment they leave home your solution stops working. Your entire efforts are out with one click and client devices are "exposed" everywhere outside of your network. This discussion is about what's better, no?

The list contains over 600,000 domains. I have no idea whats being blocked (except for the services that i manually blocked). Do you?
If your kids leaves your home without your parenting, then thats a minus in your effort in raising your kids.

I have no idea whats being blocked (except for the services that i manually blocked). Do you?

You better get an idea what they block before applying it. It's far from ads only. Copy/paste someone else's setup is never a good idea.

If your kids leaves your home without your parenting

Are you parenting your wife too? She's one of the users of your home network. As I said - it's your choice. The thread is about adblock recommendations and I provide mine with wider effect and better results than traditional DNS-blockers proven more and more ineffective. You insist on your solution and that's fine for me. Hopefully it's fine for your family members too. The fact they ask you to unblock something from time to time is a good indication you are very close to the annoyance level threshold. At some point you may have to reconsider your decisions. As mentioned above - experience.

You better get an idea what they block before applying it. It's far from ads only. Copy/paste someone else's setup is never a good idea.

Are you parenting your wife too? She's one of the users of your home network. As I said - it's your choice. The thread is about adblock recommendations and I provide mine with wider effect and better results than traditional DNS-blockers proven more and more ineffective. You insist on your solution and that's fine for me. Hopefully it's fine for your family members too. The fact they ask you to unblock something from time to time is a good indication you are very close to the annoyance level threshold. At some point you may have to reconsider your decisions. As mentioned above - experience.

I didn't say that someone asked me to unblock anything. i said that in general purpose.
Besides, with 600,000 blocked domains, who can keep track of whats being blocked? I find your argument vague and i doubt that you know exactly everything that you block. And if you do, then you don't block much. And a counter-question to that is, do you even know what you don't block? Or are you just an open case that everyone in this world can score on?

Do you have the same perseption on firewalls? Allow all except the known threats that you know about? Or do you go in the opposite direction, block all and allow what you only know are good? It's a philosophical question.

You can remove 1Host and NextDNS blocklists. HaGeZi includes those, and also includes OISD.

I use HaGeZi - Multi PRO++ without problems. You can add to your NextDNS Allowlist if you have a problem too.

Also, enable Google Safe Browsing under the Security tab in NextDNS. Then under the Denylist tab add
*.safebrowsing.googleapis.com *.sb.l.google.com
This will allow the use on NextDNS and block it on your devices.
Okey, thank you! 😁

By the way, it's easy to go around your current setup. Some of your clients may be doing it automatically to own DNS services. You have to do DNS traffic interception and redirection, block DoT on port 853 and known DoH servers and services like iCloud Private Relay. You may want to restrict proxies and VPNs in order to prevent total avoidance of your measures. Otherwise the blocked % requests may not be telling you the true story. Just saying.
Yeah but i'm not running fort knox either. If you want to sneak out in the night, then do it. Atleast let me know about it and your whereabouts so i can come and get you later.

And a counter-question to that is, do you even know what you don't block?

Yes. I know what impacts the user experience and I don't want to block.

Or are you just an open case that everyone in this world can score on?

No. I know exactly what I'm doing and I use better equipment than your home router.

600,000 blocked domains
1686409515430.png

600K is a bit low.

This is what DNS filtering with limited DNS traffic control looks like:

1686451354004.png

Something to consider when using DNS-based blockers with increasing number of clients with hardcoded DNS and DoT, DoH and even DoQ options.

just start using brave if you got issues with ads. you can install ublock on top. I am getting only this many ads on mobile network using brave

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230822-121855423.jpg
    Screenshot_20230822-121855423.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 25
AD Block can just block some annoying AD. DNS filtering does nothing for us actually. DNS filtering is useless.

AD Block can just block some annoying AD. DNS filtering does nothing for us actually. DNS filtering is useless.
Be that as it may, DNS filtering is keeping my home network happily ad free (with the exception of YouTube of course).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!