What's new

traffic manager crazy numbers again 374.41 (Merlin build)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hw accel on, QoS off, IPV6 off
ISP: Telecom Italia

same problem here 374.41, nvram reset done and settings manually inserted

what ISPs are you all using?

Also with Teksavvy/Bell Canada on VDSL (PPPoE)

Could this be a hardware issue ?

Is there a manual command for clearing all settings and verifying it ?

Would doing a firmware recovery procedure be more thorough ?

Thanks

No, this is definitely a software issue. I just wasn't able to track it down when I configured my own PPPoE access point to try to reproduce the issue.

Is there a way I could help by running a debug load of .41 (RT-N66U) with additional info? The output of 'cat /proc/net/dev' looks ok to me, so the issue should be in the module that processes that data and stores it for 24h ...

This is what my chart looks like:

Attachments

• 24h.png
    24h.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 515
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way I could help by running a debug load of .41 (RT-N66U) with additional info? The output of 'cat /proc/net/dev' looks ok to me, so the issue should be in the module that processes that data and stores it for 24h ...

This is what my chart looks like:

Any luck ?

I noticed that in the individual IP log (when enabled) it does not occur for the 24h or daily. The cumulative log still has the bogus numbers.

speedbump, I will gladly run a diagnostic build and help with data collection if Merlin provides such a build. This build might never happen for many reasons. In the meantime, enjoy this great firmware :)

I have VDSL2 from bell and experiencing same thing. However I am wondering if any of you have set "Idle Disconnect Time in seconds: Disconnect after time of inactivity (in seconds)" to zero. If so it may be possible router is sending dummy packet to modem or ISP to keep connection alive and that is increasing value of data send.

Similar to hello packets in routing protocols.

Last edited:
Mines doing this too on latest fw, pppoe vdsl connection. Apparently I downloaded terabytes yesterday at a max speed of 56,000 KB per second. This is with a n66u.

I have VDSL2 from bell and experiencing same thing. However I am wondering if any of you have set "Idle Disconnect Time in seconds: Disconnect after time of inactivity (in seconds)" to zero. If so it may be possible router is sending dummy packet to modem or ISP to keep connection alive and that is increasing value of data send.

Similar to hello packets in routing protocols.

I never touched that field, whatever is the default that's what mine is set to.

However even if it was the case one terabyte/day is a bit much just to keep the modem alive.....

Merlin is there any chance you could assist fantom in trouble shooting these.

These stats are very useful, as in Canada the main carriers charge quite a bit for over usage, and although they do provide methods of checking usage, it is much more convenient to use the stats from the router.

Thanks in advance.

Merlin is there any chance you could assist fantom in trouble shooting these.

These stats are very useful, as in Canada the main carriers charge quite a bit for over usage, and although they do provide methods of checking usage, it is much more convenient to use the stats from the router.

Thanks in advance.

I already tried, as discussed in the other thread devoted to this issue, and I can't find it. Asus, or another developer who can reproduce the issue will have to.

Keep in mind that this is code that wasn't written by me, and contains next to zero comments explaining how it works. It's not as simple as debugging code which you wrote yourself.

I already tried, as discussed in the other thread devoted to this issue, and I can't find it. Asus, or another developer who can reproduce the issue will have to.

Keep in mind that this is code that wasn't written by me, and contains next to zero comments explaining how it works. It's not as simple as debugging code which you wrote yourself.

Got it, thanks for humoring me and replying ;-)

It's been pointed out in other threads that the numbers are more accurate if you switch to per-IP monitoring on the Tools-Other Settings tab. You can then check totals per device on the Traffic Manager page.

Last edited:
For me, I notice for Traffic Manager, Per IP-Real time shows no results. If I switch to this screen, then the pull-down only shows Global options, but none of them change the screen. When I switch to some other page and then back, all the pull down options are available again. Per IP daily and monthy seem ok, as do the Global options.

RT-N66U, .41, factory reset. No filtering, show IPs with no traffic set to on.

Ok, this issue became too annoying that I decided to debug it. So far I tracked it down to "/bin/rstats" and "/var/spool/rstats-speed.js". The data in the generated JS file is already corrupted. I confirmed that the 24h page just dispays the data as is. So far so good.

A weird thing I noticed is that the data for previous intervals can be different in the js file: the data points are supposed to just move to the left in the array and they do sometimes, but then they are replaced with some other values. Then they can go back to those a minute ago and so on.

Other times the array is just repeating the same value over and over again.

0,0,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087,2823087

Took a while to actually catch this, but that might point out to some uninitized variables. I have noticed that RMerlin just made a change to initialize the some variables in "rstats" and "libshared.so". I am now building the latest and the greatest to see if his change does the trick.

Last edited by a moderator: