What's new

Ubuntu 10.10 RAID5 NAS Performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammynl

Occasional Visitor
Would like to share with the DIY folks that I've installed Ubuntu Server 10.10 X64 on a box and the performance is great. This Ubuntu version is much faster than 9.xx versions.
capturepnd.jpg

When performing a data restore to the NAS (5*1 TB disks in the Linux RAID array with 256k chuncksize) from a Windows7 X64 client using Robocopy, in total 376 GB was written to the NAS in 1 hour and 7 minutes, that is 95.1 MB/second! I think that is an impressive write-speed considering the amount of data and the large number of 13000+ files.

10645282.jpg

Last edited:
sammynl,

Thanks for your sharing. I am doing research for build a low power consumption but fast NAS.

Do you have chance to test the read/write performance on a single HDD rather than raid 5?

Also, I am thinking about use mini-ATX+ATOM cpu to build the NAS, any suggestion? I will probably put 4~6 HDD on it

Thanks
Kosiko