What's new

Unbound Unbound GUI Stats including Top Blocked, Top Replies, Today's Replies

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

juched

Very Senior Member
Hello Everyone,

I have worked on extending the Unbound stats, from currently the stats around lookup times, cache hit, etc, to also allow you to see the details on the replies happening on your network. Since I have diversion disabled, I was missing some of the reports it would generate, so this allows me to see some of the same data/

I have not made this part of the main branch as it requires logging of replies and local actions, which may have an impact on performance, so I wasn't ready to suggest that to everyone yet. However, to allow others to try, I thought I would post here what I have done, and how to set up your self for this as well.

High-level review for what I have done, yes there may be other ways to do the same, so up to you:
  1. Disabled dnsmasq DNS portion. Since it all just passes to unbound anyways with no diversion blocking for me, I wanted to skip the extra step. Also, this allows unbound to get the client IP, so you can see in the reports who is making the request.
  2. Configured unbound to allow for anyone on the network to speak to it, (not just localhost) since it needs to accept all requests from clients on the network. Also changed the port to 53 since dnsmasq is no longer the proxy for requests.
  3. Configured unbound to enable local-actions and replies logs. I also enabled the use of syslog-ng. This way I can get data on what was requested, and what was blocked explicitly. By using syslog-ng, it benefits from the in-memory handling of logs to not slow down unbound (as I understand syslog-ng).
  4. Created an hourly job to process the unbound logs, and insert them into an SQLite DB, so we can generate stats and output lists in the UI of the router. This script also cleans the unbound logs as well as removes any stats from the DB older than 7 days.
  5. Updated the stats script to output the new graphs and tables.

To do this, the following steps are what I took.

1. Create or update /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file and insert line:
Code:
port=0
dhcp-option=lan,6,192.168.0.1

Make sure you enter your router IP. This tells DHCP to send your your router as the DNS server.

You can either reboot at the end, or run the command to restart dnsmasq:
Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

2. Create or update /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add and insert lines:
Code:
port: 53
interface: 0.0.0.0
access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 allow
log-replies: yes
log-local-actions: yes
log-tag-queryreply: yes
use-syslog: yes
extended-statistics: yes

The first 3 lines change the port to be the main DNS handler and open permissions for all clients on your network. The log lines enable output in a format for my script to handle and the last one just ensures extended-stats is enabled for some of the existing UI stats.

use-syslog means you need to have Scribe installed. If you don't want to use scribe, it "should" work with normal logs, just leave out that line.

3. Install the develop version of stats.
This can be done via unbound_manager. Make sure you are running the latest build of 2.18. If it shows an update is available, run the "u" command then run:
Code:
sgui dev

Restart unbound services using the "rs" command if it hasn't restarted yet.

At this point you should see changes to the Unbound tab under Addons in Asus-Merlin. the logs are processed at 57 minutes on the hour, and the stats are updated at 59 minutes on the hour. You may need to wait for them to run to get stats, or you can force them by running:
Code:
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_log.sh
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh generate

Top 10 blocked domains (over last 7 days):
upload_2020-3-27_10-36-52-png.22207

Top 10 DNS replies with return code (over last 7 days):
upload_2020-3-27_10-38-54-png.22210

Today's DNS replies - limited to 250:
upload_2020-4-8_16-4-9.png

Last edited:
I think there will still be a problem, dnsmasq needs a listening port. I'm using the method that FW Merlin uses with Stubby. That is, Unbound with interface 127.0.1.1 and port 53.
Code:
127.0.1.1@53
on /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Code:
server:127.0.1.1
Try suppressing access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 allow
and let dnsmasq take care of this service.
/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
With this method, you may experience connection problems if the unbound process dies.

• Disabled dnsmasq DNS portion. Since it all just passes to unbound anyways with no diversion blocking for me, I wanted to skip the extra step. Also, this allows unbound to get the client IP, so you can see in the reports who is making the request.
A bold move, but might be a deal-breaker for people who rely on dnsmasq to resolve local hostnames. Perhaps better than disabling DNS with port=0 might be to change dnsmasq to a non-53 port and configure Unbound to forward your local domain (e.g. home.lan) to 127.0.0.1:5353 (pick your own port).

