What's new

tp link omada or similar, questions on pieces needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Better stick to home routers. This thread is not for you.
:) i might end up with this option, as Home routers from Asus are available next day.

...u showed me options, but seems like availability is the main issue currently, u cant build network with devices u cant buy.

Wireguard is replacing OpenVPN so TP-Link is asleep seems like, buying HW with poor SW and promised functions in Future is not the right way, already learn that with D-Link back then

Last option is maybe that MiniPC + some Router OS

Wireguard is replacing OpenVPN so TP-Link is asleep seems like, buying HW with poor SW and promised functions in Future is not the right way, already learn that with D-Link back then

OMG... stick to home routers, please. End of story. Sorry to bother you. :rolleyes:

Doesn't work for you doesn't mean you have to make comments on things you know very little about. If you already know everything there is no point in asking questions. WireGuard is not replacing OpenVPN, by the way. The guy who offered MikroTik equipment to you - just tell him you want an Asus router. It's going to be better for both of you. Good luck.

Last edited:
buying HW with poor SW and promised functions

See here, latest available Asuswrt for the popular AX86U router:

Every single time - one thing fixed, other broken. This is about 1h playing with it. I'm not even mentioning in the release thread the discrepancies between Client List, Wireless Log and DHCP leases - they all have their own opinion about what devices are connected. It's been like this forever. You want Dual WAN? Look below - interesting what is this script fixing?

You think you can use WAN Aggregation or Link Aggregation - get an Asus router and switch/modem with 802.3ad support and test. You think the USB port is good for HDD backups? Get an Asus router with 512MB RAM and I'll tell you how to crash it with file transfers without touching it. There is more...

This is what you're getting form a home router. Your description above is very accurate.

The minimums:

- ER605 V2.6 Router, Gigabit + multi-WAN, $60
- TL-SG108PE Switch, Easy Smart + 4-port PoE, $62
- EAP610 V2 AP, AX1800-class compact size, $100
- Software Controller, but OC200 optional, $100
Well, few items in the car. Access points, a 650 and a 670, er605 router... Got the easy switch and the Jetstream one to try..both 8port with poe Microcenter didn't have the controller, so I'll try it on my synology..

Do the switches make any difference?? Current setup is from Asus, desktop wired, wired to dumb 8 port gig switch, alarm module, and fish tank controler.. (last 2 are 100)

Does a smart or easy gain me anything? Should I upgrade the dumb gig switch I'm using?

After my ax86s locked up again this morning, if I'm setting something up again, it should be new stuff... I'll return it to best buy..

Wish me luck . Sort of a simple setup... Iot, plugs and sense monitor, then my washer solo... Used 3 guest networks for this currently

Do the switches make any difference??

JetStream is Omada SDN integrated switch and you have all controls in one place. More expensive though. Smart switch understands VLAN and gives you more options, but what is better costs more. Better router is SafeStream ER7206, but it also costs more. EAP670 is AX5400-class monster AP with 2.5GbE port. Not sure you need this one. Better get more APs with compact size and spread them around for extra coverage and better roaming.

You have realized already you can go overboard with the cost really fast. :)

Should I upgrade the dumb gig switch I'm using?

Reuse everything you already have and fits your needs. If you need few APs only - I believe they come with PoE injectors. Not as nice as PoE switch, but saves money. You can improve and expand the system with "proper" components later, if you want. No need to dump big money from the start.

The 670 is big, that's for sure.. lol thought I would try it where the asus is, or in that room. (Out of site)
Was going to compare one, or one of each.. the 650 might be a better choice ?? Will need to do some wiring, jack swaps. Can be done, they all home run in the mechanical room. Have done a couple already in the past.
Jetstream is close to $30 more than the easy smart, so not a big deal, also gave me a chance to try the smart vs a dumb switch.. some combination of this should get me somewhere. And I have 30 days to return what's not working out for us. I'm open to things, and the wife is too, she is itching to get the asus out of the house.. lol

Thanks so much again for your time.
I did follow your shopping list, just changed up the ap and grabbed an extra switch to try. Super new to cool stuff, been using an asus for like 10 plus years.

