What's new

Trouble Connecting Sonos IKEA Speakers to ASUS GT-AX6000 with Merlin Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MysticNetWanderer

Occasional Visitor
Greetings, denizens of SNBForums,

I come before you with a vexing issue that has me ensnared in a web of wireless woe. I am the proud owner of an ASUS GT-AX6000 router, and I've recently made the switch to Merlin firmware. The transition has been mostly smooth, and I've particularly enjoyed the ease of setting up VPN via VPN Director.

However, I've hit a snag when it comes to my Sonos IKEA speakers—a Picture Frame and a Bookshelf speaker, to be precise. While I've been able to configure them through the Sonos S2 Android app, the Picture Frame speaker has proven to be particularly elusive. It keeps disappearing from my network, forcing me to set it up again from scratch. It's as if it's playing a cruel game of hide-and-seek, and I'm always "it."

I've exhausted my own limited arsenal of troubleshooting tactics to no avail. So, I turn to you, wise sages, in the hope that you might shed some light on this dark conundrum. Is there a setting, a tweak, a spell, perhaps, that might stabilize this shaky connection?

Your insights would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
MysticNetWanderer

A quick update on my ongoing saga with the elusive Sonos IKEA Picture Frame speaker. I've made some adjustments to my wireless network settings, and the IKEA Bookshelf speaker now connects without issue. A small victory, but the battle rages on.

The Picture Frame speaker, however, remains a confounding enigma. After performing a factory reset, it tantalizingly connects for a brief moment, only to vanish from the Sonos S2 app like a phantom. Strangely enough, when I consult the network map on my ASUS GT-AX6000 router, the speaker still appears as a connected client. It's as if it's taunting me from the digital beyond.

Has anyone encountered this maddening phenomenon? Any insights into what dark sorcery might be at play here would be most welcome.

Ok, so it seems like i have a stable connection with both speakers now while manualy assigning their respective IP in DHCP. But whenever i activate my first guest network, it seems like the sonos picture frame speaker is forcing it self on another subnet to this respective guest network, but i cant change anything without activating it. Or am i missing something?

what is this (problematic) picture frame speaker you mention? I'm strangely intrigued...

Ok, so it seems like i have a stable connection with both speakers now while manualy assigning their respective IP in DHCP. But whenever i activate my first guest network, it seems like the sonos picture frame speaker is forcing it self on another subnet to this respective guest network, but i cant change anything without activating it. Or am i missing something?

Guest wireless 1 uses different subnets from main LAN and guest 2 and 3. Guest networks also isolate devices from seeing each other which would explain not being able to access them in your app.

EDIT to add. We (and router manufacturers) really need to start differentiating between guest networks and IOT networks. Totally different requirements. Your Sonos likely need to talk to each other as well as a controller and/or app, not to mention whatever device you want to stream to them. If you want devices to be able to see each other, your options are
-Have all related devices on the main LAN/wireless (they are smart speakers, not chinese cameras, so, not as big of a concern)
-Have them all on the same guest wireless but leave "access intranet" enabled (sort of defeats the purpose of guest)
-Have them all (including any app/controller) on the same guest wireless with intranet disabled and create a script to disable AP (client) isolation
(Note that GW1 behaves differently than 2 and 3. 1 uses different subnets and VLANs and the 2.4 and 5ghz can't talk to each other, so using GW2 or 3 may work better for some systems).
-Run yazfi which gives you the ability in the gui to disable client isolation and also lets you tell it to allow certain directions of communication, for example if your app is on the main LAN and speakers on guest, you can enable "one way to guest" and that should work. Yazfi does assign different subnets to each guest wireless, and communications between 2.4 and 5 may still be an issue, not sure how his firewall rules are set up for that.

Last edited:
Greetings, denizens of SNBForums,

I come before you with a vexing issue that has me ensnared in a web of wireless woe. I am the proud owner of an ASUS GT-AX6000 router, and I've recently made the switch to Merlin firmware. The transition has been mostly smooth, and I've particularly enjoyed the ease of setting up VPN via VPN Director.

