What's new

Unbound unbound_manager (Manager/Installer utility for unbound - Recursive DNS Server) - General questions / discussion thread 2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

whats the differenz from default to 24 hours ?

After updating to the latest Merlin beta and ensuring all addons are updated, I checked Unbound status and notice that it's still on 1.12, though 1.13 was released at the beginning of December: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/download/#unbound-1-13-0

What is the normal cadence for unbound_manager to update unbound when it is updated? I ran an update from within unbound_manager, but it stayed on unbound 1.12.

After updating to the latest Merlin beta and ensuring all addons are updated, I checked Unbound status and notice that it's still on 1.12, though 1.13 was released at the beginning of December: https://nlnetlabs.nl/projects/unbound/download/#unbound-1-13-0

What is the normal cadence for unbound_manager to update unbound when it is updated? I ran an update from within unbound_manager, but it stayed on unbound 1.12.
Not sure what is meant by your use of 'cadence', but unbound_manager.sh only installs the current version of unbound available in the Entware repository
e.g.
Code:
opkg list unbound-*

unbound-anchor - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound anchor utility.
unbound-checkconf - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS configuration checker utility.
unbound-control - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound control utility.
unbound-control-setup - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound control setup utility.
unbound-daemon - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound daemon including 'libevent', 'libmnl', and 'libpthread' to better handle large networks with heavy query loads. Options are available under libraries/network/libunbound to custom trim Unbound for smaller targets.
unbound-host - 1.12.0-1 - This package contains the Unbound DNS lookup utility.
so it is up to the Entware maintainers to manage the unbound-* releases rollout.

EDIT: From their Github

1610725219036.png

Last edited:
Not sure what is meant by your use of 'cadence', but unbound_manager.sh only installs the current version of unbound available in the Entware repository
Use of cadence as in frequency of updates, though you already answered that it is decoupled from unbound_manager and based on Entware.

so it is up to the Entware maintainers to manage the unbound-* releases rollout.

No need to reboot, but will need restart unbound.

Or, you can use advanced mode and change it in memory using the command:

"ox serve-expired-ttl 86400"
This Is The Way.
Thank you.
I've set mine at 1.5d = 129600

Last edited:
Are there any differencie adblock between diversion vs unbound?

-Enable unbound adblock, work fine without diversion

-Enable diversion adblock, work fine . unbound disable adblock.

Which is recomend to use?

I started this comment in the 386.1 thread but now believe it belongs here. I have Unbound and Skynet only installed. I use Unbound's Adblock, DNS, GUI and Youtube options. After a reboot or power cycle the GUI is gone except for the small box with stats in it, the pie charts are gone. It works fine until the reboot. Refreshing the log doesn't help.

I move this comment here because the same thing occurs on my friend's AC86 with 384.19 and the same options.

Stumped, what are we doing wrong?

I started this comment in the 386.1 thread but now believe it belongs here. I have Unbound and Skynet only installed. I use Unbound's Adblock, DNS, GUI and Youtube options. After a reboot or power cycle the GUI is gone except for the small box with stats in it, the pie charts are gone. It works fine until the reboot. Refreshing the log doesn't help.

I move this comment here because the same thing occurs on my friend's AC86 with 384.19 and the same options.

Stumped, what are we doing wrong?

When does the graph work? After you simply restart unbound? Do you immediately get graphs after restarting unbound or do you need to wait until 59 minutes past the hour?

can you share the output of “cru l”?

The db which holds the data is located in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_stats.db.

what is the file size after reboot? Wonder if you have an issue with that file being corrupt. Could try to erase both db files and see if they recreate fine.

After updating the router and the nodes from 384.19 to 386.1 beta 5 ...
I am seeing in the system log the following message
"Attempting to Download 1 of 1 from https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/rpz/"
"Reload unbound for zone named rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch"
It is shown every 15 minutes.

Is this normal? I didn't see this under the 384.19 firmware.

Unbound seems to be working Ok.

After updating the router and the nodes from 384.19 to 386.1 beta 5 ...
I am seeing in the system log the following message
Code:
"Attempting to Download 1 of 1 from https://urlhaus.abuse.ch/downloads/rpz/"
"Reload unbound for zone named rpz.urlhaus.abuse.ch"
It is shown every 15 minutes.

Is this normal? I didn't see this under the 384.19 firmware.

Unbound seems to be working Ok.
You have enabled the DNS firewall in unbound_manager and this creates a cron job every 15 mins
Code:
cru l

<snip>
*/15 * * * * /jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh download #Unbound_RPZ.sh#
to refresh the rules maintained by URLhaus

1611749609013.png

NOTE: The Syslog RPZ messages would be displayed regardless of the firmware version.

Last edited:
I'm currently running the latest RMerlin fw beta5. What's the command to also try running the latest unbound beta script? Thanks.

I'm currently running the latest RMerlin fw beta5. What's the command to also try running the latest unbound beta script? Thanks.

When does the graph work? After you simply restart unbound? Do you immediately get graphs after restarting unbound or do you need to wait until 59 minutes past the hour?

can you share the output of “cru l”?

The db which holds the data is located in /opt/var/lib/unbound/unbound_stats.db.

what is the file size after reboot? Wonder if you have an issue with that file being corrupt. Could try to erase both db files and see if they recreate fine.
The graphs and text data are available soon after restart of Unbound, but not 59 minutes past. A reboot will always clear the data and it takes several minutes for the small text data section to re-appear. How do I save that "cru l" readout? It displays with about 10 lines of data but how to copy? I'm new at this, what a surprise!

The graphs and text data are available soon after restart of Unbound, but not 59 minutes past. A reboot will always clear the data and it takes several minutes for the small text data section to re-appear. How do I save that "cru l" readout? It displays with about 10 lines of data but how to copy? I'm new at this, what a surprise!

Given that it isn't related to waiting until the 59th minute of the hour, it is likely based on something else, so the CRU L command isn't needed.

Does the graph at the top (the % of hits) have a history once it starts drawing? Or is it empty with only details since the restart?

Any unbound errors in the syslog?

Given that it isn't related to waiting until the 59th minute of the hour, it is likely based on something else, so the CRU L command isn't needed.

Does the graph at the top (the % of hits) have a history once it starts drawing? Or is it empty with only details since the restart?

Any unbound errors in the syslog?
No history, no graphs, just the small printed stat box which is also blank for a few minutes. No errors in log. Can uninstall GUI interface and reinstall which fixes issue too, I forgot to say, until reboot.

Edited

Last edited:
Have just upgraded my AX88U to v386 (just released). I upgraded the router from a clean install and have setup everything again from scratch.

It took a bit of time, but it was a good opportunity to clean up (so many unused scripts, etc... installed over the last many months)

@Martineau
- Just checking, is there an upgraded version of Unbound planned for the just released v386?
- Any way to use a beta version until an upgraded version is released via amtm?

@Martineau , do you have any insight as to if/when the Entware guys will update to Unbound 1.13?
Waiting on chrony with NTS as well - hopefully both will be released at the next opkg update.

@Martineau , do you have any insight as to if/when the Entware guys will update to Unbound 1.13?
Waiting on chrony with NTS as well - hopefully both will be released at the next opkg update.
Unbound 1.13 will get picked up in the next Entware release because OpenWRT has already updated their master. I don’t see any sign of them including (i.e. building) the NTS variant of chrony so you may way to update your github issue again as a reminder to them.