Also, how does it behave on a reboot to disable dnsmasq? I went down this road once but it just wasn't important enough for me to take the risk.

A bold move, but might be a deal-breaker for people who rely on dnsmasq to resolve local hostnames. Perhaps better than disabling DNS with port=0 might be to change dnsmasq to a non-53 port and configure Unbound to forward your local domain (e.g. home.lan) to 127.0.0.1:5353 (pick your own port).

Also, how does it behave on a reboot to disable dnsmasq? I went down this road once but it just wasn't important enough for me to take the risk.

Rebooting works fine. I was a bit concerned about the NTP on startup, so I switched to an IP for the NTP settings used on boot (I use ntpdMerlin after that). I used one from time.google.com pool (216.239.35.0) and one from time.cloudflare.com pool (162.159.200.1).

Also, for local hostnames you can add other entires like:
Code:
local-zone: "myname.lan." static
local-data: "service.myname.lan. IN A 192.168.0.50"

---- edit ----

Not a bad idea to forward back to dnsmasq for local entires. I don't use local network resolution myself, so how does that work? Does every DHCP machine name get auto added to the dnsmasq domain lookup? Or do clients register themselves to be added to the local dns name?

Something like this?
Code:
forward-zone:
  name: "myname.lan."
  forward-addr: 127.0.0.1@5353

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I have worked on extending the Unbound stats, from currently the stats around lookup times, cache hit, etc, to also allow you to see the details on the replies happening on your network. Since I have diversion disabled, I was missing some of the reports it would generate, so this allows me to see some of the same data/

I have not made this part of the main branch as it requires logging of replies and local actions, which may have an impact on performance, so I wasn't ready to suggest that to everyone yet. However, to allow others to try, I thought I would post here what I have done, and how to set up your self for this as well.

High-level review for what I have done, yes there may be other ways to do the same, so up to you:
  1. Disabled dnsmasq DNS portion. Since it all just passes to unbound anyways with no diversion blocking for me, I wanted to skip the extra step. Also, this allows unbound to get the client IP, so you can see in the reports who is making the request.
  2. Configured unbound to allow for anyone on the network to speak to it, (not just localhost) since it needs to accept all requests from clients on the network. Also changed the port to 53 since dnsmasq is no longer the proxy for requests.
  3. Configured unbound to enable local-actions and replies logs. I also enabled the use of syslog-ng. This way I can get data on what was requested, and what was blocked explicitly. By using syslog-ng, it benefits from the in-memory handling of logs to not slow down unbound (as I understand syslog-ng).
  4. Created an hourly job to process the unbound logs, and insert them into an SQLite DB, so we can generate stats and output lists in the UI of the router. This script also cleans the unbound logs as well as removes any stats from the DB older than 7 days.

Code:
port=0

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

2. Create or update /opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add and insert lines:
Code:

The first 3 lines change the port to be the main DNS handler and open permissions for all clients on your network. The log lines enable output in a format for my script to handle and the last one just ensures extended-stats is enabled for some of the existing UI stats.

use-syslog means you need to have Scribe installed. If you don't want to use scribe, it "should" work with normal logs, just leave out that line.

This can be done via unbound_manager. Make sure you are running the latest build of 2.18. If it shows an update is available, run the "u" command then run:
Code:
sgui dev

At this point you should see changes to the Unbound tab under Addons in Asus-Merlin. the logs are processed at 57 minutes on the hour, and the stats are updated at 59 minutes on the hour. You may need to wait for them to run to get stats, or you can force them by running:
Code:

View attachment 22466
Very nice! It's nice to see my amateur code and dev work used as a base in other projects :)
Now do realtime logging ;-) at least, that's on the roadmap for uiDivStats to be able to tail the dns queries in the WebUI a la Pi-Hole

Last edited:
I think there will still be a problem, dnsmasq needs a listening port. I'm using the method that FW Merlin uses with Stubby. That is, Unbound with interface 127.0.1.1 and port 53.
Code:
127.0.1.1@53
on /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Code:
server:127.0.1.1
Try suppressing access-control: 0.0.0.0/0 allow
and let dnsmasq take care of this service.

