What's new

[TUTORIAL]CHEROKEE web server through optware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry.May be latter?
Tried Cookbook but have not yet obtained for me :confused:
OK wait.
Thank you for Cherokee tutor!

can not enable PHP support

in Putty
I type "cherokee-admin -b" but....

admin@RT-N16:/tmp/home/root# cherokee-admin -b
env: can't execute 'python': No such file or directory
ERROR: Couldn't find python.
admin@RT-N16:/tmp/home/root#

If you don't have another packages installed is better to remove optware
Code:
rm -rf /mnt/sda1/asusware
and start installing from beginning

after forward port (8008 > 80) cherokee web server work!
but i can't connect to my router (Merlin's firmware)
Can i change other port to config my router? or how to fix it?

Go to general settings in cherokee admin cpanel and change the port 8008, dunno why you cannot access the router because default port is 8080, try rebooting the router.

Complete Webserver

Hi,

I followed your tutorial for the cherokee webserver with PHP support and everything worked perfect. I installed it on an external USB thumbdrive on my ASUS RT-N66U Router.

However, I really want to make the webserver usable as a development platform for my projects, which means that I also need a FTP-Server to be able to upload files to the webserver and I need a MySQL-Server, too. Everything should work within my home network.

I tried to install ipkg files (proftpd, mysql5, phpmyadmin) but I get some errors and I don't know how to setup everything. E.g. the ftp-server: how can I tell him the path to the cherokee webserver /www directory? How can I create a username and password for ftp? How do I finally connect? The same goes for the MySQL-Server...

Do you have any suggestions how to achieve that? Do you know any good tutorials?

I have to admit, I don't know too much about Linux and anyones help would be appreciated!

Regards,

paelzersebbi

Can't access cherokee admin

I have cherokee running fine as per your instructions.

All except I cannot access admin at all.

Using putty I log in with sash and after username and password I'm away.

I type cherokee-admin -b

I then get the one off password.

Carefully copy it using control c.

Using a browser, (tried 3) I then type http://192.168.1.1:9090

It asks for a username I use admin
And password which I now paste in.

It always fails to open the web page.
There is a problem........

What am I doing wrong?

I guess you are not copying right the password from terminal, select the pass with left click mouse and then right click to copy, try to paste on a blank txt file and see if password was copied correctly.

I guess you are not copying right the password from terminal, select the pass with left click mouse and then right click to copy, try to paste on a blank txt file and see if password was copied correctly.

Thanks. Turns out you were correct it was a problem using control c.

I can now enter admin.

Do you know what a realm is?

I'm trying to add authentication to a folder on the Cherokee server and it keeps insisting on a realm name but everything I try it says no to. I assume there is one correct answer to the realm name but no amount of Google or guessing will get me there.

If you know, I would be grateful if you would tell me.

Cheers,

Bob.

The permission issues happens usually with bad file system on linux like fat32, ntfs... How is yours formatted?

Must say first off how grateful I am for your time patience and help.

Cherokee is running on a data stick plugged into the back of an rt-n66u. It is formatted as ext2.

I'm so close to having my perfect intranet I would just like to password protect a couple of pages. These are just type .html and htm nothing more.

The intranet is in the directory
share/www/cherokee (/index.html)
The protected directory is in
share/www/cherokee/Hotlist/protect (/clients.htm)
I have added a behaviour set to match on /Hotlist/protect but I did also try just /protect.

I have the handler set to 'static content' and auth is 'fixed list' and is 'final'. I have given this rule top priority

Method is Basic.
Realm is cherokee. (A guess as I've no idea what a realm is and although the expression is used a lot in the notes it is never defined).
I have entered a user name and password pair.

It does not ask for a password and displays the page.

Really stumped.

Thanks again.

Bob.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!