However, I've hit a snag when it comes to my Sonos IKEA speakers—a Picture Frame and a Bookshelf speaker, to be precise. While I've been able to configure them through the Sonos S2 Android app, the Picture Frame speaker has proven to be particularly elusive. It keeps disappearing from my network, forcing me to set it up again from scratch. It's as if it's playing a cruel game of hide-and-seek, and I'm always "it."

I've exhausted my own limited arsenal of troubleshooting tactics to no avail. So, I turn to you, wise sages, in the hope that you might shed some light on this dark conundrum. Is there a setting, a tweak, a spell, perhaps, that might stabilize this shaky connection?

Your insights would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
MysticNetWanderer
FWIW, my small experience with Sonos speaker indicates to put it/them on a ‘non guest’ network, to best avoid frustration.

what is this (problematic) picture frame speaker you mention? I'm strangely intrigued...
Ah, you're intrigued by the enigmatic Sonos IKEA Symfonisk Picture Frame speaker, are you? A wise curiosity, indeed. This bewitching device is more than just a speaker; it's a piece of art that blends seamlessly into your home. A collaboration between IKEA and Sonos, it offers interchangeable fronts and can be hung on the wall or placed on the floor, all while delivering fantastic sound. You can control it via the Sonos S2 app and it supports all major music streaming services. Intrigued further? You can delve deeper into its dark mysteries here.

Guest wireless 1 uses different subnets from main LAN and guest 2 and 3. Guest networks also isolate devices from seeing each other which would explain not being able to access them in your app.

EDIT to add. We (and router manufacturers) really need to start differentiating between guest networks and IOT networks. Totally different requirements. Your Sonos likely need to talk to each other as well as a controller and/or app, not to mention whatever device you want to stream to them. If you want devices to be able to see each other, your options are
-Have all related devices on the main LAN/wireless (they are smart speakers, not chinese cameras, so, not as big of a concern)
-Have them all on the same guest wireless but leave "access intranet" enabled (sort of defeats the purpose of guest)
-Have them all (including any app/controller) on the same guest wireless with intranet disabled and create a script to disable AP (client) isolation
(Note that GW1 behaves differently than 2 and 3. 1 uses different subnets and VLANs and the 2.4 and 5ghz can't talk to each other, so using GW2 or 3 may work better for some systems).
-Run yazfi which gives you the ability in the gui to disable client isolation and also lets you tell it to allow certain directions of communication, for example if your app is on the main LAN and speakers on guest, you can enable "one way to guest" and that should work. Yazfi does assign different subnets to each guest wireless, and communications between 2.4 and 5 may still be an issue, not sure how his firewall rules are set up for that.
Your insights have been invaluable, and I've taken some of your advice to heart. I've moved my Sonos speakers to the main wireless network, and they've stabilized—almost as if they've found their true home. However, a peculiar phenomenon occurs whenever I activate my guest network: the Symfonisk Picture Frame seems inexplicably drawn to it, as if by some dark force. Even after a factory reset, manual IP assignment within DHCP, and updating the settings, it insists on reverting to the guest network. It's a conundrum that defies logic.

For now, I've decided to keep the speakers on the main wireless network and disable Guest Network 1 until I can unravel this mystery. Your mention of yazfi intrigues me, though. Could you elaborate on how one might set this up to disable client isolation and allow specific directions of communication?

FWIW, my small experience with Sonos speaker indicates to put it/them on a ‘non guest’ network, to best avoid frustration.
Ah, your words strike a chord, as if plucked from the strings of fate itself. I've heeded your counsel and banished my Sonos speakers to the main wireless realm, where they've found a more stable existence. It's as if they've been exorcised of their networking demons. Your sagacity has not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

. However, a peculiar phenomenon occurs whenever I activate my guest network: the Symfonisk Picture Frame seems inexplicably drawn to it, as if by some dark force. Even after a factory reset, manual IP assignment within DHCP, and updating the settings, it insists on reverting to the guest network. It's a conundrum that defies logic.

