What's new

Entware Transmission stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think I'm just going to wipe entware and start fresh again as none of the suggestions work unfortunately. I'll post my results later on in the weekend. Thanks.
I don't think could be something related to entware installation, lookin to log it seems a problem between transmission and kernel.
Today I crossed:

RT-AC68U_386.10_0
RT-AC68U_386.11_0

with

transmission-daemon_3.00-19_armv7-2.6/transmission-web_3.00-19_all
transmission-daemon_3.00-19b_armv7-2.6/transmission-web_3.00-19b_all
transmission-daemon_4.0.3-2_armv7-2.6/transmission-web_4.0.3-2_all

Tried all 6 combinations... and the winner is: 386.10 with 3.00-19.
This is the only combination that's actually working for more than 2 minutes.

I'm curious to read @atkinsom report with a freshly installed entware-ng.

EDIT:
1 torrent download successfully, but after 15 minutes:
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: transmission-da/1520: potentially unexpected fatal signal 11.
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: Pid: 1520, comm: transmission-da
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: CPU: 0 Tainted: P (2.6.36.4brcmarm #1)
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: PC is at 0x40499090
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: LR is at 0x26118
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: pc : [<40499090>] lr : [<00026118>] psr: 600e0010
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: sp : 40b045e0 ip : 40499090 fp : 40c442d4
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: r10: 00000000 r9 : 0005fd64 r8 : 00000000
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: r7 : 00061164 r6 : 40c5f9f8 r5 : 00000000 r4 : 00000000
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: r3 : 00000000 r2 : 00000001 r1 : 00000014 r0 : 00000000
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: Flags: nZCv IRQs on FIQs on Mode USER_32 ISA ARM Segment user
Jun 18 07:16:15 kernel: Control: 10c53c7d Table: 9a99c04a DAC: 00000015

Last edited:
I give up!
Updated again router firmware to .11, reinstalled entware from 0, installed transmission 4.0.3-2, anche now I'm exactly at the starting point. Transmission starts and exit immediately without a specific error:

Jun 18 08:31:40 max: Started transmission-daemon from .
Jun 18 08:33:00 max: Started transmission-daemon from .

@QMax, what other features, options, and scripts do you have running on your router?

When was the last time you fully reset it after flashing the latest firmware? And then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP. Without using a saved backup config file to configure them. And, without inserting a USB drive that was previously used for scripts/amtm, without first formatting it on a PC as NTFS format?

@QMax, what other features, options, and scripts do you have running on your router?

When was the last time you fully reset it after flashing the latest firmware? And then minimally and manually configure the router to secure it and connect it to your ISP. Without using a saved backup config file to configure them. And, without inserting a USB drive that was previously used for scripts/amtm, without first formatting it on a PC as NTFS format?
Hi, latest reset to default with .10 firmware upgrade. Complete manually reconfigured. USB disk formatted today with complete entware reinstall. Just transmission on entware, and YazDHCP script running.

The resets/formats need to be done at the same time.

Order, matters.

I give up!
Updated again router firmware to .11, reinstalled entware from 0, installed transmission 4.0.3-2, anche now I'm exactly at the starting point. Transmission starts and exit immediately without a specific error:

Jun 18 08:31:40 max: Started transmission-daemon from .
Jun 18 08:33:00 max: Started transmission-daemon from .
I reformatted my attached drive hard drive and reinstalled entware and created swap file on the AC68U. Installed transmission as per merlin wiki and same issue again.... the daemon starts and then stops for no reason. I then setup transmission on my synology NAS with no issues to get things back up and running. Everything was working great until I did the upgrade to 4.0.3-2 earlier this week. I'm going to stop the troubleshooting right now as I've just bought an RT-AX86U Pro (sweet deal at Best Buy in Flint MI while I was away) that I'm going to setup next weekend when I get back from holidays. At that point I'll start fresh with the merlin firmware and start the process once again as transmission is the only thing I really use as an add-on.

The resets/formats need to be done at the same time.

