What's new

Two ISP in same network, and choose whatever you like instantly (AX68u)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SwizItalo

Occasional Visitor
I have 2 ISPs, the main one is 600/600 and the other one is 150/15.
I always use main one but on sundays afternoon and night it becames laggy, with 120ms ping, but the second one stays sharp with 4ms.

So, is there a way that i can manually switch (instantly) from WAN 1 to WAN 2 when the internet quality get worse?
Failover mode only works with cutoff, or with higher ping too? Load balancing? What do you recommend?

I don’t remember if the GUI allows manual connection switching, but if you make your more stable connection as primary and turn this modem on only when needed - you may eventually achieve what you want.

This doesn’t work every well in Asuswrt @bbunge and not what he wants to achieve. It may make things worse.

I have 2 ISPs, the main one is 600/600 and the other one is 150/15.
I always use main one but on sundays afternoon and night it becames laggy, with 120ms ping, but the second one stays sharp with 4ms.

So, is there a way that i can manually switch (instantly) from WAN 1 to WAN 2 when the internet quality get worse?
Failover mode only works with cutoff, or with higher ping too? Load balancing? What do you recommend?

Put your primary ISP device on a smart outlet. "Alexa turn off main internet" (or use the app for the outlet).

Total outage is the only way to get dual WAN to fail over from what I've seen here. You could probably develop a script to monitor ping times and force a swap, but that would be fairly involved.

Put your primary ISP device on a smart outlet. "Alexa turn off main internet" (or use the app for the outlet).

Total outage is the only way to get dual WAN to fail over from what I've seen here. You could probably develop a script to monitor ping times and force a swap, but that would be fairly involved.
The alexa thing could be very handy. That would be in a Load balance or failover scenario?

Fail over with fail back. The issue - doesn’t work reliably in Asuswrt. Test your luck.

Before trying to do anything complex with multiple ISPs and routing failover, have you tried contacting the main ISP and letting them know that there are problems on Sundays and asked them to investigate & fix the issue?

That seems to be the real root cause of the problem.

Before trying to do anything complex with multiple ISPs and routing failover, have you tried contacting the main ISP and letting them know that there are problems on Sundays and asked them to investigate & fix the issue?

That seems to be the real root cause of the problem.
Of course, support is zero.

This doesn’t work every well in Asuswrt @bbunge and not what he wants to achieve. It may make things worse.
Well,it may work well enough to suit his needs. And it is a no cost option if it works just enough.

Load balancing won’t change anything in regards of latency. Just different connections will go through worse speed and worse latency links and they’ll rotate constantly. Not sure the final result will be an improvement. The best solution is fixing the primary WAN situation.

Well,it may work well enough to suit his needs. And it is a no cost option if it works just enough.
In the case of load balance i read somewhere that it may harm the port forwarding and ddns? And that it is important to me

This is correct. You’ll have 2x WAN IPs. I’m not sure if QoS works with Dual WAN active as well.

Ok, i'm figuring out this, thanks to your help.
Now i'm trying to manually switch between WANs and can't find the right button in the app. I tryed in the asus app "settings/wan/dual wan" and there are listed the 2 WANs but without further options, any idea?

Fail over with fail back. The issue - doesn’t work reliably in Asuswrt. Test your luck.

I believe the issue is usually with fail back? In which case may need 2 smart plugs and a routine to bring up the primary and bounce the secondary for fail back. It seems that it works with hard down port from what I've seen here. But there is a script floating around to fix that, if OP is willing to run Merlin with a script.

Obviously getting the primary connection fixed is the right solution, sounds like the ISP has congestion and doesn't seem to care though.....

Ok, i'm figuring out this, thanks to your help.
Now i'm trying to manually switch between WANs and can't find the right button in the app. I tryed in the asus app "settings/wan/dual wan" and there are listed the 2 WANs but without further options, any idea?

The app is pretty basic and there are even some security concerns with it. Try checking the standard web GUI and see if it lets you. I know with single WAN you can toggle it on and off, not sure about dual.

Ok, manually switching off primary wan won't switch to secondary wan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230918_170221_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20230918_170221_Chrome.png
    192.3 KB · Views: 20
Manually unplug the cable then, don't be lazy. :)

By the way, I lived close to Switzerland/Italy border some period of my life, SwitzItalo.

When I had a primary (personal) and a secondary (work) ISP, I just setup both routers in the same subnet (with unique IP addresses of course). I would then just switch my default gateway to whichever one I wanted to use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!