What's new

TUF-AX5400 assign strange IP address via DHCP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

olivam

Occasional Visitor
I have encountered a strange behaviour. My router TUF-AX5400 is operating 192.168.50.0 network. I use manual DHCP for all my known clients. Surprisingly, one client gets assigned a different IP and even out of the different network (in fact 192.168.101.248). Details can be seen in the screenshot. Does anybody has an idea why and how to solve it, please?

Attachments

• ASUS_IP.jpg
    ASUS_IP.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 55
That's normal. The client is connected to guest network #1 on 2.4GHz.
Hello, thanks for reaction. I do not think it is normal. The IP address should be out of the 192.168.50.0 network. An if I have a look at the guest networks all the clients have addresses out of the 192.168.50.0 network see the screenshot plse. How come the IP address 192.168.101.248 is possible to be assigned by the router as long as it is configured for 50 network?

Attachments

• ASUS_IP2.jpg
    ASUS_IP2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 52
Yes it is normal. This is widely discussed in these forums. The first (leftmost) guest network each each band have their own subnet (192.168.101.x and 192.168.102x). The other two guest networks on each band do not have their own subnet and will get a normal LAN address, e.g. 192.168.50.x.

The reason for this difference is to allow the first guest network on each band to be propagated to AiMesh nodes.

OK, if it is so, how come a client in the 1st guest network has 192.168.50.53 ? Following your explanation is has to be either 192.168.101.x or 102.x, right?

OK, if it is so, how come a client in the 1st guest network has 192.168.50.53 ? Following your explanation is has to be either 192.168.101.x or 102.x, right?
I think you're looking at the Network Map Client List? This has been famously unreliable for years (again, widely discussed in these forums) and frequently gets confused when a client has changed it's IP address. My guess is this is the reason. The only reliable way of determining a client's IP address is to look on the client itself or look at the Wireless Log.

Yes, you are right! Currently, I can see 192.168.50.53 in the Network Map - client list whereas 192.168.102.53 is shown in the DHCP leases. At least the very last number is the same. Is it a rule?

At least the very last number is the same. Is it a rule?
The number is assigned pseudo-randomly based on the client's MAC address, the size of the DHCP pool, and what addresses have already been assigned. What this means is that the last number is often the same but it's not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Yes it is normal. This is widely discussed in these forums. The first (leftmost) guest network each each band have their own subnet (192.168.101.x and 192.168.102x). The other two guest networks on each band do not have their own subnet and will get a normal LAN address, e.g. 192.168.50.x.

The reason for this difference is to allow the first guest network on each band to be propagated to AiMesh nodes.
Speaking about guest networks propagation to AiMesh nodes: I have just ended up finding out my RP-AC55 incapable of that. It does not propagate any guest network 🤦‍♂️

Speaking about guest networks propagation to AiMesh nodes: I have just ended up finding out my RP-AC55 incapable of that. It does not propagate any guest network 🤦‍♂️

If it doesn't support Aimesh and/or 386.x firmware, then it won't support that new feature (which requires 386 or 388 code base to work).

If you don't want to see that other subnet, you can use Guest Wireless 2 or 3 which use your main LAN subnet instead of the new 192.168.101 and 192.168.102 subnets. Those also do not propagate to nodes even if the nodes support it.

If this repeater is running 384 firmware with AiMesh 1.0 - no GN propagation to nodes.

There is no AiMesh support listed on Asus website for this product and I can't see any firmware for it.

Edit: I see it now on Asus Global website:

1685220322895.png

But still, no GNs propagation. Only main 2 GHz and 5 GHz networks are propagated.
As mentioned in my previous post, if it doesn't support Aimesh and/or 386.x firmware, then it won't support that new feature (which requires 386 or 388 code base to work).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!