Order, matters.
Don't think this really matter, otherwise a full router reset should be mandatory before every entware installation. I never did it, and installed entware on 3/4 router without any problems. .11 firmware and 3.0.9 transmission worked great (as other people reported) until the 4.0.3-2 update done via amtm. For sure not only transmission-daemon and transmission-web has been replaced, cause reinstalling previous version doesn't solve the problem. Really don't understand why previous transmission release worked with latest firmware for 2 months, and now I cannot find a way to turn back to that combination of firmware and transmission release.

It seems to matter though.

Either that or the USB drive itself is going south.

Don't think this really matter, otherwise a full router reset should be mandatory before every entware installation. I never did it, and installed entware on 3/4 router without any problems. .11 firmware and 3.0.9 transmission worked great (as other people reported) until the 4.0.3-2 update done via amtm. For sure not only transmission-daemon and transmission-web has been replaced, cause reinstalling previous version doesn't solve the problem. Really don't understand why previous transmission release worked with latest firmware for 2 months, and now I cannot find a way to turn back to that combination of firmware and transmission release.
I am on AX86U with OS 388.1 and 4.0.3-2 transmission and it’s working. Only when I upgraded the os to 388.2_2 it stopped working. Let me know if you like me to send any logs or anything that might help.

@L&LD, no way router reset, jffs reformat, USB disk replaced and reformat, reinstall firmware and entware.
As reported by @abir1909 too, we're coming from a working application. It's hard to believe that all our USB disk are gone at the same time.
I really think it's a mismatch between firmware and entware. As reported in other threads, latest entware update created lot of troubles on different entware applications.

I have the same problem with transmission as described by @QMax, running AC68U with AsusWRT-Merlin 386.11 and latest Entware with transmission 4.0.3.

Running transmission via startup script from /opt/etc/init.d causes it to exit immediately with no messages. However, I tried starting transmission-daemon in foreground:
Code:
...:/tmp/home/root# transmission-daemon -g /opt/etc/transmission -f
transmission-daemon: symbol lookup error: /opt/lib/libdht.so: undefined symbol: dht_random_bytes
Checking the mentioned .so file shows the following:
Code:
...:/tmp/home/root# opkg search /opt/lib/libdht.so
libdht - 2022-04-27-11123089-1

Reinstalling libdht package does not help, version string hints that it is a bit dated anyway.

I strongly suspect that it's entware problem, libdht should be upgraded for transmission to work.

Now I'm actually sure of this, I managed to start transmission-daemon with the switch to disable DHT
Code:
 -O   --no-dht                          Disable distributed hash tables (DHT)
and successfully downloaded a torrent.

Just tried -O option and it works here too.
Thanks, hope in a libdht update.

Just tried -O option and it works here too.
Thanks, hope in a libdht update.
Quickly confirmed as well on the AC68U I currently use. I now have a solution for my new setup this weekend. Thanks for the help spirit :)

I've tried to start the transmission-daemon with the following command: ./transmission-daemon -O
from this path: /tmp/mnt/SanDisk/entware/bin

and if I run the "/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission check" command the program is alive. but when I try to open the web ui or when I try to connect via android transmission app, it says:

403: Forbidden​

Do you have any solution for this problem?

The 403 forbidden error requires a change within the settings.json file...see below highlighted in yellow (just edit what you see as I have legacy rpc entries in my file) and that will fix your issue assuming you followed all the steps in the merlin wiki and made the change that spirit mentioned above...the spirit mod was made permanent for now by editing the S88transmission file and adding the argument -O BEFORE the -g

1687716251871.png

Last edited:
The 403 forbidden error requires a change within the settings.json file...see below highlighted in yellow (just edit what you see as I have legacy rpc entries in my file) and that will fix your issue assuming you followed all the steps in the merlin wiki and made the change that spirit mentioned above...the spirit mod was made permanent for now by editing the S88transmission file and adding the argument -O BEFORE the -g

View attachment 51314
Thanks, our json file already contains the suggested modifications.

