What's new

Ubiquiti AC Pro and AC Lite Access Points Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Had the oposite experience with my ac-pro's, in my case with much much more expensive motorola ap6532.
Thing with unifi is though that things vary depending on firmware you run, the latest is not always the greatest.

Then again , uplinking ap's does give one much better coverage than 1 base station ever could

Their current beta controller, also seems to solve a lot of roaming stuff....
To be fair upgrading to AC anything from old N APs is most likely going to show an improvement, even for old N clients as shown by tests here.

The tests here and on other sites like Ars show they are nothing special in terms of range and speed. If you need to deploy many APs the management features are nice and of course the form factor is much better for ceiling mount than traditional routers.

Not knocking on ubiquiti as I’ve been using an edge router for a year without issues. I’ve just seen Unifi APs being recommended as some kind of panacea when in reality they aren’t the best solution in all scenarios.

I previously used the Asus RT-AC66U, RT-AC87U and RT-AC68U, Which are great routers which have fast WiFi however not great when needing multiple access points. Unfortunately, because there is no controller or roaming support you will experience some weird stability issues with WiFi.

So i started investigating roaming and mesh, i soon figured out that Mesh is nice but Wired Accespoints which support Roaming are superior. Ubiquiti seems to be the best choice in my opinion because of their support, regular security and feature updates and easy management plus its possible to control all UniFi Network products from one interface.

Currently i own the UniFi AC AP Lite, since HD & Pro offer me no benefits in my situation. All my AC clients are either 1x1 or 2x2, support for MU-MIMO is almost non-existent and essential hardware is connected via wire.

I can say without any doubt that this is by far the best wireless experience i've ever had, WiFi is now super stable, continuously fast and perfect seamless roaming. I do not regret buying these units at all.

If i had to name one downside, there is no manual band steering feature sometimes clients use 2.4Ghz too long before switching to 5Ghz.

I also bought the ER-Lite which i loved featurewise but was too slow with DPI & QoS enabled i got arround 130-140Mbps tops instead of 400Mbps, if you do not use these features then you're fine. If you do consider waiting for the ER4 or UniFi equivalent to become available. So for the time being i'm using my AC87u as Router.

Last edited:
Band steering is disabled by default, Did you enable advanced options under site? that allows the option to be enabled under configuration once done.

I previously used the Asus RT-AC66U, RT-AC87U and RT-AC68U, Which are great routers which have fast WiFi however not great when needing multiple access points. Unfortunately, because there is no controller or roaming support you will experience some weird stability issues with WiFi.

So i started investigating roaming and mesh, i soon figured out that Mesh is nice but Wired Accespoints which support Roaming are superior. Ubiquiti seems to be the best choice in my opinion because of their support, regular security and feature updates and easy management plus its possible to control all UniFi Network products from one interface.

Currently i own the UniFi AC AP Lite, since HD & Pro offer me no benefits in my situation. All my AC clients are either 1x1 or 2x2, support for MU-MIMO is almost non-existent and essential hardware is connected via wire.

I can say without any doubt that this is by far the best wireless experience i've ever had, WiFi is now super stable, continuously fast and perfect seamless roaming. I do not regret buying these units at all.

If i had to name one downside, there is no manual band steering feature sometimes clients use 2.4Ghz too long before switching to 5Ghz.

I also bought the ER-Lite which i loved featurewise but was too slow with DPI & QoS enabled i got arround 130-170Mbps instead of 400Mbps, if you do not use these features then you're fine. If you do consider waiting for the ER4 or UniFi equivalent to become available. So for the time being i'm using my AC87u as Router.

How the heck did you get that much throughput out of a ERL with QoS? Never heard of anyone getting anything close to that, more like 65-85 mbps tops. The ER-X can do close to what you say you got with QoS on, but the ERL.....nope never seen anyone report that much.

@DanH
I just enabled "Smart Queue" did nothing else, i made an error btw it was 140Mbps tops, i tested it towards a Operators Fiber connection, KPN.

@VisionxOrb
Yes, but it's not possible to tell it to only force certain devices to use 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, its either balanced or force 5Ghz capable devices to use 5Ghz.

So for the time being i'm having separate SSID's for both bands.

As one shopping to replace my RT-AC56U router wired to an RT-N66U AP and struggling with having multiple SSIDs due to lack of roaming capability, the thought of having to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz radios is a bit concerning.

