What's new

Entware Transmission stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can confirm it: latest Entware Transmission 4.0.3-2 crashes and the only fix is to set
Code:
"dht-enabled": false,
in /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json

I am pretty sure the problem is in libdht. Hope it will be updated in a near time.
Thank you.
That solved my problem. A day lost is a problem solved😵‍💫.
Have AC68U with 386.11.
Client on phone and web interface worked instantly, on the desktop I have to delete profiles and make new one.

IMHO а better approach to solve the issue is to link libdht statically (as in transmission 3 and earlier versions).
Here is daemon https://test.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/transmission-daemon_4.0.3-2a_armv7-2.6.ipk
Other transmission ipk can be found here - https://test.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/

Thanks, just updated transmission to 4.0.3-2a using amtm ep command, and re-enabled dht in settings.json.
Started some minutes ago some random torrent downloads and all seems working fine.

Thanks, just updated transmission to 4.0.3-2a using amtm ep command, and re-enabled dht in settings.json.
Started some minutes ago some random torrent downloads and all seems working fine.
Can you explain how you did it? I just updated all Entware packages, (opkg update then upgrade), also disabled DHT on setting.json but no way, I can't get it started.

Can you explain how you did it? I just updated all Entware packages, (opkg update then upgrade), also disabled DHT on setting.json but no way, I can't get it started.
Solution: I had to remove Entware and reinstall all from scratch, including scripts, updating it was not enough, now seems working again.

For those of us who aren't going to go through all that, is there a solution at this point? I don't have the time to reinstall all my packages from scratch, not that I'm using that many. I've tried force reinstalling libcurl and that didn't work. I've tried updating Entware and the packages and upgrading all that. I tried config changes as mentioned. But my Transmission remote client still refuses connection. Transmission starts on the router, but I can't connect to it through various clients.

edit: Why does it always happen like this? I fixed it shortly after posting that. I tried a bunch of things and was frustrated so came here to post for more help. After posting I dug in to figure it out and I noticed that when I was doing an 'opkg upgrade' transmission-daemon wasn't updating because some files were provided by another package:

Code:
Upgrading transmission-web on root from 3.00-4 to 4.0.3-4...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/transmission-web_4.0.3-4_all.ipk
Installing transmission-daemon (4.0.3-4) to root...
Downloading https://bin.entware.net/armv7sf-k2.6/transmission-daemon_4.0.3-4_armv7-2.6.ipk
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package transmission-daemon wants to install file /opt/bin/transmission-daemon
        But that file is already provided by package  * transmission-daemon-openssl
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package transmission-daemon wants to install file /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package transmission-daemon wants to install file /opt/etc/sysctl.d/20-transmission.conf

Maybe there were other ways of solving this and I'm all ears if someone has a more correct way to perform this but I just did

Code:
opkg upgrade --force-overwrite

Once I did this the files in question were updated and when I restarted transmission i was able to connect with my clients.

Last edited:
I had the same issue as I had weeks ago when I upgraded to the latest transmission via amtm ep option. The daemon would not start except now I was getting the error
Code:
transmission-daemon -g /opt/etc/transmission -f
ERR transmission-daemon Error loading config file -- exiting. daemon.cc:914
I couldn't figure it out no matter how much googling I did and auto-removing all transmission package contents made no difference. I finally ran the following command post install
Code:
opkg install --force-reinstall transmission-daemon
and never touched the json file. Started the daemon and came up with no issues. I then went into the json and edited to allow login with a password. Launched the daemon and failed again. Waited 30 seconds or so started the daemon again and this time all worked well. Not sure why or if all this is required but I was at my wits end so YMMV!

EDIT: Tested a new torrent which I was able to download and share back into the swarm with no issues. Port 51413 was open and working as well.

Last edited:
Is there a common issue that has been discovered? It seems like everyone is noticing theirs fixed for different reasons. I feel like we're all having the same issue but there is some common thread in all the ways we're using to troubleshoot the problem that ends up resulting in fixing the precise thing that is breaking the launch. I've read the whole thread and at points thought I understood what was going on. I *think* it was caused by an Entware change. But then not many people are having luck resolving their problems with the ways other posters have shared their "fix". I certainly tried a bunch of suggestions in this thread that I thought might apply to my situation but nothing worked. If you go by me and the last poster it looks like it's just a file that needs to be updated somewhere. But why aren't traditional methods like an opkg update fixing things? I'm not educated enough on the internals of the firmware to truly understand at this point.

Hi all,

I was affected by the problem discussed here and I solved it so far by updating Transmission Daemon to version 4.0.3-4 with options
Code:
I did not touch
Code:
/opt/etc/transmission/settings.ison
, DHT is enabled, like before. Now Transmission Daemon starts again, the status via
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check
is 'alive'. I can control Transmission via remote GUI and add torrents. But they are not downloaded, there are 0 peers connected (but I see some peers and seeds reported by GUI) and the progress is 0. Did I miss something? Thank you in advance!

Regards

Hi all,

I was affected by the problem discussed here and I solved it so far by updating Transmission Daemon to version 4.0.3-4 with options
Code:
I did not touch
Code:
/opt/etc/transmission/settings.ison
, DHT is enabled, like before. Now Transmission Daemon starts again, the status via
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check
is 'alive'. I can control Transmission via remote GUI and add torrents. But they are not downloaded, there are 0 peers connected (but I see some peers and seeds reported by GUI) and the progress is 0. Did I miss something? Thank you in advance!

Regards
What if you do:

Code:
okpg upgrade --force-overwrite

That's what solved my issue and it does seem a step further than what you did. I'm still curious why this broke. I didn't keep the log but more items than just transmission-daemon were updated when I did that.

Last edited:
opkg upgrade --force-overwrite didn't change anything, daemon is still running, but torrents are not downloading 🤷‍♂️

Some ISPs are actually pretty smart when it comes to bittorrent - smart enough to know the default port for transmission. So if you're still using 51413 try changing it, or even better set transmission to use a random port.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!