This is my settings.json file, maybe you can notice something that is incorrect in the file
"alt-speed-down": 50,
"alt-speed-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-begin": 540,
"alt-speed-time-day": 127,
"alt-speed-time-enabled": false,
"alt-speed-time-end": 1020,
"alt-speed-up": 50,
"bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",
"bind-address-ipv6": "::",
"blocklist-enabled": false,
"blocklist-url": "http://list.iblocklist.com/?list=bt_level1",
"cache-size-mb": 2,
"dht-enabled": true,
"download-dir": "/tmp/mnt/SanDisk/Torrent",
"download-queue-enabled": true,
"download-queue-size": 5,
"encryption": 0,
"idle-seeding-limit": 30,
"idle-seeding-limit-enabled": false,
"incomplete-dir": "/opt/downloads/torrent/incomplete",
"incomplete-dir-enabled": false,
"lpd-enabled": true,
"message-level": 1,
"peer-congestion-algorithm": "",
"peer-id-ttl-hours": 6,
"peer-limit-global": 40,
"peer-limit-per-torrent": 8,
"peer-port": 51413,
"peer-port-random-high": 65535,
"peer-port-random-low": 49152,
"peer-port-random-on-start": false,
"peer-socket-tos": "lowcost",
"pex-enabled": true,
"port-forwarding-enabled": false,
"preallocation": 1,
"prefetch-enabled": false,
"queue-stalled-enabled": true,
"queue-stalled-minutes": 30,
"ratio-limit": 2,
"ratio-limit-enabled": false,
"rename-partial-files": true,
"rpc-authentication-required": false,
"rpc-bind-address": "0.0.0.0",
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "",
"rpc-port": 9091,
"rpc-url": "/transmission/",
"rpc-username": "root",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,
"scrape-paused-torrents-enabled": true,
"script-torrent-added-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-added-filename": "",
"script-torrent-done-enabled": false,
"script-torrent-done-filename": "",
"seed-queue-enabled": false,
"seed-queue-size": 10,
"speed-limit-down": 100,
"speed-limit-up-enabled": false,
"start-added-torrents": true,
"trash-original-torrent-files": true,
"umask": 18,
"upload-slots-per-torrent": 14,
"utp-enabled": true,
"watch-dir": "/opt/etc/transmission/watchdir",
"watch-dir-enabled": true

Just for testing I enabled my old settings.json file I used for years before the latest download and no matter what I try the damn thing won't work...getting 403 forbidden error... All the major items are the same as I used a compare and permissions are exactly the same so that's a weird one. Early on I decided to use the new json file that came with 4.03 since it was a major jump in versions hence maybe why I didn't see your issue? Not sure here but flipping back to the new json that came with 4.03 and all is good again. Try in case you haven't gone this far as I really can't explain it.

I'm sure you know but transmission needs to be stopped before making any changes to the settings.json. Perhaps try using wildcards like I did below for the rpc-whitelist entry. I know it says false but you never know as that's the only real difference I see here other than my forced authentication values. FYI used nano on the router to make changes.

"rpc-host-whitelist": "",
"rpc-host-whitelist-enabled": false,
"rpc-whitelist": "*.*.*.*",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,

EDIT: Backed up existing torrent files....Uninstalled Transmission-web transmission-remote and transmission-daemon...deleted all folders setup for transmission left behind after uninstall...resinstalled according to Merlin Wiki just so there wasn't any deviation on my part and once again everything works as expected using the -O switch for the daemon.

Last edited:
EDIT: Backed up existing torrent files....Uninstalled Transmission-web transmission-remote and transmission-daemon...deleted all folders setup for transmission left behind after uninstall...resinstalled according to Merlin Wiki just so there wasn't any deviation on my part and once again everything works as expected using the -O switch for the daemon.

i did that but still got the error 403 forbidden

anyone ?

Now I'm actually sure of this, I managed to start transmission-daemon with the switch to disable DHT
Code:
 -O   --no-dht                          Disable distributed hash tables (DHT)
and successfully downloaded a torrent.
I can confirm it: latest Entware Transmission 4.0.3-2 crashes and the only fix is to set
Code:
"dht-enabled": false,
in /opt/etc/transmission/settings.json

I am pretty sure the problem is in libdht. Hope it will be updated in a near time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!