What's new

Trend Micro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I just wanted to post a comment about the AiProtection feature, powered by Trend Micro. I had thought this was going to be a worthwhile extra layer of security, but I'm aleady starting to have my doubts. For instance, it had (until I eventually found a link to report it to Trend Micro) blocked the well-known software download site www.snapfiles.com under its category "Illegal / Violence." It's also currently blocking the popular sat nav company www.snooper.co.uk under the same category. If Trend can't get well-known sites like this correct, it doesn't give one much confidence that their other classifications are correct either does it? Has anyone else any experience of this feature that they might wish to share? For now, I've turned it off, because if it blocks something, there's no simple way to override it and having to keep logging in to the router to disable it is not an acceptable alternative IMHO.

True, but I would have thought it would have got those well-known sites classified correctly. Also, it wouldn't be so bad if it allowed quick adding to a white list or at least, to notify Trend Micro of a false positive. On the plus side, when I did find a way to notify Trend (on http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/), they did act on it within a few hours.

It redirects all your traffic to a proxy in Japan as well. I also found that when it was enabled, my AC87u crashed 3-4 times per day. Disabled all of it, and the router is rock solid.

Reactions: thc
It redirects all your traffic to a proxy in Japan as well. I also found that when it was enabled, my AC87u crashed 3-4 times per day. Disabled all of it, and the router is rock solid.
I've disabled it as well now as I don't think I need it - I have pretty good paid-for antivirus/internet security software on my PC, + Malwarebytes and I use OpenDNS for content filtering.

Sometimes, blacklisting is caused by the site displaying a malicious ad.

I've disabled it as well now as I don't think I need it

i have had no issue with it here and i enable it on all the asus routers i have , only ever heard the the animals here complaining when they are trolling the net for not so legal downloads and it refuses them but thats what its there for as otherwise they just keep pressing yes to any thing that pops up because they just want that dam content and screw those dam pesky antivirus warnings

imho its certainly worth it if you are not just the only one using the internet and you cant always know where they are going

i have had no issue with it here and i enable it on all the asus routers i have , only ever heard the the animals here complaining when they are trolling the net for not so legal downloads and it refuses them but thats what its there for as otherwise they just keep pressing yes to any thing that pops up because they just want that dam content and screw those dam pesky antivirus warnings

imho its certainly worth it if you are not just the only one using the internet and you cant always know where they are going

If they are Downloading things like that then they should be using a VPN anyway so the fact they are getting a warning from the router proves they are stupid as the ISP can also see it.

AiProtection works very well here rather impressive detection rate and intelligent cloud quickly adding new sites. No impact whatsoever on the connection. On top I don't have to overcharge my system with heavy protections. A must have, not far from expensive UTM systems.:)

AiProtection works very well here rather impressive detection rate and intelligent cloud quickly adding new sites. No impact whatsoever on the connection. On top I don't have to overcharge my system with heavy protections. A must have, not far from expensive UTM systems.:)

I agree, I've seen no measurable impact on performance. Good to have another layer of protection against malware domains.

It's the web and apps feature that causes the problem - the network protection components seem to work OK. For instance, if I only have the network protection components switched on, I can visit www.snooper.co.uk without any problems. But if I turn on all three Adult categories in the web and apps section, the site is blocked with the following message and with no way to add it to a white list:-
  • Description:
    Sites that promote and discuss how to perpetrate nonviolent crimes, including burglary, fraud, intellectual property theft, and plagiarism; includes sites that sell plagiarized or stolen materials.
  • Host: BRIAN-PC (Mac Code Removed)
  • URL: www.snooper.co.uk
  • Content Category :Adult - Illegal and Violence

It's the web and apps feature that causes the problem - the network protection components seem to work OK. For instance, if I only have the network protection components switched on, I can visit www.snooper.co.uk without any problems. But if I turn on all three Adult categories in the web and apps section, the site is blocked with the following message and with no way to add it to a white list:-
  • Description:
    Sites that promote and discuss how to perpetrate nonviolent crimes, including burglary, fraud, intellectual property theft, and plagiarism; includes sites that sell plagiarized or stolen materials.
  • Host: BRIAN-PC (Mac Code Removed)
  • URL: www.snooper.co.uk
  • Content Category :Adult - Illegal and Violence

The database is entirely managed by Trend Micro, it's the same database used for their business class products. You can do an online lookup through their website:

http://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/

It will give you more details as to the site's classification, and allow you to request a re-classification if you believe this is an error.

I've submitted a request to have the site reclassified. I did this recently with www.snapfiles.com and that now works OK (at least, it did the last time I tried it).