What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server) - General questions / discussion thread 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hopefully unbound does actually successfully restart?
see

The 'Advanced' mode menu shows el {Ad Block file}
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')     l  = Show unbound LIVE (Loglevel=1) log entries (lx=Disable Logging)
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                                 v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
x  = Stop unbound                                                   vb = Backup current (/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf) Configuration
                                                                    rl = Reload Configuration (Doesn't halt unbound) e.g. 'rl test1[.conf]' (Recovery use 'rl reset/user')
?  = About Configuration                                            oq = Query unbound Configuration option e.g 'oq verbosity' (ox=Set) e.g. 'ox log-queries yes'
sd = Show dnsmasq Statistics/Cache Size                             s  = Show unbound Extended statistics (s=Summary Totals; sa=All; http://10.88.8.1:80/user1.asp)
                                                                    adblock = Install Ad Block [uninstall | update | track]
DisableFirefoxDoH = Disable Firefox DoH [yes | no]                  youtube = Install YouTube Ad Block [uninstall | update]
Stubby = Enable Stubby Integration                                  DoT = Enable DNS-over-TLS
                                                                    firewall = Enable DNS Firewall [disable | ?]
bind = BIND unbound to WAN [debug | disable | debug show]           vpn = BIND unbound to VPN {vpnid [debug]} | [disable | debug show] e.g. vpn 1

scribe = Enable scribe (syslog-ng) unbound logging                  ad = Analyse Diversion White/Block lists ([ file_name [type=adblock] ])
dnsmasq = Disable dnsmasq [disable | interfaces | nointerfaces]     ea = Edit Ad Block Allowlist (eb=Blocklist; eca=Config-AllowSites; ecb=Config-BlockSites; el {Ad Block file})

<snip>
where the braces { } denote a mandatory argument (as opposed to brackets [ ] which denote optional)

The idea was that you may have several Adblock test files say '/opt/share/config/MyAdblock.txt' that you wish to edit before copying them to the appropriate 'live' file.

So if you (secretly) ignore the menu prompt and do not specify the filename argument, the last (lengthy?) non-standard Adblock file path opened by el (or say ea) will be conveniently reopened.

However, I have uploaded a patched version to enforce the el mandatory argument requirement {Ad Block file} rather than (sneakily) accept it as optional [Ad Block file]
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> el

Ad Block file to be edited not specified
    Ad Block file '' NOT found?
You may test unbound_manager Beta v3.23b8
Code:
[CODE]e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> uf dev

unbound_manager.sh downloaded successfully Github 'dev/development' branch

unbound Manager UPDATE Complete! 6b4a500c071bcbb3f4a6e9596a178d43
To revert to v3.22
Code:

A:Option ==> uf
yes, unbound restarts ok. Thank you, now I understand the adblock files.

running unbound_manager advanced 1.12.0 & 3.23b7 on a 68u running on Merlin 386.2_alpha1-gc52b410e89
i press 3 and when the options show up i notice one says to type in vb to backup the current configuration. So that sounds good to me right?
so i type vb and press enter and this pops up: A:Option ==> vb Invalid Option "vb" Please enter a valid option

so I think maybe it is a typo and really ax for caps lock to be on so I try it and it says: A:Option ==> VB Invalid Option "VB" Please enter a valid option
I guess this option doesnt work for me. Other then this 1 issue everything is running GREAT.

One minor suggestion though. The default install for a 68u is to have only 1 thread going but this router has a dual core cpu. so why not default to 2 threads? I did exactly that and have had no issues. Infact, the inter-webz seem to have more pep running 2 threads instead of 1.

running unbound_manager advanced 1.12.0 & 3.23b7 on a 68u running on Merlin 386.2_alpha1-gc52b410e8
i press 3 and when the options show up i notice one says to type in vb to backup the current configuration.
A:Option ==> VB Invalid Option "VB" Please enter a valid option
I guess this option doesnt work for me. Other then this 1 issue everything is running GREAT.
Whoops, I always knew I was rubbish at scripting :oops:

unbound_manager Beta 3.23bxx was supposed to have an updated vb feature as requested by @mister on Feb. 3rd?

i.e. but I forgot to update the Beta menu...announcing the ability
Code:
i  = Update unbound and configuration ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/')
z  = Remove unbound/unbound_manager                    v  = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/') unbound Configuration (vx=Edit;vh=help)
x  = Stop unbound                                      vb = Backup current (/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf) Configuration [filename]

