What's new

Tweaking router for VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonte

New Around Here
What is your best setup for VPN to get the best speed possible?

I've already noticed the difference in speed between using the VPN-providers app compared to setting up the router with a VPN-connection (the latter being much slower for me), however having the router setup with a VPN seems much easier since all connected devices is then using an encrypted connection without having to hassle with a VPN-app on each device, at least for a home network.

I'm using Asus RT-AC68U with the Merlin firmware on a 100/100 connection. When using the VPN-app on my computer I got pretty much no speed loss (DHCP), while with the router setup with the VPN I got pretty much 10/10.

AC68 CPU is not fast enough to get you anywhere to 100, however depending your VPN provider, some improvements and optimization could be done.

Basically, if you want better performance, esp. anything close to what your ISP provides w/ your current plan, you either need a *much* more powerful router, or better yet, use a PC platform to support the OpenVPN client and route your clients through it (which is what I do).

What kind of a router are we talking about here to get close (or closer) to ISP speed? Any specific model you have in mind?

What kind of a router are we talking about here to get close (or closer) to ISP speed? Any specific model you have in mind?

ARM based routers w/ 1.4GHz processor or better. Of course, more will always be better. But you get to a point where you're investing so much $$ in the better router that you start to defeat the purpose for which the router was intended, namely, the cost savings of using a small, low-powered embedded device.

ARM based routers w/ 1.4GHz processor or better. Of course, more will always be better. But you get to a point where you're investing so much $$ in the better router that you start to defeat the purpose for which the router was intended, namely, the cost savings of using a small, low-powered embedded device.
So for example the AC86U would be an alternative in case of choosing this solution

Do you mind clarifying that in a "for dummies" language :D
I don't own a rt-ac68u (only a rt-n66u supported only in the john's fork) so can't take screenshots (that should replace like 1000 words).
The best advice here is to ask your VPN provider support for this option (chacha20-poly1305 cipher) and open a separate thread and I'm sure this community will help you out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!