With this method, you may experience connection problems if the unbound process dies.

Thanks for the info. I will see about trying it, but running this way for over a week now, everything works fine. Yes, if unbound service dies, then it will impact the ability to browse and all DNS is down, but dnsmasq works just fine with port=0; I dont' see the need to introduce yet another service forwarding requests to another.

Hello Everyone,

Code:
port=0

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

Code:

Code:
sgui dev

Code:

View attachment 22466
How much of a CPU hit do you see with the hourly log processing?

Rebooting works fine. I was a bit concerned about the NTP on startup, so I switched to an IP for the NTP settings used on boot (I use ntpdMerlin after that). I used one from time.google.com pool (216.239.35.0) and one from time.cloudflare.com pool (162.159.200.1).

Also, for local hostnames you can add other entires like:
Code:
local-zone: "myname.lan." static
local-data: "service.myname.lan. IN A 192.168.0.50"

---- edit ----

Not a bad idea to forward back to dnsmasq for local entires. I don't use local network resolution myself, so how does that work? Does every DHCP machine name get auto added to the dnsmasq domain lookup? Or do clients register themselves to be added to the local dns name?

Something like this?
Code:
forward-zone:
  name: "myname.lan."
  forward-addr: 127.0.0.1@5353
Yes, I had posted an example way back here: Unbound - Authoritative Recursive Caching DNS Server

EDIT: I see I was testing differently, with dnsmasq listening only on the loopback and Unbound presumably listening on br0.

Interested in this! Great work @juched

/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
port=5353

service forwarding requests to another.
unbound.postconf
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh
logger -t "(dnsmasq.postconf)" "Updating $CONFIG for unbound....."
if [ -n "$(pidof unbound)" ];then
        pc_delete "servers-file" $CONFIG
        pc_delete "no-negcache" $CONFIG
        pc_delete "domain-needed" $CONFIG
        pc_delete "bogus-priv" $CONFIG
        pc_replace "cache-size=1500" "cache-size=0" $CONFIG
fi

I think that's what you want
Log's:
Code:
Apr 08 18:20:49 unbound[4677:0] notice: init module 0: dns64
Apr 08 18:20:49 unbound[4677:0] notice: init module 1: validator
Apr 08 18:20:49 unbound[4677:0] notice: init module 2: iterator
Apr 08 18:20:49 unbound[4677:0] info: start of service (unbound 1.9.6).
Apr 08 18:20:51 unbound[4677:0] info: generate keytag query _ta-4f66. NULL IN
Apr 08 18:20:52 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 youtubei.googleapis.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.919234 0 69
Apr 08 18:20:52 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 clients3.google.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 1.466845 0 89
Apr 08 18:20:53 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 youtubei.googleapis.com. A IN NOERROR 0.694327 0 57
Apr 08 18:20:53 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 clients3.google.com. A IN NOERROR 0.480974 0 77
Apr 08 18:20:55 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 safebrowsing.googleapis.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.454100 0 73
Apr 08 18:20:55 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 www.gstatic.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.550986 0 61
Apr 08 18:20:55 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 safebrowsing.googleapis.com. A IN NOERROR 0.218787 0 61
Apr 08 18:20:55 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 www.gstatic.com. A IN NOERROR 0.270147 0 49
Apr 08 18:21:40 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 api-global.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 0.782349 0 242
Apr 08 18:21:40 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 api-global.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 0.782349 0 242
Apr 08 18:21:40 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 api-global.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 1.820851 0 242
Apr 08 18:21:40 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 api-global.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 1.820851 0 242
Apr 08 18:21:51 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 ichnaea.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 0.817625 0 233
Apr 08 18:21:51 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.11 ichnaea.netflix.com. A IN NOERROR 0.817625 0 233
Apr 08 18:21:59 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.18 bag.itunes.apple.com. A IN NOERROR 1.873209 0 179
Apr 08 18:21:59 unbound[4677:0] reply: 10.0.30.18 bag.itunes.apple.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 1.873209 0 303

Last edited:
unbound.postconf
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
        pc_delete "domain-needed" $CONFIG
        pc_delete "bogus-priv" $CONFIG
fi

Yes, those are the logs with client IP. I take it you are using unbound.conf.add (or unbound.postconf in the /opt folder) to change the port for unbound to 53, so clients talk to it directly?