<snip>
to allow the user to explicity specify the actual backup name rather than use a generic name

e.g.
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> vb myfirstbackup

Active 'unbound.conf' backed up to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/myfirstbackup.conf'
vs.
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> vb

Active 'unbound.conf' backed up to '/opt/share/unbound/configs/20210302-120830_unbound.conf'

I have now uploaded unbound_manager Beta v3.23b9 to reinstate the optional use of a filename for the vb command
You may test unbound_manager

Code:

A:Option ==> uf dev

To revert to v3.22
Code:

A:Option ==> uf

One minor suggestion though. The default install for a 68u is to have only 1 thread going but this router has a dual core cpu. so why not default to 2 threads? I did exactly that and have had no issues. Infact, the inter-webz seem to have more pep running 2 threads instead of 1.
There are many posts regarding 'optimal' settings for unbound, but they don't always work for everyone.

I got a lot of snarky comments during development of unbound_manager when I attempted to auto-tweak the settings..... I recall something along the lines of

"I don't want unbound_manager second guessing my environment, I'm smarter than you and don't need unnecessary bloat features, so leave the tweaks to me"

So basically I gave up and consequently, to ensure that unbound simply works, I created a basic/conservative initial configuration that 'simply' works regardless of the router model.

NOTE: You can place tweaks in '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add' and test them and possibly share with others,

Last edited:
running unbound_manager advanced 1.12.0 & 3.23b7 on a 68u running on Merlin 386.2_alpha1-gc52b410e89
i press 3 and when the options show up i notice one says to type in vb to backup the current configuration. So that sounds good to me right?
so i type vb and press enter and this pops up: A:Option ==> vb Invalid Option "vb" Please enter a valid option

so I think maybe it is a typo and really ax for caps lock to be on so I try it and it says: A:Option ==> VB Invalid Option "VB" Please enter a valid option

Definitely nothing wrong with using 2 threads (or more) if you have a dual/multiple core cpu. I do find things move faster in my case and per the authors advice on tweaks, just make sure to double up on the memory slabs as you can see from my unbound.conf file:

Code:
# no threads and no memory slabs for threads
num-threads: 2
msg-cache-slabs: 4
rrset-cache-slabs: 4
infra-cache-slabs: 4
key-cache-slabs: 4

There are many posts regarding 'optimal' settings for unbound, but they don't always work for everyone.

I got a lot of snarky comments during development of unbound_manager when I attempted to auto-tweak the settings..... I recall something along the lines of

"I don't want unbound_manager second guessing my environment, I'm smarter than you and don't need unnecessary bloat features, so leave the tweaks to me"

So basically I gave up and consequently, to ensure that unbound simply works, I created a basic/conservative initial configuration that 'simply' works regardless of the router model.

NOTE: You can place tweaks in '/opt/share/unbound/configs/unbound.conf.add' and test them and possibly share with others,

That is a huge shame and I feel shocked embarassed that ever happened to you. These little under powered routers barely make use of multi threading as it is. This forum does not have a smiley available here for smacking ones own self in the forehead but if there was i would use it.

Yes, I'd be happy to share the tweaks I have made. I dove into playing with cache size for weeks on end and TTL and lots of other items besides threading.

Another 'bug' spotted in the develop branch, don't know if I should report here or on github:

Screenshot 2021-03-03 075119.png

shouldn't v = View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound ' unbound.conf) be v= View ('/opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound.conf')?
Ahh, the devil is indeed in the detail. :oops:

So the bug report should have stated

"there is a premature quote character embedded in the config filename within the parentheses"​

I blindly thought you were referring to the fact that the closing parenthesis for the title date string had incorrectly overflowed onto the second line of the screen.
(Can happen when dodgy laptops bought on fleabay are advertised as 2560 x 1440 widescreen, but the unscrupulous seller has substituted a fixed 80 x 24 line screen from the 80's! :D)

Hotfix commit a2d9909 applied to unbound_manager v3.23b9

To apply the Hotfix use:
Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

E:Option ==> uf dev

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you try add a 3 seconds delay in /jffs/scripts/post-mount
Code:
#!/bin/sh
...snipped...
/bin/sleep 3s    # give the disk 3 sec to really be ready
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh startup # Unbound_Stats.sh
that fixed it for me too

RT-AX88U on Merlin's 386.2_alpha1. No statistics in the GUI panels of Unbound even though I have the GUI option (#6) enabled Only data on display is in the written text section of the GUI. Unbound via AMTM, statistics there via the panel option #4. Have attempted...
1. Power off/on of AX88U. No Change.
2. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the GUI statistics (via option #6). Before I uninstall and re-install Unbound to see if that corrects, to debug want any data captured?

