What's new

TP-LINK TL-ER5120 Multiwan Router (350MB throughput for $250) - Anyone use this?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

10 month update

This an update to my original post @ the 10 month mileston, I have been using the TP-ER5120 for 10 months and I have added the following:
TL-SG 1024 ( 24 port gigabit switch)
Avocent DSR 1022 (Remote Server Control Unit)
Synology DS411+ (NAS)
2x Cisco E2500 (Wifi )
7x PC's
4x Mobile Devices
Added...
4 HD IP PTZ Cams
1 X SkypeVOIP
1 X OBIha
1 X Ooma
1 X Cisco E3200
1 X Security System
1 X Net to Serial Automation

I have encountered no issues with the ER5120.. usage has been heavy.
-On average I move about 1 terrabyte across the LAN
-On average I move about 300 Gigs externally across the WAN

As mentioned I have dual Internet connections (DSL & Cable Modem). On average I have had a failure once a month Comtasitic! The router takes about 5-10 seconds to redirect to the available WAN port.

I am planning to add an additional redundant WAN option such that I have 3 available outbound WAN connections.

On the subject of Internet performance.. I have a VPN running consistently that consumes about 1mb up and down, Stream audio 2mb down, Wife and Kid each watch Streaming services, Nanny steams music etc.. We have no issue with jitter or buffering. My Wan 1 is 50 mb and Wan 2 is 5 mb.

Thus far my favorite feature is the saturation mechanism, which forces traffic to another available WAN port. This can cause issues though with streaming services.

I can say I highly recommend this item as a home router.

cooling fan

does anyone know if the TL-ER5120 or TL-ER6120 have cooling fans in them or are they silent/fanless?

Active Cooling Fan

It does have an active fan for cooling, about the noise level of a latop fan running full.

Fan-less design on ER5120 and ER6120 to save on power and noise. I've asked TP-LINK TW SR-Network Engineer on this subject myself.

Throughput for BT is awesome! But might loose BT due to the new security feature that goes into effect in 2013. But this router is excellent well I like the ER6120 better. I had the ER5120 and had issues with it. Sent it right back!

The ER6120 router looks interesting. Did anybody figure out the security issue? I was looking at the manual for access list and could not find it. Can you block inbound traffic by IP class A, B or etc using IP addresses? I wonder how the speed would compare with a Cisco RV180 ? I am always looking for a faster router.

The ER6120 router looks interesting. Did anybody figure out the security issue? I was looking at the manual for access list and could not find it. Can you block inbound traffic by IP class A, B or etc using IP addresses? I wonder how the speed would compare with a Cisco RV180 ? I am always looking for a faster router.

Use the TP-LINK Emulator for ER6120
http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-ER6120(UN)/userRpm/Index.htm

Get your hands into the simulator for this wired router.

Working with the emulator I was able to block by IP and mask. Using an 8 bit mask will work for class A blocks. Using a 16 bit mask will work for Class B. So this part makes me happy.
The problem with FIOS and PPTP in the subnet is not a deal breaker for me. Are there any other major issues with this router?

Well I ordered a TP-ER6120 router. It will be here by the end of the week. I will be moving over to Time Warner Cable next week so the router will be here just in time. I am sorry Cisco sold off their small router network part of the company. Guess I will learn to run on different brands now.

Well I ordered a TP-ER6120 router. It will be here by the end of the week. I will be moving over to Time Warner Cable next week so the router will be here just in time. I am sorry Cisco sold off their small router network part of the company. Guess I will learn to run on different brands now.

The old Linksys company was better but in the end these companies get taken over then drop so fast. Great you have made a wise investment. You'll be happy with your new ER6120 like I am! :)

I received my TP-ER6120 router today. I upgraded the firmware first thing. I then had to change the router from NAT to Classic mode to support my internal routed network. I do like the sophisticated DHCP on this router. I sure do like to be able to set reservations for DHCP. Next week I will get my high speed internet with Time Warner cable systems. Right now it is only running at 6 meg on my ATT DSL connection but all is good.
I still have a lot of work on my reconfiguration of my network.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 380
Hello!

Does TP-Link have support for Mac VPN clients? Anyone using TL-6020/6120 with VPN to Mac clients that can share their experiences/tips?

Need to do VPN from the road (MBP -> iMac) but the h/w is not supported for post-Lion thus something simple as Back to My Mac is not available.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet & going H/W VPN function on broadband router instead ... just can't find a good write-up/review on what works for Apple stuff.

Thank you.
Bob

I received my TP-ER6120 router today. I upgraded the firmware first thing. I then had to change the router from NAT to Classic mode to support my internal routed network. I do like the sophisticated DHCP on this router. I sure do like to be able to set reservations for DHCP. Next week I will get my high speed internet with Time Warner cable systems. Right now it is only running at 6 meg on my ATT DSL connection but all is good.
I still have a lot of work on my reconfiguration of my network.

You got some tape backups their still your using a much better router. Share with us who you manage with the new upgrade from Time Warner.

I don’t manage anyone or their network. I have been retired for 5 years. The rack and stuff is just left over from my network days. The short rack fits in a closet and keeps everything organized so I just keep using it.

I think I have found a problem with the ER-6120 router using an access list. I want to block all DNS but my local provider’s DNS server. I added an access list to permit DNS from local provider
ANY 209.18.47.61/32 Allow DNS LAN Always

I then added a deny all DNS.
ANY ANY Block DNS LAN Always
DNS is blocked at this point. I tried adding priority 1 to the allow statement which did not fix it. Would someone confirm what I found? Does anybody see an error with what I am trying to do? The router is fast otherwise.

I just figured out the issue. If I allow 192.168.0.1 the router instead of the outside DNS address then it will work. The router is the DNS relay. The router is blocking the LAN side before the router translates the DNS to the outside WAN address

Any update regarding TL-ER6120 security issue?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if you have any new updates regarding the security issue(s) with the TL-ER6120 ?

Which other similar routers would you guys recommend? I just need something without any known security issues (or at least all issues fixed) and a good/decent firewall.

Have a great day!