Who would talk to dnsmasq on port 5353? Why keep it around?

Who would talk to dnsmasq on port 5353? Why keep it around?
I assume that by omitting port 53 for dnsmasq, you are assuming DHCP only, that is, IP distribution and leases. It is necessary to organize a service port for the firewall to be organized. It was improvised to indicate the door. You need to see the firewall.
Well, I can be wrong. We are improving.

I assume that by omitting port 53 for dnsmasq, you are assuming DHCP only, that is, IP distribution and leases. It is necessary to organize a service port for the firewall to be organized. It was improvised to indicate the door. You need to see the firewall.
Well, I can be wrong. We are improving.

Interesting. Seems to me the firewall is working fine, I am seeing blocked traffic from skynet still. Also, I can browse and upnp works ( although I do limit it to 2 devices only).

Yes, dnsmasq still operates but just for leases. Only the DNS side stops.

Let’s see what we find with testing.

Interesting. Seems to me the firewall is working fine, I am seeing blocked traffic from skynet still. Also, I can browse and upnp works ( although I do limit it to 2 devices only).

Yes, dnsmasq still operates but just for leases. Only the DNS side stops.

Let’s see what we find with testing.
You're right.

Actually, port=0 disables only the DNS function, leaving port 67 DHCP.
Code:
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:67              0.0.0.0:*                           3398/dnsmasq

Done.

unbound.conf

Code:
server:
    # Interface and port answer

on dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
port=0

on unbound.postconf insert dhcp-option=lan,6,IP ROUTER,0.0.0.0
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
        pc_append "dhcp-option=lan,6,IP ROUTER,0.0.0.0" $CONFIG
fi

Reboot and enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Log's
Code:
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] notice: init module 0: dns64
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] notice: init module 1: validator
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] notice: init module 2: iterator
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] info: start of service (unbound 1.9.6).
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] info: incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. always_nxdomain 10.0.30.44@57742 incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. A IN
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. A IN NXDOMAIN 0.000000 1 48
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] info: incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. always_nxdomain 10.0.30.44@49669 incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. AAAA IN
Apr 08 22:24:14 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 incoming.telemetry.mozilla.org. AAAA IN NXDOMAIN 0.000000 1 48
Apr 08 22:24:17 unbound[2377:0] info: generate keytag query _ta-4f66. NULL IN
Apr 08 22:24:17 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 e17437.dscb.akamaiedge.net. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.281109 0 100
Apr 08 22:24:17 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 e17437.dscb.akamaiedge.net. A IN NOERROR 0.699268 0 60
Apr 08 22:24:17 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 a1806.dscb.akamai.net. A IN NOERROR 0.476606 0 151
Apr 08 22:24:17 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 a1806.dscb.akamai.net. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.563315 0 179
Apr 08 22:24:20 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 api-glb-mia.smoot.apple.com. A IN NOERROR 0.424305 0 61
Apr 08 22:24:20 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 api-glb-mia.smoot.apple.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.533617 0 73
Apr 08 22:24:22 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 ocsp.apple.com. A IN NOERROR 0.095587 0 98
Apr 08 22:24:22 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 ocsp.apple.com. A IN NOERROR 1.108530 0 98
Apr 08 22:24:22 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 ocsp.apple.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.229998 0 122
Apr 08 22:24:22 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 ocsp.apple.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 1.242941 0 122
Apr 08 22:24:23 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 world-gen.g.aaplimg.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.939353 0 97
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 firefoxusercontent.com. A IN NOERROR 0.354188 0 104
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 firefoxusercontent.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.353039 0 264
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 content-signature-2.cdn.mozilla.net. A IN NOERROR 0.092695 0 157
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 content-signature-2.cdn.mozilla.net. A IN NOERROR 1.092429 0 157
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 firefox.settings.services.mozilla.com. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.995063 0 322
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 firefox.settings.services.mozilla.com. A IN NOERROR 0.995601 0 162
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 push.services.mozilla.com. A IN NOERROR 0.873711 0 97
Apr 08 22:24:25 unbound[2377:0] reply: 10.0.30.44 d2nxq2uap88usk.cloudfront.net. AAAA IN NOERROR 0.074838 0 271

