What's new

TRENDnet’s First Business Router Includes WAN Load Balancing, Router Limits

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
tew-829dru_v1.0r_011218-(main).jpg
The tri-band TEW-829DRU, TRENDnet’s first business class router, is an AC3000 wireless router with dual WAN Ethernet ports providing load balancing and failover modes.

Designed for SMBs, the router supports three concurrent wireless bands, two 5 GHz and one 2.4 GHz, running maximum link rates of 1733 Mbps, 867 Mbps and 400 Mbps, respectively.

"Business" features include wireless client isolation, QoS for VoIP and media streaming, SSL, IPsec, PPTP, L2TP w/IPsec VPN support and IEEE 802.1Q inter-VLAN routing.

TRENDnet also adds web content filtering to the TEW-829DRU via Router Limits, enforcing managed screen time, content filtering, browsing history tracking, internet access pausing, safe searching, and restricting screen time. Other TEW-829DRU features include online firmware updates and pre-encrypted Wi-Fi.

Interfaces built into the TEW-829DRU include two GbE WAN ports, eight GbE LAN ports, one USB 3.0 port, and a RJ-45 console port. Customers can manage the TEW-829DRU using a web interface or CLI, while Router Limits uses an app for its web content filtering management.

Available now, the TRENDnet TEW-829DRU has an MSRP of $399.99.

Would love to see a review. I am less concerned with wireless performance these days and more focused with throughput from my gigabit wan. Nice that it is rack mountable

Would love to see a review. I am less concerned with wireless performance these days and more focused with throughput from my gigabit wan. Nice that it is rack mountable

Since this router is likely to be just using common consumer-class hardware (Qualcomm IPQ4019 & QCA9984) I would not expect any surprise performance wins.

Looks like a Netgear Orbi RBR50 with USB 3.0 + handful of "business" features, or a Mikrotik hAP ac2 without a fancy QCA9984 5GHz chip and USB 3.0 + much less routing features.

Since neither of those have the hardware resources to do strong content filtering/UTM services, I question why this device is listed at 2.25 times the cost of an RBR50 and almost 6 times the cost of a hAP ac2. :)

Since this router is likely to be just using common consumer-class hardware (Qualcomm IPQ4019 & QCA9984) I would not expect any surprise performance wins.

If the hAP ac2 is anything to go by, the hardware can support bidirectional Gigabit Ethernet down to at least 512 byte packet size with CTF (Mikrotik "Fast Path"), which beats most consumer routers easily. However, no way of knowing for sure because it depends on TRENDNet's implementation.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!