What's new

Ubiquiti discrete components?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bk_think

Occasional Visitor
My Asus RT-N66U/Merlin has been great, but is getting long in the tooth and I need better wifi coverage. Pretty much sold on discrete components, and Ubiquiti seems like a good choice. Looking for something well made and rock solid, with a bit a flexibility for the future (and not too tricky to setup).

Currently have a Motorola SB6141 modem, RT-N66U, a couple Netgear managed switches and Synology DS1513+ NAS in a home setting. The wifi deadspot at the far end of the house has two Cat5e ethernet lines. All the network gear is consolidated at the other end. Neighborhood is getting a bit crowded with signals. Current measured down/up service is 180/12 Mbps.

Trying to make sense of the Ubiquiti product line - UniFi, Edge, etc. Would the following be appropriate choices? Or would I be better served with the UniFi series??

- Modem = same/keep
- Router = EdgeMAX ER4
- Switch = EdgeSwitch8 with POE
- APs = UAP-AC-PRO or LR (likely two)

Appreciate any input and advice!

BK

Last edited:
I did more homework and I think I get it now; Edge vs. UniFi is mainly about device level vs. system level integration and control. UniFi can also take the "cloud key" unit. UniFi seems like a convenient GUI "ecosystem" with remote possibilities.

The UniFi USG router seems overdue for a makeover and maybe not a great choice for me?

BK

You can checkout Crosstalk Solutions on YouTube for very good information on Ubiquity products. He’s pretty technical, but his channel is like going to class. This is one on 2018 Ubiquity products. Hope this helps.

If your N66 is working fine as a router...keep it for now. Use the UniFi gear to take over WiFi duties. No need for UniFi switches either if you currently have functional switches....although you have to be aware of the PoE requirements of the UniFi devices....the newer part numbers do not included the PoE injectors.

My house is using UniFi for WiFi and I do have a single 8-port UniFi switch to power one of my APs. Routing duties is provided via a SophosXG box. However at my in-laws, they are using one of my old N66 boxes as just a router and then have a couple of UAP-AC-LR across the house providing WiFi services.

After much consideration and analysis paralysis, took delivery today:

- Router = EdgeMAX ER4
- AP = single UAP-AC-PRO + 48V PoE injector
- Switch = same/keep (Netgear 10GS8Tv1)
- Modem = same/keep (Motorola SB6141)

Will retire the N66 for backup duty or use it as an additional AP.

BK

Good call on the ER-4. Way better than a USG for its standalone capabilities as a router and traffice shaper.

Re- UniFi, it's primary strength is its integration up and down the network stack, so IMHO it looses its appeal when you start to use other product lines for route and switch. In your case, since it's a single AP, not such a big deal, but perhaps worth while considering for the future.

Trip, funny you should mention.....in a moment of "weakness" I also just purchased a USG-PRO and 150W 16-port POE+ switch (rackmount). Unless the rackmount full-stack disappoints, I plan to return the ER4. Ease of centralized management sucked me in. Anticipating a couple more APs and probably some cams, etc. In for a dime, in for a dollar....

BK

I don't really fault you for it. Interested to see how the single pane of glass plays out for you, and see how far UBNT has come with the USG's firmware.

Several days in and I'm VERY happy with the new setup. Not even a hiccup so far. The centralized management is great. Makes for easy tuning and measurement/monitoring. Can be a bit of work to hunt around for the options and learn the interface, and I do see where a hardcore expert or tinkerer might want more or in a different format, but for me I think it's a good fit. Definitely overkill for my basic setup. It would really shine as the network gets large and complex, or needs remote administration.

BK

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!