Well, I just ordered a UAP-AC-PRO because the best place as far as I can tell to place a single AP in my house is on the ceiling in the central dining room. I can't get my Asus RT-AC68U in any one optimal spot but I can a ceiling mounted AP.
Seeing as these don't necessarily have as good of range, I hope this isn't a mistake. I always avoided multi-AP setups because I always had roaming problems with them, but I never used something like Ubiquity that's designed to handle multi-AP environments.
I'm hoping this placement will be the final solution to whole-house coverage WITH decent 5Ghz performance. I guess the backup plan is to add a few more Ubiquity APs, but at least I'll be in the Ubiquity ecosystem to do that going forward.
I'll try to follow up after I've had a chance to A/B test my Asus with the Ubiquity (single AP setup.)
I'm kind of excited to get out of the "consumer" wireless router hardware market. I feel like I'm constantly buying new wireless routers with hopes and expectations that it'll be "better" than what I had before only to find it's generally not. The RT-AC68U has been awesome for the most part and unless/until I switch to a Ubiquity or other router, I'll use the Asus with wireless off as my router for now. :)
My house is not that big, it's only about 1500sq ft roughly 40x40ft square but the walls can affect performance.

Last edited:
I'll be interested in your results and will follow your posts here. I plan to do the same thing with my RT-AC56U.

You will probably be better off starting with 2 AC PRO's, as opposed to one. I have 3 AC Pro's in a 1200sq ft home, and no issues with any devices roaming etc.

The important part is correct channel and TX power management. You don't run these AP's in auto power / channel mode. They aren't consumer wireless blasters. They need to be properly set up, or you will end up with a lack luster wireless experience. The lower the TX power output on all AP's, the better.

I have a bunch of idevices, (phones and ipads) a couple of laptops, and a couple of Samsung phones and wireless printer. All connected devices are always in the -40's to -50's dbm. I run all AP's in 5ghz, except one AP, which has 2.4ghz enabled on low power, for a wireless printer.

I would suggest getting a cloud key to manage your AP's, especially if you plan on setting up a guest network. Hopefully, the Asus supports VLAN's, otherwise for ease of configuration, pick up a Unifi USG, for a router, or a ERX, if you are comfortable with router configurations / CLI.

Thanks netwrks,
As I suspected, one AC-PRO will not replace the RT-AC68U. I had HOPED that because I could ceiling mount in the optimal place (that I cannot put a consumer router,) one AC-PRO would do, but indeed (as I was told) it is not as powerful as an ASUS and is not as good as a replacement. Let me be clear that I get usable coverage in almost all of the same places, but the throughput falls off pretty quickly when I go past more than one wall unlike with the Asus which is getting much higher performance at those places.

In addition to that, I have after market high gain antennas on the Asus router https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ0EN2A/?tag=snbforums-20 which make a profound difference in range, especially on 2.4 and almost annoyingly so. I can see my SSID half way down the street (even though it's not usable.) I really should turn down the 2.4 power (I'm gonna get on that.) Those antennas really do actually greatly help 5Ghz range as well which is really the only thing that needs help.
There's a tip, if anyone wants to boost the range on an Asus router, these antennas have served me well.
With the stock antennas, the coverage is a lot closer to the Ubiquiti but consumer blasters are what they are is still going to win.

So because of these massive antennas, it's not really a fair fight anyhow.
The Ubiquiti is not supposed to win, though. As Netwrks indicates, they are really designed for a lower power distributed network and indeed if I were to place 3 in my house, I'd probably have a minimum of 350Mbps 802.11ac on iDevices at every inch which sounds pretty awesome.
As it is now with the Asus, I get at least 150Mbps in the worst corners spots of the house after I moved it to a slightly better place (still not the best place) but 200-400Mbps in most areas, which is about the best you could ask for.
That being said, I've determined that due to the chicken wire in a formerly external wall (that's part of an add-on room) it's impossible to have one single best spot. That wall acts like an RF shield so no matter which side the AP is on, it's going to bet less than optimal on the other side and there's going to be a couple of rooms where it's just so-so. The ASUS is as close to that best spot as possible right now.

So goes the dilemma. I've invested $200 on a Ubiquit AC-PRO AP and cloud key. I either need to add at least one more AP (two will probably suffice) or go all the way to 3 and I'm done. I should never have to run these experiments again. If I stop at 2 I might end up placing them, then re-placing them again so why not just go to 3 and finish.

On the other side, I could stick with the consumer blaster. I mean, it's working. It's actually fine. I'm kind of fixing something that's not really broken. But being the nerd I am I'm obsessed with best performance especially since I got Gigabit Xfinity and want to squeek out every bit of performance I can.

The nice thing about one consumer blaster is this is that every few years I can drop $200-$300 and get the latest and greatest single piece of hardware, especially if I can use these high gain antennas. I was initially looking at the Asus 86U (which I don't even need.) If I ever want to upgrade the Ubiquity I'd probably want to upgrade all 3 APs at the same time and that sounds like 3x the cost but the APs are not really that expensive each. Right now I can get a AC-Pro locally for $125 and the 4x4 mimo model is prohibitively expensive at the moment but should be a lot cheaper in the future when and if it ever matters. I don't expect to have anything that does better than 2x2 MIMO for quite a while anyway.