Done.

unbound.conf

Code:
server:
    # Interface and port answer

on dnsmasq.conf.add
Code:
port=0

on unbound.postconf insert dhcp-option=lan,6,IP ROUTER,0.0.0.0
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
        pc_append "dhcp-option=lan,6,IP ROUTER,0.0.0.0" $CONFIG
fi

Yes! Thank you. I forgot that I had set option 6 on dhcp settings. Updated my original post. It can be put straight into the same conf.add as port=0.

Thank you

I set option 42 as well, for NTP.

I set option 42 as well, for NTP.
You have to think about how the user configures his NTP. On the FW Merlin NTP is:
Code:
dhcp-option=lan,42,0.0.0.0
I am thinking of a failover situation, in which the unbound is dead.
Overall, your proposal is correct.

To you, with the request for review:

Code:
logger -t "(dnsmasq.postconf)" "Updating $CONFIG for unbound....."                        # unbound_manager
    pc_append "dhcp-option=lan,6,192.168.44.4,0.0.0.0" $CONFIG
    pc_append "dhcp-option=lan,42,192.168.44.4,0.0.0.0" $CONFIG
    #pc_delete "domain-needed" $CONFIG
    #pc_delete "bogus-priv" $CONFIG
    # By design, if GUI DNSSEC ENABLED then attempt to modify 'cache-size=0' results in dnsmasq start-up fail loop
    #       dnsmasq[15203]: cannot reduce cache size from default when DNSSEC enabled
    #       dnsmasq[15203]: FAILED to start up
    if [ -n "$(grep "^dnssec" $CONFIG)" ];then
        pc_delete "dnssec" $CONFIG
        logger -t "(dnsmasq.postconf)" "**Warning: Removing 'dnssec' directive from 'dnsmasq' to allow DISABLE cache (set 'cache-size=0')"
    fi
    UNBOUNDLISTENADDR="127.0.0.1#53535"

"UNBOUNDLISTENADDR" should also be changed, right?

how can you solve the "rest" of dnsmasq.conf.add with unbound?

local or vpn-client-connection

Code:
interface=wg*

adresse=/checkip.synology.com/0.0.0.0

adresse=/.ftl.ddnss.de/ftl.ddnss.de/svr.home/svr.local/192.168.44.2 (local)
adresse=/.dd.ddnss.de/dd.ddnss.de/svr.home/svr.local/192.168.77.2 (vpn-connection)

Adresse=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120
Adresse=/www.google.de/216.239.38.120
Adresse=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220
Adresse=/www.duckduckgo.com/176.34.155.20

Last edited:
how can you solve the "rest" of dnsmasq.conf.add with unbound?

local or vpn-client-connection

Code:
interface=wg*

adresse=/checkip.synology.com/0.0.0.0

adresse=/.ftl.ddnss.de/ftl.ddnss.de/svr.home/svr.local/192.168.44.2 (local)
adresse=/.dd.ddnss.de/dd.ddnss.de/svr.home/svr.local/192.168.77.2 (vpn-connection)

Adresse=/www.google.com/216.239.38.120
Adresse=/www.google.de/216.239.38.120
Adresse=/www.bing.com/204.79.197.220
Adresse=/www.duckduckgo.com/176.34.155.20
Add statements like these to unbound.conf in the server: section:
Code:
local-data: "checkip.synology.com. A 0.0.0.0"
local-data: "www.google.com. A 216.239.38.120"