What's new

Unbound unbound randomly stop's working and breaks DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zany130

Regular Contributor
so I noticed DNS randomly breaking and when I run the unbound manager I get a message that unbound isn't running trying to run it gives a long error that ends in

unbound[19273:0] fatal error: could not open autotrust file for writing, /root.key.19273-0-26a17400: Permission denied

the full output here https://gist.github.com/zany130/fcdde94eb529c759bae5c5f4c8c61ee0

EDIT: I incorrectly thought that unbound started working again after a reboot but running the unbound manager still shows that it is not running and trying to run it produces the same error so unbound is broken for me don't know what could have caused this I was not even using the internet at the time of the breakage, my sister was the one who told me "chrome is not working but discord is" and I noticed I we where getting DNS errors

Last edited:
so I noticed DNS randomly breaking and when I run the unbound manager I get a message that unbound isn't running trying to run it gives a long error that ends in

unbound[19273:0] fatal error: could not open autotrust file for writing, /root.key.19273-0-26a17400: Permission denied

the full output here https://gist.github.com/zany130/fcdde94eb529c759bae5c5f4c8c61ee0

EDIT: I incorrectly thought that unbound started working again after a reboot but running the unbound manager still shows that it is not running and trying to run it produces the same error so unbound is broken for me don't know what could have caused this I was not even using the internet at the time of the breakage, my sister was the one who told me "chrome is not working but discord is" and I noticed I we where getting DNS errors
From your debug log it shows it is attempting to start version
Code:
[1616637792] unbound[19273:0] notice: Start of unbound 1.13.1.

so from reading that thread Im going to have to uninstall and reinstall unbound?

so from reading that thread Im going to have to uninstall and reinstall unbound?
Try to update entware packages 1st. If unbound stops working than you will have too. You might not have too.

Use the appropiate menu option, i.e. try menu 1 = Update unbound files and configuration
Code:
+======================================================================+
|  Welcome to the unbound Manager/Installation script (Asuswrt-Merlin) |
|                                                                      |
|                      Version 3.23b9 by Martineau                     |
|                                                                      |
+======================================================================+
unbound (pid 7315) is running... uptime: 1 days 19:01:21 version: 1.13.1 # Version=v1.12 Martineau update (Date Loaded by unbound_manager Tue Mar 23 22:52:40 GMT 2021)

u = Push to Github PENDING for (Major) unbound_manager UPDATE v3.23b9 >>>> v3.22

1  = Update unbound files and configuration                     5  = Uninstall Ad and Tracker blocker (Ad Block)
2  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                             6  = Uninstall Graphical Statistics GUI Add-on TAB
3  = Stop unbound                                               7  = Disable   DNS Firewall [?]
4  = Show unbound statistics                                    8  = Uninstall YouTube Ad blocker
                                                                9  = Install Safe Search e.g. google.com->forcesafesearch.google.com

?  = About Configuration                   
v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf')     

e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> 1
and if it doesn't work then use 2 = Remove unbound/unbound_manager then amtm Option 7

thanks, guys this probably happened because I did the update now that I think about it. I just removed and reinstalled and everything is fine thanks.

Can also confirm I’ve had an issue with unbound this evening. Got home from work just now and found webpages not loading and dns not resolving. Updated unbound via ssh and it’s working again. Strange though because everything was working fine all day after I updated files last night.. couldn’t see in the log anything suspicious to have caused it.

Ihave issues after update of Entware files on Saturday morning, Unbound stopped working on evening . Just uninstalled and rebooted.

I was awoken this morning by a temper tantrum over broken internet - an entware update pending knocked out my unbound.
fixed while having the first coffee.

glad it's not just me