What's new

Wi-Fi has intermittently turned off, and I keep having DNS issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jamess7995

New Around Here
Hello all, not really sure what to provide or where to start but I'm pretty capable and if you request more info and tell me what you want, I should get that to you pretty quickly. I was supposed to start work 1 hour ago, but I can't since my internet isn't working. This started about 2.5 weeks ago. My router, ASUS AX88U , was not showing a red led for internet (globe icon). However trying to visit sites failed on any device, or any os, running a ping command from terminal got the error "ping: apple.com: Temporary failure in name resolution", so I started thinking it was a dns issue. I went into the Asus router firmware webpage, which is using the latest merlin firmware. I checked the DNS settings, no special custom config there at the moment, 2 months ago there was a pi-hole it was using but I've removed that from the equation for unrelated reasons. I've tried different DNS settings anyway, no luck though. I thought Xfinity was the problem, and when they couldn't fix it, I left my home for the weekend and called Verizon and setup an appointment to have them install internet and I could cancel my service through xfinity. When I came back home 2 days later, internet was working, I still switched to Verizon and that's our ISP now.

That went well until a week later the router showed its 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network icons were not lit up. I went to the asus router webpage, and it had an orange banner at the top saying wifi is turned off, asking if I’d like to turn it on. It was that simple, I clicked turn on and my issue was resolved until it turned itself off 24 hours later again, the same resolution worked again. The issue with it turning wifi off automatically didn’t come back until today. Today I get home for work at 10 am, and the router’s got the wifi turned off. I go to the router webpage and turn it on thinking cool, I’m gonna get to clock in even later now. Instead that part was fixed but I still can’t connect to the internet. So now I’ve got Wi-Fi, for now, until it turns itself off, a Verizon modem that doesn’t give me internet when plugged into my computer instead of the router, and when the modem is plugged into the router and I use ethernet or wifi from the router, still no internet. No internet in all cases mentioned means, I can’t access websites, firefox will say “Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site. We can’t connect to the server at www.verizon.com.”. Pings will fail in terminal “ping: apple.com: Temporary failure in name resolution”.

On one hand the commonality is my router and home network devices. On the other hand, I don’t get internet when plugged from the verizon modem to the desktop. But my router is doing funky, possibly unrelated, stuff with the wifi turning off and on. I’m on the phone with verizon now, idk if they’re going to be able to help though, and I can’t contact Asus cause they’re gonna blame the custom firmware.

Here’s some logs from the AX88U. Interesting, they start at December 1st, today, then go to May 5th, then December 1st, then November 30th .

EDIT: Verizon got their Modem to work when plugged into one computer, that doesn’t help me a lot, since I use more than one device and not all devices can be wired, but that tells us the modem is “working” and that the router “isn’t”.

Factory reset the router and just setup the basics, user name, password, SSID, PSK.

If the router still cannot connect to the internet it may be because the Verizon modem is associated with the MAC address of your PC. To get around this either, a) power off the modem and router for 2 minutes, turn the modem back and wait for it to boot up, then turn the router on, or b) clone the MAC address of your PC on the router's WAN page.

EDIT: Verizon got their Modem to work when plugged into one computer, that doesn’t help me a lot, since I use more than one device and not all devices can be wired, but that tells us the modem is “working” and that the router “isn’t”.