What's new

Traffic analyzer - dig deeper

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tigo13

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I've scavenged around but perhaps not deep enough, so seeking some help.

Is it possible for me to review - pull out any logs from the traffic monitor page (within the traffic analyzer tab), to identify IP-related traffic. When I look at the daily graph - it is reporting that I had transmitted approx. 26GB, and that is confusing me.

Assumption: The transmission column on this graph captures internet WAN traffic. Is my assumption correct? If so, then, is it possible for me to identify the source IP address that was sending out the traffic? or the recipient IP-address of the traffic? Else, what the hell is the transmission column capturing.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.42.16 pm.jpg

(I did not enable the trend-micro system analyzer because of privacy.)

Also, would anyone be able to suggest any better traffic analytical tools that I can run on the router. (At present, i'm considering the SNMPd - and to tie it with an MRTG monitor. Simply looking for free stuff that can be run within the private network. Also, I've bumped into this github on , but I haven't yet understood how to set it up completely.

Thanks,

Can't tell what IP used the traffic with the available built-in tools. Looks something like torrent download/upload to me.

where are those tools? would they tell me the internal IP address of the traffic and perhaps the port? - I'm still learning about Merlin.

- The downloaded traffic is Steam, I was setting up a gaming computer at the time, but didn't enable any outgoing streams from Steam.

Many thanks Val

What router model we are talking about?

Some models offer per IP traffic monitoring, but it had to be enabled first and it has performance impact.

Then TrendMicro Traffic Analyzer is the only built-in tool able to show which client transferred the data, but in your case it wasn’t enabled.