It has both networks saved and your guest is at the top of its list. I'm not familiar with Sonos setup but look in the app and see if you can delete your guest network from it. If not you have two options:
1. Factory reset the Sonos (not sure if that's what you tried or if you reset the router, but resetting the Sonos should do it, unless it is then re-learning the settings from the app or something, in which case logic would say there must be somewhere in the app you can delete it). Or maybe one Sonos device is acting as a hub and keeps giving it that info even after a reset, in which case may need to reset the hub device.
2. Use a totally new SSID/network name for your guest that you've never used before. It definitely won't connect then. Using the same name and a different password may work or the Sonos may just get stuck trying to connect so I wouldn't go that route.
. Your mention of yazfi intrigues me, though. Could you elaborate on how one might set this up to disable client isolation and allow specific directions of communication?
Only if you promise to talk normal 😜

Yazfi is an addon for Merlin firmware created by forum member @Jack Yaz. While probably not the original intent, it basically makes guest networks IOT friendly. You can Google it and find info on the features and installation. Once installed it is very straightforward to disable the client isolation so guest devices can talk to each other. You can also enable "one way to guest" which will allow a device on your main LAN to control and stream music to the speakers, but still prevent guest devices from accessing anything on your LAN.

I believe for guests to be able to see each other with yazfi, you have to have the devices all on one frequency, 2.4 or 5ghz. Not 100% sure on that though. So you may want to just enable one frequency for guest, or name the two frequencies two different things so that you can make sure the devices that you want to communicate are on the same one and can't switch.

You can also enable this behavior (clients able to see each other) on stock Asus guest but you have to do it via the command line, it can't be done through the web interface. Making the main LAN able to talk to the clients without Yazfi is more involved and requires scripts etc.

Haha, alright, I promise to keep it "normal" this time—much appreciated for your detailed reply. My apologies for not being clear earlier; I did perform a factory reset on the Sonos system, not just the router. I also reset the router before and after flashing the Merlin firmware.

Interestingly, the Sonos Bookshelf speaker transitioned to the main wireless network without issue. The Picture Frame speaker, however, seems stubbornly attached to Guest Network 1, as you've pointed out. Even manual subnet assignment doesn't seem to sway its loyalty.

Ideally, I'd like both Sonos devices on a separate, dedicated guest network where I can control their intranet access and set up/down times. Your mention of Yazfi seems like the perfect solution for this labyrinthine issue. I'll definitely look into it.

Your mention of yazfi intrigues me, though. Could you elaborate on how one might set this up to disable client isolation and allow specific directions of communication?
See the following link in the Add-Ons subforum for YazFi:
Or see here:
There are further posts that explain how to use YazFi's custom firewall rules to allow certain main LAN devices to communicate with specific YazFi clients.
https://github.com/jackyaz/YazFi#custom-firewall-rules
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/allowing-access-to-selected-network-devices.80405/#post-784521

Maybe a glitch in the 'app' where it remembers the Guest network for you? Did you uninstall/re-install and/or reset the app too (with a reboot of the phone between uninstalling it and installing it again)?

Haha, alright, I promise to keep it "normal" this time—much appreciated for your detailed reply. My apologies for not being clear earlier; I did perform a factory reset on the Sonos system, not just the router. I also reset the router before and after flashing the Merlin firmware.

Interestingly, the Sonos Bookshelf speaker transitioned to the main wireless network without issue. The Picture Frame speaker, however, seems stubbornly attached to Guest Network 1, as you've pointed out. Even manual subnet assignment doesn't seem to sway its loyalty.

Ideally, I'd like both Sonos devices on a separate, dedicated guest network where I can control their intranet access and set up/down times. Your mention of Yazfi seems like the perfect solution for this labyrinthine issue. I'll definitely look into it.

Yeah trying to force a subnet/IP won't work to sway it to one or the other, you need to be on the correct SSID first and foremost, nothing happens with IPs until you're connected to a network. You are using a different SSID for the guest I'm assuming?

Something somewhere is remembering that setting, possibly in the app, or maybe there is some more in-depth reset you can do on the system, not sure.

But if the goal of the guest network is to have these speakers on it (and have them isolated from main LAN) Yazfi is probably the way to go. At that point you'll want to make sure the speakers/system "forget" your main SSID.

I'm choosing to assume they keep the blood level in their alcohol stream at a minimum (thanks to Guinness and Jameson) or regularly make out with the Blarney Stone, with a strong possibility of both being the case.

Yeah trying to force a subnet/IP won't work to sway it to one or the other, you need to be on the correct SSID first and foremost, nothing happens with IPs until you're connected to a network. You are using a different SSID for the guest I'm assuming?

