What's new

Ubiquiti AC Pro and AC Lite Access Points Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I should update this since early on I was asking about using the UniFi gear.

I had a brief fling with Orbi (rbr50 and 2x rbs50) over Christmas break. I ran them in wired backhaul mode, which negated the extra wireless backhaul channel Orbi provides. It worked very well for my 2 story 2400sf house. But one day it just died (about 2 weeks in).

No access to the orbilogin page or the debug page, but connect direct to the modem and I was instantly back online. I just didn’t have a LAN.

Much later on, the Orbi system came back up on its on (having resisted power cycles, etc). But I was already gathering my old gear to put back in place and did so, not feeling any warm fuzzies from Orbi with that random failure, and backed by the knowledge that NG was struggling with getting a stable firmware out the door.

I returned the Orbi and early in January, bought a UniFi USG, ac-lite and ac-Pro and have been enjoying a stable WiFi environment since. I think the Orbi probably could outperform the UniFi gear, but if it isn’t reliable, what good is it?

I have since stumbled into a super deal for an ac-hd and have one coming in. I’m going from overkill to total overkill in the WiFi department. But that’s ok. ;j

Next up I’m waiting for the gen 2 cloud key to become available. I’ve become addicted to the data and stats the controller provides and am looking to offload the service from my 24/7 pc. I don’t like losing my data when I need to do routine pc maintenance.

And then there are always the poe switches so I can learn about vlans, etc.

Does it ever end? (I hope not!)

Next up I’m waiting for the gen 2 cloud key to become available. I’ve become addicted to the data and stats the controller provides and am looking to offload the service from my 24/7 pc. I don’t like losing my data when I need to do routine pc maintenance.

Sorry for the offtopic, but do you have any info on this Gen 2 model? I assume the current one is Gen 1? I'm looking at getting a Unifi switch and UAP setup, but the issues with cloudkeys losing config on power losses has put me off getting a cloudkey for now, so quite interested if there is a new version coming...

dfs yes, 160mhz is temporary disabled pending aproval from authorities in the usa.

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

Lol. I had to go back and look because I know I saw the 160 MHz option when I setup my AC-HD the other day. But it appears the update took that option away!

Lol. I had to go back and look because I know I saw the 160 MHz option when I setup my AC-HD the other day. But it appears the update took that option away!
while the option was there, it never worked, and defaulted back to 80

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

Ok I see now, the old one had a smaller storage and micro-usb port, the newer had more at 16GB and a usb-c port:
https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/New-Cloud-Key-version/td-p/2117090
I also have a ups but do have outages longer than it's runtime.
If I did get a cloud-key I'd be tempted to additionally run it off a USB power pack connected via charger to the UPS for additional time.

Here's the thread on the new version of the CK I was looking for:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...t-and-has-lots-of-storage/m-p/2287654#M285754

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!