What's new

To AiMesh or not -- technical understanding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

purpleman

New Around Here
Hi everyone.

In spite of searching endlessly, I could not get a definite answer so I'm hoping that posting here will finally make it clear.
I am moving to a new house, it has a basement floor, main floor and second floor, each of the three is roughly 1700 sqft. I am thinking of placing 3 RT-AX86Us -- one in each floor, with a wired backhaul to get full house coverage with great speeds.

Option #1: I set all units as an AiMesh and disable band steering (I don't care for it). I then get a single SSID per band across all units, but each band will operate on the same channel across all units. I imagine this will cause some level of interference as each two adjacent floors would probably overlap.

Option #2: I set one unit as a main router, and the other two in AP mode (non-AiMesh). I manually set all three to use the same SSIDs and passwords, but pick different channels (or at the very minimum make sure that the main floor is using a different channel than the top floor and the basement). I can potentially also enable roaming assist on all three to disconnect weak connections, to maybe assist with "seamless transitions".

It's unclear to me which of the two is a better choice, mainly because I don't understand if "AiMesh" does anything more than just unify the administration of the units to simplify it or there's actually some technical advantage it provides. For instance, do the units share any useful operational information between them that make roaming more intelligent? Am I actually gaining anything other than a simpler initial setup by using AiMesh? Because if not it would make sense that Option 2 would be better. And if I do gain something by using it as an AiMesh, is it worth doing at the expense of the same-channel overlap between floors?

Appreciate any insight and any technical depth you guys can provide.

Cheers!

Why not just get a wired router w/o WIFI and plug 3 AP's into it and call it a day?

All this mesh to not mesh is just marketing. It sounds like you have an idea of what needs to be done already.

Dual Band SmartConnect and AiMesh the nodes. Router on the 1st floor and nodes in the basement and 2nd floor. You could save a buck or two and use AX86S for the nodes.

Why not just get a wired router w/o WIFI and plug 3 AP's into it and call it a day?

All this mesh to not mesh is just marketing. It sounds like you have an idea of what needs to be done already.

If I have 3 APs and a wired router (as you suggest), for the purpose of my question that would be the same as what I described as option #2.
I only went with these specific three units because of their great wireless performance (even when I use two of them as APs), and because I also plan on having some devices plugged in to each AP as a wired connection.

Dual Band SmartConnect and AiMesh the nodes. Router on the 1st floor and nodes in the basement and 2nd floor. You could save a buck or two and use AX86S for the nodes.
SmartConnect generally performs poorly, so I rather avoid it and I don't mind having two separate SSIDs for each band. That's not the important part though.
You say "AiMesh the nodes" suggesting that Option #1 is better than Option #2, and I would like to know the reasoning for that.

You can in most cases plug in a switch to each AP to extend wired connections through the AP. My AP is hooked up on a 2.5GE port and has a 2nd for 1GE additional device to be hooked up.

You can in most cases plug in a switch to each AP to extend wired connections through the AP. My AP is hooked up on a 2.5GE port and has a 2nd for 1GE additional device to be hooked up.
Yeah, but then the cost saving is limited because I need to get switches. Either way, that's off topic from what I'm asking :)