What's new

Townhouse wifi coverage advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

One question about channels though...

Channels 1-6-11 on 2.4GHz are recommended, but not mandatory. In my area I see 30+ 2.4GHz networks on channels 1-11, no much of a choice, so the best throughput channels for me are 4 and 8 (up to 50-60Mbps). Lots of noise/interference, not usable for high speed ISP connections, therefore I don't use any 2.4GHz devices. My entire WiFi network is 5GHz. In regards of 5GHz channels, I get identical signal levels on lower and higher channels, but better throughput on lower channels. Experiment and see what works best in your place.

Channels 1-6-11 on 2.4GHz are recommended, but not mandatory. In my area I see 30+ 2.4GHz networks on channels 1-11, no much of a choice, so the best throughput channels for me are 4 and 8 (up to 50-60Mbps). Lots of noise/interference, not usable for high speed ISP connections, therefore I don't use any 2.4GHz devices. My entire WiFi network is 5GHz. In regards of 5GHz channels, I get identical signal levels on lower and higher channels, but better throughput on lower channels. Experiment and see what works best in your place.

Thank you. Hopefully I'll have time this evening.

OK, try this:

In Administration - Privacy
- Withdraw (to stop all TrendMicro services, in case something affects the performance)

In Wireless -> General:
- Smart Connect - Disabled, use separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands (for best performance)
- 2.4GHz channel - Wireless Mode Auto, 20MHz wide, channel number whatever works best in your place
- 5GHz channel - Wireless Mode Auto, 80MHz wide, lower channels 36-40-44-48, control channel 36
- Protected Management Frames - Disabled

In Wireless - > Professional:
- Roaming Assistant - Disabled (both bands, to prevent clients disconnection)
- TX Bursting - Disabled (both bands, valid for G clients, 2.4GHz only anyway)
- Airtime Fairness - Disabled (both bands, incompatible with some clients)
- Modulation Scheme - MCS7 802.11n for 2.4GHz (standard N specs)
- Modulation Scheme - MCS9 802.11ac for 5Ghz (standard AC specs)
- MU-MIMO - Disabled (both bands, for best compatibility, minimal to no performance gains to keep it Enabled)
- Beamforming - Disabled (both bands, both types, for best compatibility, minimal to no performance gains to keep it Enabled)

I agree with all of the above to trouble shoot the issue. After your are done trouble shooting I would enable 5 GHz 802.11ac Beamforming. That is a standard unlike the 2.4 GHz beamforming stuff.

It also doesn't hurt to try the upper 5GHz bands. Some clients prefer those. Try lower and upper and see which works better with your clients.

I would enable 5 GHz 802.11ac Beamforming.

Beamforming is a requirement for MU-MIMO, but clients have to support both in order to get some minimal advantages, eventually. Both technologies in consumer products are used exclusively for marketing purposes. Nice colorful diagrams on packaging show how a router talks in the same time to multiple clients, pointing the signal straight to each one. Right... nothing even close.

Update: So far after making the changes recommended by @Val D., I don't seem to have the issues anymore. Internet seems snappy even in my bedroom. Fingers crossed it continues like that. Thanks for your help everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!