What's new

Today's delightful new problem (10gbit/s connection incoming)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@coxhaus @Manny

EdgeSwitch 8 is a 1Gb switch, not relevant to the thread...

to add on, if you want to experiment using 1Gb/s clients, both mikrotik and ubiquiti have fully managed 16 port 10Gb/s switches for prices that even dlink cant match with their dumb 10Gbe switches which you can then connect to one of their switches too that has 2 10Gb ports and 20 1Gb ports.

@coxhaus @Manny

EdgeSwitch 8 is a 1Gb switch, not relevant to the thread...

If he gets a layer 3 switch working I would like to see the config regardless of speed. There are so few people running a layer 3 switch.

I have a 10 gig Cisco SG500X-24 layer 3 switch I can put into service but my internet speed is too slow.

Last edited:
I have a 10 gig Cisco SG500X-24 layer 3 switch I can put into service but my internet speed is too slow.

Nice switch - one of our platforms in a previous job/company had these as top of rack - 10G uplink, and going down with 1G to 1U Sun T2500's, 20 per rack, along with a transcoder box and NetApp filers (old Telco Comverse MMSC)

Nice switch - one of our platforms in a previous job/company had these as top of rack - 10G uplink, and going down with 1G to 1U Sun T2500's, 20 per rack, along with a transcoder box and NetApp filers (old Telco Comverse MMSC)

Yes they do 128Gpbs for cheap money now on ebay. Big back plane for a small switch.

Yes they do 128Gpbs for cheap money now on ebay. Big back plane for a small switch.

The switch is end-of-life (not end of support yet), which is why they're being pulled from data centers...

The switch is end-of-life (not end of support yet), which is why they're being pulled from data centers...

Yes some of the models are being phased out but this particular model is not yet end-of life. I think the models being phased out are the 5gig and the POE models which are the SG500 models. The SG500X model is 10 gig.

Alright, was updated by the ISP on Tuesday that they did not yet know when 10gbps media converters would be delivered, as they did not have enough in inventory to send out to all the customers that put orders in. So, Thursday came and my fiber connection was switched over to their switches at the upstream connection point, but at 1gbps until all equipment was available.

Just received a shipment notification indicating that a package from them will be arriving on Monday, and it does seem like it would be the new media converter. So, things are moving forward!

Alright, was updated by the ISP on Tuesday that they did not yet know when 10gbps media converters would be delivered, as they did not have enough in inventory to send out to all the customers that put orders in. So, Thursday came and my fiber connection was switched over to their switches at the upstream connection point, but at 1gbps until all equipment was available.

Just received a shipment notification indicating that a package from them will be arriving on Monday, and it does seem like it would be the new media converter. So, things are moving forward!
Damnit, wasn't the media converter.
I guess they thought I needed a new consumer level router (Tilgin 2511), as the switch to 10G probably flagged me as a new customer again.

Alright, I'll add it to my ever growing collection of ISP routers and go back to waiting for a new media converter. :D

Very interested in what's happened in the last month. Any progress?
Sorry for not updating. Sadly, that's a no on the progress however.

No media converter yet, or other type of CPE, shipped, and no ETA (other than the previous within 90 days) announced for such a device either.
I have in another forum run into one more guy that has decided to go with the offer. The status for him is also the same, awaiting media converter.

At the same time consumer equipment has seemingly been getting closer a lot quicker than I anticipated. I did send over the Qualcomm/NEC/KDDI announcement to the ISP via Twitter, asking if we're waiting for something similar, and got a slightly vague reply back that I interpreted as the time to reveal all info was not here quite yet.

Latest update was today; My ISP flags that the "normal" deadline for delivery, 90 days which would put the date at end of May, will possibly not be met as the delivery of customer equipment to them is taking longer than they anticipated. No new estimate provided, just a promise to update me as soon as they get any newer/better information.

In the planning/thought process of mine I also noticed that Ubiquity has managed to get the USG-XG-8 out to retailers in my region (Sweden), which incidentally ends up at the highest end of my mentioned budget per piece of equipment. Still hoping for some more numbers on what that device is capable of, as most users discussing it in their community seems to be excited about it doing IPS/IDS at full 1gbit/s line speed. If it's even nearly capable of providing the throughput for a 10gbit/s connection is what I'm hoping to see some numbers on soon.

Thank you for the update. Interesting to see how this comes along. I think the price on the equipment you're looking at will also drop, so hopefully that will also work out better as time goes by.

I fired up my Cisco SG500x-24 10gig switch and it makes my closet hot. It sure generates more heat than my Cisco SG300-28 1 gig switch. I wonder if this is true with all 10gig switches.

It is. 10gb requires a lot more power. That's why there aren't any 10gb portable dongles that aren't the size of a small hard drive.

I had an discussion with another customer that managed to draw some information out of the customer support on my ISP, and apparently during the initial loadout they did ship their stock of Planet XT-705A devices they had available: https://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/xt-705a

It's still unclear if they stopped after initial shipments due to it being hard to get a hold of more of that media converter, or if they simply decided to reevaluate their choice of CPE after the first group of customers had the chance to test it out.

It was also mentioned users can also request a SFP+ module directly, in case we want to solve the rest of the chain ourselves.

I had an discussion with another customer that managed to draw some information out of the customer support on my ISP, and apparently during the initial loadout they did ship their stock of Planet XT-705A devices they had available: https://www.planet.com.tw/en/product/xt-705a

It's still unclear if they stopped after initial shipments due to it being hard to get a hold of more of that media converter, or if they simply decided to reevaluate their choice of CPE after the first group of customers had the chance to test it out.

It was also mentioned users can also request a SFP+ module directly, in case we want to solve the rest of the chain ourselves.
if it's just a mediaconverter, why not use spf+ ?
better available and cheaper

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

if it's just a mediaconverter, why not use spf+ ?
better available and cheaper

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected
That's likely the way it'll go down.

Hope is still that the ISP may deliver CPE that maybe even manages the NAT/Routing part, but in case they don't the SFP+ module is probably the only part I will be using, as any router I've encountered for anything close to that throughput comes equipped with SFP+ slots.

Right now the specs of the SFP+ module is not fully known however, as no other customer I've discussed the 10gbit/s connection with has gotten a hold of any but only heard "rumors" (if you can call the customer service representative's word that) about the ISP sending them out upon request.

ISP has through twitter loosely confirmed the theory I had, that they are doing a evaluation for alternative CPE before continuing their rollout (in Swedish, so may not say too much to anyone but the swedes: https://twitter.com/BahnhofAB/status/1013038632993779713 ).

Not any detailed information on what equipment they're evaluating, but at least it goes under the term of router when they mention it (they're generally quite good with their use of terminology so I'm pretty sure we can trust them on that).