What's new

Two routers in serial: unstable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tokyo_networking

Regular Contributor
My provider is requiring to use a Huawei router which has a built-in fiber ONU. As a longtime Asus user, the router is just ........ (fill in your favorite word). So I decided to add an ASUS in the middle. The setup is very simple, the ASUS WAN port connects to the provider's router LAN port on se a separate network segment. My home network connects to the ASUS LAN ports or WLAN. The ASUS WAN port has a static IP assigned on that network segment.

Seems utterly simple, but since then both Fingbox (wired) and Ring (wireless) have been complaining they are loosing connection to the Internet. I have not not noticed any other Internet and my latency is in the low miliseconds and download speed exceeds 500 Mbps.

Any suggestions on what the cause could be and how to troubleshoot?

I am not that familiar with DMZ. I can see that I can add IP addresses to the Huawei DMZ configuration. I should add the Asus WAN IP address to the Huawei DMZ configuration?

P.S. I assumed that configuring DMZ would involve designating one LAN as a DMZ network. Not that I can see such a configuration.

Attachments

• Huawei HG8045Q DMZ Configuration.PNG
    Huawei HG8045Q DMZ Configuration.PNG
    191.3 KB · Views: 124
Your Asus router has a reserved IP address on Huawei router. Put this address in DMZ host field, Apply, reboot the Huawei router. DMZ exposes the host to Internet, saving you port forwarding on two routers. It's often used as workaround when the ISP equipment doesn't have bridge mode.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have set up the WAN address of the ASUS router in the DMZ host field of the Huawei router and rebooted the Huawei router. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. Both the Fingbox and Ring still are reporting disconnections.

Surprisingly, the web cameras I expected to have problems with accessing remotely, are still accessible remotely. The Huawei has UPnP rules for them. Have not been able to UPnP rules on the Asus router. Are the UPnP rules on Huawei responsible for the cameras still working? Where would I find the UPnP rules on the Asus router?

Any idea how I can debug the issue with the Fingbox and Ring?

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Where would I find the UPnP rules on the Asus router?

In WAN, Internet Connection - UPnP enable/disable setting. In System Log, Port Forwarding - what is currently used.

Any idea how I can debug the issue with the Fingbox and Ring?

I don't use any of those products, but I see they require some ports open. Do they work properly when directly connected to the ISP router?

UPnP on ASUS is enabled. When a device creates port forwarding rules on the ASUS router using UPnP, where would they show?

Attachments

• ASUS UPnP.PNG
    ASUS UPnP.PNG
    361 KB · Views: 95

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!