What's new

Solved Torrenting crashes the internet connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poncik

Occasional Visitor
Hi everybody,

I have been downloading stuff with torrents since forever. I have 300/50 Mb/s internet connection and I was able to utilize almost the full bandwidth until the recent (386.3) update. I used to use pretty high (500) concurrent connections and that wasn't a problem before. Now I need to keep it to 100 or less otherwise all the clients loose the internet connection completely and I have to stop the torrents to get the internet back. It is the same from wired or wifi connection using different torrent clients. I can still download with low number of connections but I can't fully utilize my bandwidth. I updated to 386.3_2 and it is still the same.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Why would this appear with the recent firmware releases?

P.S. I have an AC86U

I’m using AX56U with fw 386.3_2 and I have same problem with you. My problem happens on wifi about 300 concurrent connections torrent, other clients can’t access the internet. But when I plug cable direct to AX56U and torrenting, everything work fine. I think the problem is the wifi can’t handle many concurrent connections

Wired or wireless doesn't matter in my case, so I don't think it is a wifi issue. I have torrent box with wired connection and I had to lower the number of connections down to 100 on that also.

Have you monitored your CPU and memory utilization and system logs during the problem scenario?

Interesting, i also see this behaviour.
At first i thought it was a problem of the many encrypted streams (i use a VPN to download torrents), do you also use VPN for the torrents?
Does it also happen without VPN if you have a VPN provider too.

Wired or wireless doesn't matter in my case, so I don't think it is a wifi issue. I have torrent box with wired connection and I had to lower the number of connections down to 100 on that also.
What torrent client do you use?

I checked the CPU, memory and temps but there weren't any spikes while I was downloading, this was the first thing I suspected. System logs also don't show anything.

I tried with qBittorrent, rTorrent and Flud (android), same with all of them. I also disabled the AI Protection but that also didn't help.

I couldn't try VPN as I don't have any high speed/paid subscription.

I had some issues with Transmission crashing, but I found a workaround online where I added this option arm_64bit=1 into my Raspberry Pi /boot/config.txt

I don't think it is related to the torrent clients. This problem started about a month ago. Initially I thought my ISP started blocking the torrent connections, but my friend and other people using the same ISP don't have such an issue. So I tried downloading on my Windows and Linux machines as well as my Android phone, all had the same problem and decreasing the number of connections helped.

I think the problem is my modem. I connected directly to my modem with cable and tried downloading, same problem happened. I had to lower down the number of connections below 100 to have a stable connection. I should have tried this before but I didn't think it could be the modem because I didn't change any of its settings.

Look at your torrents client settings, connection protocol. If it's set to μTP, change it to TCP. Try again.

Thanks @Tech9, setting it to TCP improved the download speeds. Although I still can't increase the number of connections too much, I can download using the full bandwidth.

switch off uTP, had the same issue and only use TCP with QBittorrent.

Still sad that the top end router like AX86U cannot handle uTP !

any Asus router is not for torrents downloads ( u need to limit speed, no of seeds etc) - I am using for it mini PC with Xenon processor.

any Asus router is not for torrents downloads ( u need to limit speed, no of seeds etc) - I am using for it mini PC with Xenon processor.
Wat?

I can run torrents no problem off default settings. Jell I even crank the number of connections to 150-200 with 10 downloads at once with no issue.

I am rather more curious about the package than the mode of transportation of the package.

I am rather more curious about the package than the mode of transportation of the package.
For me its a American Sport but i live in Europe.
The specific sport is always between 01:00AM and 07:00AM my time.
As im asleep at that time i download it and watch the event back during my own daytime.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!