What's new

Trying to Understand AP Isolate

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WifiGhost

Regular Contributor
I am having some issues connecting to a printer on my 2.4 network. I cam across a post about ap isolate which I thought was disabled per the web gui. The post had a command to run and my guess wifi shows:

ap_isolate=1

which is fine as I want that separated, but when I check the main 2.4 and 5Ghz Wifi's I get "1" which I am guessing since above shows ap_isolate=1 for my guest net the 2 main wifi's are also in isolate mode even though it is unchecked in the web gui.( i can post a screen shot if requested ) I can ping the printer no problem, just not actually connect to it.

Am I understanding this correctly? Below is the command I used per the other post to check 2.4 and 5Ghz, as I chose to have them separated by freq when first setting it up and switching to AP mode, but did not enable AP isolate.

wl -i eth# ap_isolate

I'm not sure why you're investigating nvram to determine if AP isolation is or isn't enabled. All that matters is what you find empirically, by attempting to access wireless clients connected to the same AP. Also, it wasn't clear whether the printer is wired or wireless. Be aware that AP isolation does NOT have any effect on access to wired devices.

P.S. If the printer *is* wireless, I assume you have other wireless devices w/ which to verify AP isolation is or isn't working.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're investigating nvram to determine if AP isolation is or isn't enabled. All that matters is what you find empirically, by attempting to access wireless clients connected to the same AP. Also, it wasn't clear whether the printer is wired or wireless. Be aware that AP isolation does NOT have any effect on access to wired devices.

P.S. If the printer *is* wireless, I assume you have other wireless devices w/ which to verify AP isolation is or isn't working.
if you notice the part in my OP that says "printer on my 2.4 network"

here is the post I found showing how to check ap isolate which is why I checked NVRAM

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!