What's new

Unable to select “Get the dns from your ISP automatically”

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phneeley

Occasional Visitor
Hi, everyone. I’ve been using a custom DNS for a long time, but for various reasons I’d like to go back using the DNS assigned by the ISP automatically. However, for some reason I can’t seem to select that option in the ”Assign” DNS menu. All the other radio buttons (e.g., Adguard, Google, etc.) function as expected, but the button next to “Get the DNS IP from your ISP automatically” won’t take. Any ideas why that might be?

IMG_0654.png

Is you WAN type static or DHCP? It won’t work with static.

Yes, it’s static. In that case, how do I remove the custom DNS settings? I don’t want to use any of the pre-set options, and if I try to erase the current custom DNS and apply settings, they don’t take.

Yes, it’s static. In that case, how do I remove the custom DNS settings? I don’t want to use any of the pre-set options, and if I try to erase the current custom DNS and apply settings, they don’t take.
Well, as dave14305 said it won't work. Using a static IP address you have to specify the DNS settings as well. In your case look up what the ISP uses for DNS and enter those values in the manual setting area at the bottom of the DNS List.

With that said, the ISP DNS servers may not work any better than any others. And you will not have your queries filtered from malware and other bad sites. Using Cloudflare Secure (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2), Quad9 or one of the other "safe" DNS resolvers is your better bet.

Last edited:
Yes, it’s static.

You have to specify WAN DNS servers with static WAN IP. There is no DHCP to tell your router what the servers are.

1698584501038.png

With that said, the ISP DNS servers may not work any better than any others.

ISP DNS servers are almost guaranteed faster. If DNS filtering services are better or not - the user have to decide.

You have to specify WAN DNS servers with static WAN IP. There is no DHCP to tell your router what the servers are.

View attachment 53865
Well, as dave14305 said it won't work. Using a static IP address you have to specify the DNS settings as well. In your case look up what the ISP uses for DNS and enter those values in the manual setting area at the bottom of the DNS List.

With that said, the ISP DNS servers may not work any better than any others. And you will not have your queries filtered from malware and other bad sites. Using Cloudflare Secure (1.1.1.2 and 1.0.0.2), Quad9 or one of the other "safe" DNS resolvers is your better bet.

Thanks!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!