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 110
  • Pic 4.jpg
    Pic 4.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 104
RT-AX88U on Merlin's 386.2_alpha1. No statistics in the GUI panels of Unbound even though I have the GUI option (#6) enabled Only data on display is in the written text section of the GUI. Unbound via AMTM, statistics there via the panel option #4. Have attempted...
1. Power off/on of AX88U. No Change.
2. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the GUI statistics (via option #6). Before I uninstall and re-install Unbound to see if that corrects, to debug want any data captured?
Did you check this? http://www.snbforums.com/threads/un...-top-replies-todays-replies.63188/post-665989

Thanks, but after those actions went deeper into the hole. My steps from that post were....
- unbound_manager advanced
- scribe
- sgui
- firewall
- adblock track
exit
- /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_log.sh
- /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh generate
Lost the Unbound tab on the Addon tab. had about seven tabs in the Addon tab slection now only two. Powered Router Off/On but no change, only these two tabs now...as per pic.
Question: What's a process to recover the missing tabs for connmon, ntpmerlin, unbound etc to the addon tab?

Attachments

• Pic 6.jpg
    Pic 6.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 114
Thanks, but after those actions went deeper into the hole. My steps from that post were....
- unbound_manager advanced
- scribe
- sgui
- firewall
- adblock track
exit
- /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_log.sh
- /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_stats.sh generate
Lost the Unbound tab on the Addon tab. had about seven tabs in the Addon tab slection now only two. Powered Router Off/On but no change, only these two tabs now...as per pic.
Question: What's a process to recover the missing tabs for connmon, ntpmerlin, unbound etc to the addon tab?
Can you list the output of

Code:
df

ls -lah /tmp/var/wwwext | grep -TE "user[1-9]+.*";grep -TH . /tmp/var/wwwext/*.title;grep -THE "user[1-9]\." /tmp/menuTree.js

For unbound you can try

Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> i s61unbound dev

Updating S61unbound
    S61unbound downloaded successfully Github 'dev/development' branch

then reboot.

Last edited:
One cosmetic question on addon GUI. I did not use adblock from unbound, that part always show No data to display which is correct. I can collapse that part. Somehow when I move to other tab and come back, it gets expanded again. It there a way for it to remember the last set preference and remain collapsed like other addons?

Another question on cache ttl timer. Say I set the min-cache-ttl to 3600, I find that the new ttl value is reflected in Windows ipconfig /displaydns output. In this case, would Windows query less often from unbound? And result in unbound have less queries and less cache hit counts? The cache hits success percentage is what hit unbound. Can I say the actual effectiveness of unbound could be more that the percentage shown because now the cache stays longer in Windows?

Last edited:
Can you list the output of

Code:
df

ls -lah /tmp/var/wwwext | grep -TE "user[1-9]+.*";grep -TH . /tmp/var/wwwext/*.title;grep -THE "user[1-9]\." /tmp/menuTree.js

For unbound you can try

Code:
e  = Exit Script [?]

A:Option ==> i s61unbound dev

Updating S61unbound
    S61unbound downloaded successfully Github 'dev/development' branch

then reboot.
Thanks Martineau! Here's the output...

Did the recovery step, reboot the router. Ironically the only tab on the AddOns tab not restored was "Unbound", all others were restored. :)

Attachments

• Pic 13.jpg
    Pic 13.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Pic 12.jpg
    Pic 12.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Pic 11.jpg
    Pic 11.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Pic 14.jpg
    Pic 14.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 121
Thanks Martineau! Here's the output...

Did the recovery step, reboot the router. Ironically the only tab on the AddOns tab not restored was "Unbound", all others were restored. :)
So you can see in PIC11.jpg there are two mount points for menutree.js ...so a new modified version of /tmp/menutree.js with a new Addon can never be created until one is manually removed.

You can see only two entries 'Flexqos' an 'scmerlin' were physically inserted into /tmp/menutree.js, although the .asp files for other tabs were created.

OK, so if you issue
Code:
umount  /www/require/modules/menuTree.js

df
then re-request the creation of the unbound Addon GUI using sgui does the tab immediately appear?

P.S. I didn't write the GUI for unbound, so @juched will need to fix it to comply with the new enhanced serialisation process method used by the other Addon tabs.

Last edited: