What's new

Traffic spike fix from 384.14_2 was reverted in 386.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FYI, RT-AC86U_9.0.05edd47f_cferom_ubi.w.4_386_42210-g seemed to solve the issue with my AC86U. No ghost spikes after approx. 20 hours, and plausible totals.

If I understand correctly, Merlin 386.2 is merged with GPL 386_42095. So, maybe for a future cycle ;-)

PS: I could also reproduce the problem on Asus 9.0.0.4.386_41994
Where were you able to download firmware version RT-AC86U_9.0.05edd47f_cferom_ubi.w.4_386_42210-g from?

Please test the builds in the Kernel Patch folder here: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds

That was unexpected :oops: ... straight after flashing could not log in to webgui or SSH - claimed wrong pword ???

Never had that one before - and could not find a way back in without doing WiFi button power on reset - settings restore failed to regrant access - so 2nd WiFi button power on reset ... did minimal setup with same username pword that I normally use ... was then able to restore all my settings from backup taken immediately BEFORE first flash of test firmware :D.

Will report back on traffic monitor spikes - nothing abnormal yet on the spike front.

I only get/got these "spikes" when the time on my computer would update or "catch up" as I was monitoring traffic.
The time on my router was always SPOT ON but the time in the computer would "drift" from power line voltage/phase fluctuations.
This was with a HP dc5800 SFF.
When it quit it was replaced with a HP dc7800p and the trouble went away.
That one has since been replaced with a IBM Think Center 93P and still not having that problem.

Your Mileage May Vary

@RMerlin This has fixed the Real-Time issue where the scale would shoot up to the same max value (2147500KB, 2147.5MB / 2.175TB) for no reason

1616850408682.png

I can't recall the last time I've had spikes in the 24-hour view but I'll keep my eye on it.

I will try the fix as soon as I can get to it. Here's a parital pic of what mine looks like:
Traffic Spikes.png

Please test the builds in the Kernel Patch folder here: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/test-builds
Dear RMerlin,

AC86U here.

I have installed the special of the day 386.2_beta2-g2f7a878aad.

The dirty upgrade went without a glitch.

I used to have unreal traffic spike in Traffic Analyzer/Traffic monitor/Real-time, within a few minutes (with Cake OFF; also with the regular 386.2 beta 2).
With that new Kernel Patch, no unreal spike after 60 minutes (with Cake OFF). And the figures in the table look OK. Looks promising. :)

Thank you very much.
W.

PS: I guess that Kernel Patch might be similar to what ASUS had me test with RT-AC86U_9.0.0.4_386_42210-g5edd47f_cferom_ubi.w

@RMerlin Does the kernel patch only work with the HND models or is that just what you decided to build? I ask because the spikes affect other models as well.

Using the RT-AX86U with the 386.2_beta2-g2f7a878aad firmware for over 22 hours and no issues and no spikes. This seems fixed on this end.

@Morac, HND models only (on purpose).

@RMerlin Does the kernel patch only work with the HND models or is that just what you decided to build? I ask because the spikes affect other models as well.
Asus only provided me with HND patches. Either they forgot to supply me patches for the pre-HND models, or they didn't patch anything in these.

PS: I guess that Kernel Patch might be similar to what ASUS had me test with RT-AC86U_9.0.0.4_386_42210-g5edd47f_cferom_ubi.w
Yes, this the patch they provided me when I said the fix was somewhere between 42095 and 42210.

Just loaded " kernel-patch" software on RT-AX58U and RT-AX86U and have no problem. I don't se any spikes either.

The kernel function Asus patched does not exist in 2.6.36, so I doubt there is anything to patch for these older kernels. I'll ask them just in case whether they have a similar patch for these older kernels, but I doubt it.

That was unexpected :oops: ... straight after flashing could not log in to webgui or SSH - claimed wrong pword ???

Never had that one before - and could not find a way back in without doing WiFi button power on reset - settings restore failed to regrant access - so 2nd WiFi button power on reset ... did minimal setup with same username pword that I normally use ... was then able to restore all my settings from backup taken immediately BEFORE first flash of test firmware :D.

Will report back on traffic monitor spikes - nothing abnormal yet on the spike front.

Confirm - no more traffic spikes like before - been running for 16 hrs on AX86U with a couple of reboots in-between. Was seeing spikes before within 30 minutes of every reboot ... and then randomly after that.

I can also confirm that the spikes are gone with the 386.2_beta2-g2f7a878aad firmware.
Before I was seeing the spikes within 2 minutes after starting the Traffic Monitor.

And even the CPU temp is 2 degrees lower now (74°, before 76°).

Last edited:
Asus is unable to reproduce the issue on any of the older non-HND models, only the HND model (which was already fixed).

If you still have this traffic spike issue and have one of these models:

RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1
RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300

Please send an email to router_feedback@asus.com, and mention me in your email, so Asus can try to track it down with you.

Asus is unable to reproduce the issue on any of the older non-HND models, only the HND model (which was already fixed).

If you still have this traffic spike issue and have one of these models:

RT-AC68U/RT-AC66U_B1
RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300

Please send an email to router_feedback@asus.com, and mention me in your email, so Asus can try to track it down with you.

I sent an email to ASUS, but haven’t heard back. Any idea how long it should take for them to get back to me?

I sent an email to ASUS, but haven’t heard back. Any idea how long it should take for them to get back to me?
I don't know.

I’m still having the same spikes on my AC68 on 386.2. Bummer. Not trying to be pessimistic but I don’t foresee ASUS actually getting back to people with these kernel 2.6 devices.

I don't know.

Did they ask you to tell us to email them or did you just suggest that? If it was the former, you’d think they would expect emails. If it’s the later, I’m not sure they’ll ever respond.