So Ubiquiti's stuff is very nice and I want to go all-in. I love the idea of having the APs independent of the router (and might get Ubiquiti's router.) I'm just making sure I'm not sinking a bunch of money into something that's not necessary and essentially replaces something that pretty much already works.

I guess my plan is to put one in the hallway covering the bedrooms, one in that "add-on" room that I refer to as the "Faraday cage", and another near the front door near the entry way. That'll give me near perfect 5Ghz range to all areas.

In the past I had avoided multi-AP setups because it seemed like clients always hung on to the wrong one and dropped when roaming which is why I have two Asus RT-68Us, I had a dual set-up for a while that I abandoned. But the Ubiquity stuff is designed to be a multi-AP network and should not have that problem if I configure correctly.

Sorry for the long wordy post.
I think the conclusion is that I'm going to get two more Ubiquity AC-Pros to do a 3-AP installation. I like the idea of having 5Ghz APs distributed everywhere for max performance and this Ubiquiti hardware is pretty cool.

Final conclusion. Since there are really only two 80Mhz channels for 802.11ac, how do you configure 3? Just keep the power levels so they don't interfere too much and put the 3rd on the other channel?

Last edited:
I added the 3rd AC Pro, this past summer, to better fill my environment. I find 3 works best for my needs, (I like to keep the TX power down low, (phones, etc like that anyway, as it gets noisy for the small radios at around 18dbm - noise = disconnects) even outside, in the back yard, but I think I will add a UAP-AC-M this coming spring for out back, for a fuller wireless experience. The AC-M can run in AP mode, and is listed for indoor / outdoor. The AC Pro's are listed for outdoor also, but protected - like under an eave.

Regarding, 5 ghz channel selection, I use DFS, successfully. DFS is fully supported on the Unifi products, in most countries. There is no one around me using DFS channels, so it's clear sailing. The airport is far enough away, that I don't get bounced to a non-DFS channels. Certainly supported in North America.

Each Unifi AP has a utility called RF scan. Run that, when you are setting up you AC PRo's, so you can set your AP's, on channels, with the least amount of co-channel interference. I'm not sure about your Internet bandwidth, if you only have a couple hundred of Mbps Service, I would set the 5ghz channel width to 40 mhz.

At the end of the day, it's about what serves your environment best. A year a go I unplugged 3 NG R7000's, running 3rd party firmware, Plugged in the UNIFI gear, and haven't looked back..

If I were to replace my existing rt-ac56u router (and turn off WiFi) and my rt-n66u (configured as an AP), both running Merlin firmware, connected about 50-60 ft apart via cat 5e on either side of my house with a pair of UAP-AC-LITEs, how should I expect my WiFi / roaming capabilities to change?

I looked around on the Unifi forum - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/ct-p/UniFi and it looks like some people have asked about mixing with other vendors with Unifi, but I personally, have never mixed another vendor with Unifi. This is something you would have to experiment with. If you were to add a controller in the future, you may end up with the controller identifying the asus gear as rogue AP's..

I looked around on the Unifi forum - https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/ct-p/UniFi and it looks like some people have asked about mixing with other vendors with Unifi, but I personally, have never mixed another vendor with Unifi. This is something you would have to experiment with. If you were to add a controller in the future, you may end up with the controller identifying the asus gear as rogue AP's..

To be clear, I’m not asking about mixing WiFi hardware. The existing rt-ac56u would be the router (with WiFi disabled), and the pair of UAP-AC-LITEs would replace the WiFi currently provided by the rt-ac56u and the rt-n66u (running as an AP).

To be clear, I’m not asking about mixing WiFi hardware. The existing rt-ac56u would be the router (with WiFi disabled), and the pair of UAP-AC-LITEs would replace the WiFi currently provided by the rt-ac56u and the rt-n66u (running as an AP).

I would think that would be no issue. I use a ER-4 as my router, a Unifi Switch, and Orbi's as APs. The only disadvantage is you lose the single pane of glass interface to configure everything, and some unifi statistics.So i end up with a CK plugged into configure the switch (kind of overkill, but I still have a USG pro I might use again one day), use EdgeOS to conifgure the router, and the Orbi I configure with the web interface it has. Its not super convenient, but I dont change stuff very often.

Other than configuration from a common interface, how will changing to a couple AC Lites benefit my WiFi environment which currently has distinct SSIDs for each radio?

Last edited:
oqobaSD.png

Hi all, quick question on the LITE vs PRO. I noticed in the review that the throughput speeds were almost identical. See above as an example. How is this the case when the LITE is a 2x2 866Mhz and the PRO is supposed to be a 3x3 1300Mbps AP?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!