What's new

Unable to login to RT-AC68U's web gui admin after a few weeks of uptime?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

onedollarinmywallet

Occasional Visitor
I'm seeing a strange issue on my RT-AC68U's (one is primary, the second an AiMesh node, that is on a wired ethernet backhaul back to the main router). After a few weeks of uptime, I am unable to login to the webgui admin page (192.168.1.1) of the router, even though I am able to ping my router. Internet still works (that's how I am able to write this message) and client connections still works though. It's just that I can't bring up the web admin gui of the router.

A reboot or power cycle will resolve it but then after a few weeks later, the same symptoms occur again. Even the ASUS router app on Android can't access the router on the local WLAN. Both the primary and AiMesh nodes are running version 3.0.0.4.384.45717.

I'm going to update the same firmware again over it to see if it fixes it but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this issue?

Thanks.

instead of reboot you could try SSH and enter command: service restart_httpd
first you will have to enable SSH access on routers admin page.

Last edited:
Are you running any 3rd party stuff on your router or is it stock firmware only?

Are you running any 3rd party stuff on your router or is it stock firmware only?

ASUS stock firmware, as I'm running AiMesh.

I rebooted both routers today and everything is back to normal. Going to update the firmware on both routers now (to the same firmware) to see if that will help.

I'm seeing a strange issue on my RT-AC68U's (one is primary, the second an AiMesh node, that is on a wired ethernet backhaul back to the main router). After a few weeks of uptime, I am unable to login to the webgui admin page (192.168.1.1) of the router, even though I am able to ping my router. Internet still works (that's how I am able to write this message) and client connections still works though. It's just that I can't bring up the web admin gui of the router.

A reboot or power cycle will resolve it but then after a few weeks later, the same symptoms occur again. Even the ASUS router app on Android can't access the router on the local WLAN. Both the primary and AiMesh nodes are running version 3.0.0.4.384.45717.

I'm going to update the same firmware again over it to see if it fixes it but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this issue?

Thanks.
Try using another web browser. For a while Firefox failed, but Explorer was able to connect to my gui at 192168.1.1. Don't know why. Don't have that problem now. You can also follow guidelines for clean reflash of firmware then resetting to factory defaults; then setting up the router with new SSIDs. You can keep all the same passwords. It takes time but it has solved many problems for me when nothing else worked. Even my VoIP works better after doing so. Do a search here for the guidelines on reflashing firmware.

I have the same issue on my AC88U. I am running latest Merlin version (the first with AiMesh, though I am not using AiMesh).
- I type the address, the Login page appears
- I enter my credentials (so even that is possible), but then the configuration page simply does not load.

I also noticed the following:
- Only a hard reset solves the issue. I tried once to schedule a soft reset at night every 2 days, but that resulted in clients not being able to connect anymore.
- After a hard reset, I notice that some data (e.g. trafic statistics) are not recorded for several days. This means that the problem already existed for several days before my login.
- I could use an SSH reset, but this still means I have no clue when I lost functionality and e.g. recording as this is not a preventive method.
- when I try to ping some nodes, they do not respond. They have a fixed IP address providd bupy the router. After a soft reboot, still the same issue: they are not even in the DHCP list.

Last edited:
I had the same issue on my RT-AC88U on stock firmware after a couple of weeks: admin login via web ui no long worked and required a reboot.

I read somewhere that enforcing https for web logins was what was causing this.
I disabled it, so use http, and web ui login continued to work even after 150 days of router uptime.

I also unplugged a USB stick that was attached 24/7 to my router. Not sure if that helped.

Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!