Something somewhere is remembering that setting, possibly in the app, or maybe there is some more in-depth reset you can do on the system, not sure.

But if the goal of the guest network is to have these speakers on it (and have them isolated from main LAN) Yazfi is probably the way to go. At that point you'll want to make sure the speakers/system "forget" your main SSID.

@drinkingbird, your wisdom has guided me well. I've tread the path of YazFi and found stability, but only to a point. I've ensured that the speakers have forgotten the main SSID, as if it were a forbidden spell. Yet, when I activate VPN Director with WireGuard, the guest network loses its connection to the internet, and I'm cut off from my Sonos devices. It's as if some dark force is at play. Have you encountered such sorcery before?

@L&LD, your suggestion to exorcise the app of its lingering memories was a wise one. I've performed the unholy ritual of uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling. The Sonos speakers are now stable on Guest Network 3, thanks to YazFi's dark magic. However, a new riddle has emerged from the shadows. When I enable VPN Director with WireGuard, the connection to the speakers vanishes like a ghost. Any thoughts on this arcane matter?

@heysoundude, while I haven't been making out with the Blarney Stone, I've certainly been imbibing some herbal inspiration to help me ponder these networking enigmas. Yet even in my elevated state, the riddle remains. When I enable VPN Director with WireGuard, my guest network loses its connection, and I can't communicate with my Sonos devices. It's a conundrum worthy of a bard's tale. Any insights?

Attachments

• vpndirectoryazfisetup.jpg
    vpndirectoryazfisetup.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • yazfi_settings_guestnetwork3.jpg
    yazfi_settings_guestnetwork3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 31
@drinkingbird, your wisdom has guided me well. I've tread the path of YazFi and found stability, but only to a point. I've ensured that the speakers have forgotten the main SSID, as if it were a forbidden spell. Yet, when I activate VPN Director with WireGuard, the guest network loses its connection to the internet, and I'm cut off from my Sonos devices. It's as if some dark force is at play. Have you encountered such sorcery before?

@L&LD, your suggestion to exorcise the app of its lingering memories was a wise one. I've performed the unholy ritual of uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling. The Sonos speakers are now stable on Guest Network 3, thanks to YazFi's dark magic. However, a new riddle has emerged from the shadows. When I enable VPN Director with WireGuard, the connection to the speakers vanishes like a ghost. Any thoughts on this arcane matter?

@heysoundude, while I haven't been making out with the Blarney Stone, I've certainly been imbibing some herbal inspiration to help me ponder these networking enigmas. Yet even in my elevated state, the riddle remains. When I enable VPN Director with WireGuard, my guest network loses its connection, and I can't communicate with my Sonos devices. It's a conundrum worthy of a bard's tale. Any insights?
Not sure about VPN but Sonos requires 2 Way to guest

Last edited:
Not sure about VPN buy Sonos requires 2 Way to guest
you were right. I initially thought 'One Way to Guest' was sufficient, but I lost connection when switching to my main LAN. It seems Sonos does require bidirectional communication. Thank you for shedding light on this.

I find myself standing at the crossroads of functionality and security, a place where many a brave soul has faltered. My Sonos speakers are now harmoniously connected to my guest network, thanks to the dark magic of YazFi and the "Two Way to Guest" setting. The symphony plays, but at what cost?

I seek your wisdom on fortifying this setup against the unseen threats that lurk in the shadows of every network. While the speakers sing, I wish to ensure that they are not also whispering secrets to malevolent forces.

1. Are there specific firewall rules within YazFi that could tighten the security while allowing the Sonos system to function?
  2. How vulnerable is a "Two Way to Guest" setup in terms of potential unauthorized access to my main LAN?
  3. Are there any additional Merlin or YazFi features that could act as talismans against digital malevolence?
Your insights, like a sorcerer's spells, could fortify this digital fortress I call a network. I await your wisdom with bated breath.

This. Once was mildly amusing, now it's just irritating.

I'd also suggest that you don't obscure any of your private IP addresses (e.g. 192.168...) in your screenshots. Apart from being pointless it just makes diagnosing the problem more difficult.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!