(Pricing is very flexible, just not sure I'll make good use of more options... heck wife talked me into a jura z10 espresso machine last week , this feels like peanuts, under 600 or $800 for our simple setup or so.)

Last edited:
Just small update about my progress:

1. wanted to get Ubiquiti , first i thought good FW (then i read few boards, lack of updates, some old issues not being fixed...etc) , nice UI with some functions coming up slowly, higher price tag....after discussion with local sales manager we came to a point where the "UniFi" Dream series are not really able to replace Asus with his functionality and also due to Chips shortage they have issue to supply various devices. For what i want i would need Dream MAchine Pro (400e) which is "rack" version of router where the 2nd half is empty space, has some HDD rack for NVR, so i thought good i can add cameras for that price, but Nooo it doesnt support any ONVIF cameras, no PoE ports, would need to get Dream Machine SE +100e (still no ONVIF)

So just for price or Dream router i would build whole setup router+switch+APs from Mikrotik

2. Mikrotik - more difficult UI on first look, no AX APs currently, but much cheaper vs Ubiquiti, better functionality, more options / complexity. But again the NEW routers are difficult to get, at least they have some estimation of delivery in 1-2 months.
So i might end up with getting some 2nd hand router from them older series 20-40e cost, then get new AP and built my network, when the new routers are finally available i just take config and upgrade it to the new one.

Then to have good overview of devices and what they do ill probably build on Docker "Pi-hole" to have more advanced overview vs Asus was giving me now.

Chips unavailability seems to be still issue for producers of newer HW, this makes problems to buy anything

Always seeing the trees instead of the forest...

Where is the progress? :)
I have progress :), switched over yesterday. before that I had it operational, to play with and configure.
controller software running in docker on my synology, ER605 router v2 (still debating the 7206) , switches I am keeping the TL-SG2008P, and probably picking up a TL-SG2008. (have the TL-SG108PE on hand, I'm sure that would have been great too) For access points, I have the eap670 in the same place as the asus routers always sat, I'll do a heatmap today, and see how it goes, signals look good, have a eap650 on hand as well. might mesh it to see how it effects signals before converting jacks for wired backhaul. for the heck of it, I can swap the 670 for the 650 in the same location, to see what that does.
it has been interesting so far, moving network storage to my nas, consolidating links for media players.
out of 44 or so items, had to change to wpa2-psk aes to get my printer back online, vs WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE aes. the other, I put my coffee maker on a vlan, so it has a different subnet ip, can't get the application to go from 192.168.2 to 192.168.40. I can ping it, just wont see it. if i connect to the 40 network, no issue. this is me taking small steps trying to learn what I have, how it works, and what it can do. I have been spoiled by merlin, and asus for years and years, back to a n66. this definitely is all new to me.

thanks much again all for the advise and help, it is greatly appreciated.

:) i might end up with this option, as Home routers from Asus are available next day.

...u showed me options, but seems like availability is the main issue currently, u cant build network with devices u cant buy.

Last option is maybe that MiniPC + some Router OS

tp link added Wireguard in the latest controller software for windows version, should be added to the other controller options in the future. saw this yesterday

planning is progress :)

Last edited:
Progress was that i picked Company and then i was searching what is available to buy NOW.

Luckily found "latest" model from Mikrotik https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ax3 - will be delivered today
Other LAN routers only like this one https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in - widely not available waiting times months+
Additionally ordered this AP https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_xl_ac - unfortunately only AC as AX is not present by Mikrotik on AC stations yet...

Strange how those companies are "behind" standarts , AX is on market over 3 years. Mikrotik is just starting with that...

---

@JS_racer thanks for update, but this is what i don't like...waiting for some "basic" features to be implemented, same case with Ubiquiti overpriced HW with poor FW and lack of updates (this is what i've learn during my search/learn curve)
Asus is maybe consumer/end user oriented , but it has all the features which you might need, with others i need to get 2 devices and still missing features.

Will see how it all goes with Mikrotik ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!