What's new

Trying to monitor websites visited but VPN being used.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yafandas

New Around Here
I have CenturyLink for internet and using their modem which is a Zyxel C4000LZ. I’m not looking to block content I’m just wanting to see websites are visited. I enabled website history but VPN’s are being used by the device I assume because what’s listed as sites visited aren’t actual websites. So I need some help. I don't know much about this sort of thing but do know how to navigate the router page. I guess I need to figure out a way to redirect the devices using VPN's to something like OpenDNS or NextDNS? The picture is showing the settings it appears I have access to. The reason I need to be able to see what sites are being visited undetected is personal but I'm willing to disclose why because it's that important for me to achieve this. My ex and I have a child together and own a residence together. He's in a different dwelling than my child and I on the property but it's the same internet. The reason I need to see what's going on is that I've been given information from a reputable source that he may flee with my child. I'd track him by phone if I could but that's not legal. Local law enforcement can't do anything till a crime is committed. I'm just trying to do what I can to stay ahead of him. I know this is off the wall crazy but as a mother of a small child I have to do something about. He has no custodial rights and has little to nothing to do with our child.

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 67
If they are using VPN software (e.g. NordVPN, etc.) that's installed on their devices then there's nothing you can do (apart from possibly blocking all VPN traffic). You cannot intercept or monitor their DNS traffic because it, along with all their other traffic, will be encrypted and encapsulated on their device. There is no way for the router to see "inside" this encrypted traffic. That's the whole point of using a VPN, to prevent other people monitoring your traffic. Sorry.

You said "what’s listed as sites visited aren’t actual websites". Can you show us some examples of what you're seeing? It might prompt some other ideas.

This is how they appear. Like I said I'm not sure what I'm doing exactly.

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpeg
    IMG_3435.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 57
That appears to all be legitimate traffic, typically from Google and/or Amazon devices. e.g. Android phones, Amazon Echo's, etc.

lol see I'm clue. I copy and paste and I know it's not the actual content being viewed.

Even if they're not using a VPN, attempting to monitor at the network level is a full-time job, as you can see there is tons of meaningless chatter that just happens all the time. They make software you can put on a PC for that sort of thing, or you can use parental controls in a router that supports it to restrict access.

The reason I need to see what's going on is that I've been given information from a reputable source that he may flee with my child. I'd track him by phone if I could but that's not legal. Local law enforcement can't do anything till a crime is committed. I'm just trying to do what I can to stay ahead of him. I know this is off the wall crazy but as a mother of a small child I have to do something about. He has no custodial rights and has little to nothing to do with our child.

Well... tech isn't going to help here...

You need to go get a lawyer, as this is a legal situation, and get a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) against the other party - once that is in place, then the local PD can do something about it.

Well... tech isn't going to help here...

You need to go get a lawyer, as this is a legal situation, and get a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) against the other party - once that is in place, then the local PD can do something about it.

I didn't even notice that part of the OP. Unfortunately TROs can be difficult to get (and somewhat useless too), depending on the juristiction.

@Yafandas

Rather than trying to monitor internet, I'd be putting GPS trackers on the cars, airtags or other trackers in the child's backpacks or anything else they might take with them (maybe even in the shoes), etc.

For safety's sake, get off the property and go somewhere he doesn't know about. Or at the very least change all the locks, possibly get an inexpensive security system, security cameras, etc.

Your child's phone (if they have one) you can install trackers on, and honestly, if he does take the kid, not many are going to be worrying about the fact that you put some hidden tracking software (or hacked his find my phone feature) on the Ex's phone. The police DO have the ability to track his phone if he does in fact take the child (assuming he has it powered on, but can't necessarily make that assumption).

Though nobody here is qualified to give you any advice for your situation unfortunately. All we can say is unfortunately trying to track his web traffic at the network level is a waste of time.

I have CenturyLink for internet and using their modem which is a Zyxel C4000LZ. I’m not looking to block content I’m just wanting to see websites are visited. I enabled website history but VPN’s are being used by the device I assume because what’s listed as sites visited aren’t actual websites. So I need some help. I don't know much about this sort of thing but do know how to navigate the router page. I guess I need to figure out a way to redirect the devices using VPN's to something like OpenDNS or NextDNS? The picture is showing the settings it appears I have access to. The reason I need to be able to see what sites are being visited undetected is personal but I'm willing to disclose why because it's that important for me to achieve this. My ex and I have a child together and own a residence together. He's in a different dwelling than my child and I on the property but it's the same internet. The reason I need to see what's going on is that I've been given information from a reputable source that he may flee with my child. I'd track him by phone if I could but that's not legal. Local law enforcement can't do anything till a crime is committed. I'm just trying to do what I can to stay ahead of him. I know this is off the wall crazy but as a mother of a small child I have to do something about. He has no custodial rights and has little to nothing to do with our child.
I deleted it.

Last edited: