What's new

TP-Link Omada router buying advice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cloudbuster

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Thinking on going full with a TP-Link Omada setup.

Should I get the ER7206 or ER605?
I would also get the OC200 controller, for switch thinking on the SG2008P with the EAP245 V3 access points.

In total I would need two switches and two Access points.
The second location of course would be hardwired and a possible 3rd location with only one AP 245 in mesh mode via WiFi as I dont have ethernet cable on this location.

Thanks.

I had one TL-R605 router for testing. I don't know how different ER605 is, both look the same and have the same specifications. The router is a brand new model and I wasn't impressed by the initial firmware release and the split settings between UI and the controller. I also noticed there is a new hardware revision V1.60 of the same router so I decided to postpone the tests and send V1.00 back.

I would also get the OC200 controller, for switch thinking on the SG2008P with the EAP245 V3 access points.

This is all good. I purchased one EAP245V3 and it's a good AP. Why not pfSense/OPNSense router for more power and control?

Hi,

I guess the reason I’m not looking at those other router software is to keep everything in a single App to make updates changes less of a chore.
And looking for a full TP-Link setup because I did a Access Point test comparing the Ubiquiti NanoHD to the EAP245

Power cycle to have them back online
EAP 245 - 39.7 seconds
nanoHD - 1:45

Watts idle
245 - 4.1
nanoHD - 5.2

Watts 4 SpeedTest running at same time
245 - 5.6
nanoHD - 7.2

SpeedTest on 5Ghz - 245 nanoHD
Driveway 98 79
2 floor 87.8 82.6
Family 115 109
Bathroom 101 82.8

So the 245 have better signal, uses less watts, power cycle faster and cost less.

the only big down for the 245 is the look and feel cheap compared to the nanoHD.

I guess I would go ahead and try the Omada router I would order the 7206 and hopefully I get the new version.

I had one TL-R605 router for testing. I don't know how different ER605 is, both look the same and have the same specifications. The router is a brand new model and I wasn't impressed by the initial firmware release and the split settings between UI and the controller. I also noticed there is a new hardware revision V1.60 of the same router so I decided to postpone the tests and send V1.00 back.

How is the LAN-WAN speed on the TL-R605?
Does it have sufficent Hardware Offload to handle symmetric 1 gigabit internet connection?
I work from home, and frequently have to transfer large files (500 gb - 1 tb) to customers (ftp, box, dropbox), so it's not unusual for me to saturate my 1Gbps FIOS bandwidth.
So I really do need the 1 gbps FTTH.
I'm interested in switching to the TL-R605 (or the ER7206) - to have a unified SDN.
I currently have an OC200 controlling4x EAP-225v3. The EAP-225v3 work great.

And I have been using a Ubiquiti ER-4 - which works, but if I could switch to have a single interface controlled via the OC200, I would do it.
Also, I'm a touch concerned that further Ubiquiti updates will force me to use their Cloud Service, which I am not interested in.

Is TL-605 up to it?

Last edited:
How is the LAN-WAN speed on the TL-R605?
Does it have sufficent Hardware Offload to handle symmetric 1 gigabit internet connection?

I don't know, it was only a quick experiment. I had to organize the new Wi-Fi setup faster than I thought. The full story: